What's new

Netgear showdown: Nighthawk X8 vs. X10

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

John DeLuca

Regular Contributor
Hello all how are you? I was wondering what router is "better" for my needs. Spec wise you may think it's a no brainer with the X10 1.7ghz Quad core processor vs the 1.3ghz dual core. However things get stick when you look at the wireless specs. The X10 has
  • 802.11ac Quad Stream Wave2 WiFi plus 802.11ad WiFi—Up to 4600+1733+800 Mbps wireless speed
The wireless AD is pretty much useless to me.

The X8 has

Up to 1,000 Mbps @ 2.4GHz 1024 QAM. Up to 2,166 Mbps @ 5 GHz 11ac 1024 QAM (X2)

Overall I would be using the router for gaming and for use in a large home. The only real CPU intensive task I will use is open vpn and will probably use a third party firmware.

I would what what ever would offer me the most range and speed barring AD wifi.

I currently have the GT-AC 5300 which is a beast but buggy as all hell and my parents are getting pissed off at the constant wifi dropping. I may return it I may not Idk yet.

I'd recommend a WRT-54G - you know they'll be reliable after 15 years worth of existence in the market :D

All told though - trading one thing for another - these are all fairly new devices - the Netgear X8/X10, and the Asus GT-AC5300 - so there's bound to be some bugs and opportunities for improvement...

I'd say wait it out - check where Asus is with your current device, as updates are coming out on an ongoing basis..

I like the asus but the other major issue is major bufferbloat on it, where I have minimal on the netgear routers

The only real CPU intensive task I will use is open vpn and will probably use a third party firmware.

The X10 without a shadow of doubt. I had Asus RT-AC5300 (has same internals as X8) and it connected to my desktop pc with Asus PCE-88 card at 2.1gbps link rate. The Netgear X10 connects at 1.7gbps. Does having 400 mbps less make a difference? Absolutely not in my experience, in any case there's not many clients around which support 1024 QAM,

You WILL notice the difference when running Openvpn on a X10 as the 1.7ghz Alpine quadcore processor will make the difference along with 1gb ram.

None of them i bet you dont even have client thats support that kind of speed, dont waste your money on some fantasy speed you dont even get.
Netgear R7000 or a Asus RT-AC68U will be inoff for you i bet you on that or why not a EdgeRouter-X with a Ubiquiti Unifi AP AC PRO

So the big question is X10 or the GT-AC 5300

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Question is, are you happy to be a beta tester for Asus? As good as Asus routers are, I've found them extremely buggy when first released. I've no doubt that one day the GT-AC5300 will be king of the routers (it has very impressive hardware specs) but that day isn't soon.

If you want something that works out of the box, go for the X10 or the R7800 both are brilliant routers and you can easily install third party fw such as DD-WRT which gives you far, far more functionality than stock firmware.

I have no issue beta testing it's just my parents are not lol. But I think the guys on the forum found a work around to make it more stable.

Also someone on another thread was saying that the Qualcomm Atheros wifi in the netgear is better then the Broadcom wifi. Plus Idk if it's just marketing bs or the active antennas in the netgear actually help range, my theory is that It would especially if I crank up the TX Power going through them.

Why spend so much for an X10 with a wireless technology (802.11ad) that you will probably never ever use?

Why spend so much for an X10 with a wireless technology (802.11ad) that you will probably never ever use?

Very true that's why I probably won't get it. I was told that it's wifi chip is better then asus's chip. But I believe the X8 uses the same brand chip as asus. I was able to somehow get 80mb speeds WITH nordvpn using the windows client not the router. I'm going to test it in the router soon.

the X10 has things other than the 11ad stuff... nice radios (QCA Wave 2), and the AL314 is very cool...

The 10Gbe SFP slot might be useful to some...

the X10 has things other than the 11ad stuff... nice radios (QCA Wave 2), and the AL314 is very cool...

The 10Gbe SFP slot might be useful to some...

See, here's the problem: It's only good for some users, namely those in the professional tech industry with enterprise-grade server setups. The Nighthawk x10 was supposed to be a consumer-grade home router, or at least that's the way it was marketed. Netgear also marketed their ReadyNAS 520 and 620 series towards "home users" (when you go to the "Home" splash page and go to "Network Storage", those options show up), but those NAS units don't even have SFP+ ports, just Copper (RJ-45) 10GbE ports. Perhaps the home router and NAS developing teams at Netgear were not communicating with each other when they developed these products, or they did it that way on purpose because the office politics between those teams are really godawful. Basically, if you want to take full advantage of the x10's SFP+ port at the full 10GbE speed, you will need the following:

-1 SFP+ active optical cable w/fiber optic modules on each end ($60.00 - $120.00, conservative estimates depending on length required for one's setup, Netgear charges about $75.00 plus tax and shipping for their 3m/10 ft cable off of Amazon);
-1 enterprise-grade networking switch with both RJ-45 10GbE and SFP+ 10GbE I/Os ($500.00+, assuming we're only talking about a 8 port switch);
-1 Cat6/6A Copper 10GbE cable ($5.00+ per cable off of Monoprice);
-Netgear ReadyNAS 526x or 626x - You know what? Let's go with the 626x, since it has a quad-core Xeon processor and 8 GB of ECC DDR4, as opposed to the 526x's dual-core processor and 4 GB of ECC DDR4 if you're really feeling the need for speed ($1800.00, diskless. With drives, add a couple of hundred/thousand to that price tag).

So, in the end, your $500 "home" router just turned into a $5000 amateur enterprise-grade server just so you could take advantage of one port's top speed.

Hey, here's a crazy idea, Netgear. How about ditching the SFP+ port on a wireless router marketed towards home and small-business clients, and replacing it with a Copper 10GbE port, since most people in home networking are more likely to have those kinds of cables lying around, anyways? Plus, since your high-end NAS options marketed towards home and small-business clients already have those types of ports and not SFP+ ports, you could get rid of several middlemen in my above-mentioned list, saving your clients hundreds/thousands of dollars. Or better yet, maybe for the Nighthawk x12, you can just upgrade all of the 1GbE ports to Copper 10GbE ports, and maybe the next-gen ReadyNAS' will support 2 x Copper 10GbE port aggregation with that router following suit with its port aggregation options. After all, for what you want me to pay for a 3m/10 ft SFP+ cable, I could buy 2 x 25 ft Cat6A Copper cables from Blue Jeans Cable that can operate at the exact same speed as that SFP+ cable. The upcoming iMac Pro, as well as other newer motherboards and chipsets, such as the X299, will include Copper 10GbE ports on them, so you might as well get with the times and upgrade.

Last edited:
The X10 is seriously overkill/overpriced for your needs, if you don't need link aggregation, CPU power, Wireless AD, SFP port........ The R7800 has the same WiFi chipset and yet performs better in 5Ghz than the R9000 and similar in 2.4 Ghz (I was a tester for both). The Netgear R7800 / Synology RT-AC2600 / Asus AC88U are probably as far as you want to go. An R7000, WRT1900AC or AC68U might be the most economical overall for your needs.

Last edited:

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!