What's new

Netgear R7800 Firmware 1.0.2.62

• Thread starter Deleted member 22229
  • Start date
  • SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

What were they before?
No idea. I never tested this before. I was just wondering what Bufferbloat is all about so I searched the internet and came across some interesting sites with test possibilities.
I use "managed" switches in my house. Between test PC and R7800 I have 2 of these switches GS108E. Can these play a role in Bufferbloat results?

In 2 weeks time I will have fiber with 1 Gb/s up and down. Will test again.

The grade is just a grade but you can compare real numbers on both firmware with high-res bufferbloat selected.
It will take less time than get advice and results are different with different providers and setup. I have slightly better bufferbloat and wifi throughput with Voxel 62 ( based on Netgear 52) compare to Netgear 62 on 570mbs cable Internet and Docsis 3.1 modem.

I used these settings for the dslreports tests which helped the final drop off;

https://forum.openwrt.org/t/sqm-qos...dslreports-speedtest-bufferbloat-testing/2803

With no QoS this is what I get: F grade.
http://www.dslreports.com/speedtest/45361098

I then turned on QoS and set my speed to 105/34 since my max without QoS was 115/37. This halved my bufferbloat and grade went up to a D.

http://www.dslreports.com/speedtest/45361519

If I look at my history going back to 2017 and Dec 2018 with older firmware ...it was able to get a D with no QoS. Whatever firmware I had in Dec... it was better on bufferbloat out of the box.

I have a new modem on the way and then after that I may try Voxels firmware.

Ok...just arrived and hooked up my SB8200 modem.. its a 3.1 docsis modem but my cable co is only 3.0.. Still I gained 8 more download channels.

I was hoping the 3.1 AQM would still work at docsis 3.0... but dont think it did...I still get an F rating on bufferbloat but some really good speeds; No a modem swap allow didnt help my bufferbloat.

http://www.dslreports.com/speedtest/45367053

I then limited my bandwidth with the R7800 QoS. this is all still .62 NG firmware:

http://www.dslreports.com/speedtest/45367174

Not bad...got bufferbloat to a C wth this combo and overall A rating..

Next up..Voxel I think..

For me on .62, Logs are empty. Nothing. I get the logs emailed to me every morning, so I know they were not empty on .46 where I came from. Are the logs empty for anyone else, or just me? (Advanced -> Administration -> Logs) If it's just me, I guess I'll have to do a reset (I did not reset coming from .46).

Sorry, new to the party and I have question on this. I just upgraded from stock .52 this past Friday to stock .62. Last night I started getting the random dropouts on the 5ghz band like I did on .58 and .60. AppleTV, iphone and laptop all would fluctuate between 460mbps and no signal on a gigabit connection. This did not happen on .52, but as I said, happened pretty frequently on .58 and .60.

Do not have QoS engaged.

I'm not super-savvy on routers and also not a big fan of futzing around with this all the time - should I try Voxel's firmware or just drop back to .52?

Anyone else having issues with .62 and OpenVPN? I run OpenVPN Server on the router, and connect in from work. Formerly I had no problems connecting first time, and kept a stable fast connection as long as I need it. With .62 the VPN connects but traffic is very intermittent with long periods of no traffic, then a few seconds of fast traffic.

Same with Netgear .62 and Voxel .62

Sorry, new to the party and I have question on this. I just upgraded from stock .52 this past Friday to stock .62. Last night I started getting the random dropouts on the 5ghz band like I did on .58 and .60. AppleTV, iphone and laptop all would fluctuate between 460mbps and no signal on a gigabit connection. This did not happen on .52, but as I said, happened pretty frequently on .58 and .60.

Do not have QoS engaged.

I'm not super-savvy on routers and also not a big fan of futzing around with this all the time - should I try Voxel's firmware or just drop back to .52?
.62 is buggy for me on 5 GHz as well.

High pings and instability.

Seeing how long Netgear took to fix the first wave of 5 GHz issues that they brought with .58, I wouldn't be surprised if it takes them a few months to push out another firmware update to hopefully fix these issues, but then break something else in the process.

For me on .62, Logs are empty. Nothing. I get the logs emailed to me every morning, so I know they were not empty on .46 where I came from. Are the logs empty for anyone else, or just me? (Advanced -> Administration -> Logs) If it's just me, I guess I'll have to do a reset (I did not reset coming from .46).

To close the loop on this - I figured out why this is happening. Apparently it is a bug in the firmware that shows up when daylight savings time option is turned on. When I turn off the DST option, logs are magically populated, as well as the traffic meter values are populated again (just noticed that these values were also ZERO when DST is turned on).

So apparently I have to choose between having the correct time or logs/traffic meter values.

.62 is buggy for me on 5 GHz as well.

High pings and instability.

Seeing how long Netgear took to fix the first wave of 5 GHz issues that they brought with .58, I wouldn't be surprised if it takes them a few months to push out another firmware update to hopefully fix these issues, but then break something else in the process.
Having the same issue here as well on 5GHz after upgrading from .52 to .62. Will file a support case with Netgear, let's see what they say about this.

It's been months since the last update for the R7800.

Is NG ever going to get around to fixing the 5 GHz issues or can we consider it a lost cause?

Please don't suggest staying on .52 since I don't want to be on an older firmware.

Might contact NG support about it. If not, say on .52 or try Voxels FW.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!