What's new

Netgear R7500 w/ R7000 as bridge trouble

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

tommyknocker2121

Occasional Visitor
Has anyone had any experience with an R7500 as the main router and an R7000 as a wireless bridge? I'm having major rubberbanding issues in online FPS in this configuration specifically over the 5 GHz band. It seems fine over the 2.4 GHz band.

Interestingly enough, when the R7000 is the main router and the R7500 is the bridge, things are okay over both the 2.4 GHz and the 5 GHz band. I also happened to have a Netgear EX6200 and that seems fine as a bridge when paired with the R7500 as the main router over both bands.

Has anyone else experienced these issues? Better yet, has anyone found a way to resolve these issues?

R7500 firmware: V1.0.0.52
R7000 firmware: V1.0.3.80_1.1.38
EX6200 firmware: V1.0.0.46_1.1.70

Has anyone had any experience with an R7500 as the main router and an R7000 as a wireless bridge? I'm having major rubberbanding issues in online FPS in this configuration specifically over the 5 GHz band. It seems fine over the 2.4 GHz band.

Interestingly enough, when the R7000 is the main router and the R7500 is the bridge, things are okay over both the 2.4 GHz and the 5 GHz band. I also happened to have a Netgear EX6200 and that seems fine as a bridge when paired with the R7500 as the main router over both bands.

Has anyone else experienced these issues? Better yet, has anyone found a way to resolve these issues?

I think you've answered your own Question here - if the R7000 (which seems to be finally stable if I read the threads here right) works great as the primary AP/Router...

The R7500 is fairly new, and might take some time to work out all the buglets...

Yeah, I realize that's probably the best solution. I was just hoping someone had maybe found a workaround. Right now I'm still using the R7500 as the main router and the R7000 as the bridge -- albeit over the 2.4 GHz band -- and it seems to work pretty well.

On the plus side, the Dynamic QoS seems to work pretty well. At one point I had multiple HD streams with large file downloads going and still had 50 ms ping in BF4 over a 15 Mbps connection.

Here's hoping the kinks get worked out soon. It is such a waste of some decent hardware :(

I will forward this to the Product Line Manager at Netgear. I am sure they will want to understand more as this is an important mode of operation. Can you provide me more detail as to what you mean by "rubberbanding"?

Thanks,

Bob Silver
NETGEAR Networking Assistant

I will forward this to the Product Line Manager at Netgear. I am sure they will want to understand more as this is an important mode of operation. Can you provide me more detail as to what you mean by "rubberbanding"?

Thanks,

Bob Silver
NETGEAR Networking Assistant

Hi Bob,

Thanks. I've already spoken with a number of people at Netgear, including the product manager. Everyone has been extremely helpful. Truly. They already have all the details of the situation and I know it's being worked on.

When I say 'rubberbanding' I mean that when playing games online, everything freezes for a period of time then 'fast forwards' to catch up. It's as if the routers disconnect intermittently.

Here's hoping the bug is eventually found and squashed.

-TK

I hate to bump this but I am still having the same issues. I've updated both routers to the most current firmware, switched 5GHz channels, and relocated the R7000 -- all to no avail.

I'm at the end of my rope. Does anyone have any ideas?

Last edited:
Hi Bob,

Thanks. I've already spoken with a number of people at Netgear, including the product manager. Everyone has been extremely helpful. Truly. They already have all the details of the situation and I know it's being worked on.

When I say 'rubberbanding' I mean that when playing games online, everything freezes for a period of time then 'fast forwards' to catch up. It's as if the routers disconnect intermittently.

Here's hoping the bug is eventually found and squashed.

-TK

Dont know if you have seen it but there was a major firmware release for the 7500 last week. Reports so far are very positive. Dont know if it fixes your issue but I would check it out if you havnt.

Bob

Dont know if you have seen it but there was a major firmware release for the 7500 last week. Reports so far are very positive. Dont know if it fixes your issue but I would check it out if you havnt.

Bob

Hi Bob,

Yes, I've installed the latest firmware update for the R7500 and I'm still having the same issues.

Do you guys think the issue is with the R7500 or the R7000?

[Router] -> [Bridge] -> [Computer]
[R7500] -> [EX6200 5GHz FastLane] -> [Desktop] = No issues
[R75000] -> [R7000 2.4 GHz] - > [Desktop] = No issues
[R7000] -> [R7500 2.4 GHz and 5GHz] -> [Desktop] = No issues
[R7500] -> [R7000 5GHz] -> [Desktop] = Major rubberbanding/ signal drops

Also, in all configurations with the R7500 as the main router, certain websites will not load and online-enabled programs will not run (Google, Facebook, EA Origin). The issues are resolved by rebooting the router.

Hi Bob,

Yes, I've installed the latest firmware update for the R7500 and I'm still having the same issues.

Do you guys think the issue is with the R7500 or the R7000?

[Router] -> [Bridge] -> [Computer]
[R7500] -> [EX6200 5GHz FastLane] -> [Desktop] = No issues
[R75000] -> [R7000 2.4 GHz] - > [Desktop] = No issues
[R7000] -> [R7500 2.4 GHz and 5GHz] -> [Desktop] = No issues
[R7500] -> [R7000 5GHz] -> [Desktop] = Major rubberbanding/ signal drops

Also, in all configurations with the R7500 as the main router, certain websites will not load and online-enabled programs will not run (Google, Facebook, EA Origin). The issues are resolved by rebooting the router.

I have reached out to Netgear again with your specifics. Let me see who I can get to help on this for you. Be back when I hear something.

Bob Silver
Netgear Networking Consultant

Thanks, Bob!

If worse comes to worst, I'm about 45 minutes from Netgear HQ and would be able to drop both units off for them to replicate as is.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!