What's new

NetGear SRXN3205

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

iconeater

Occasional Visitor
enus_3-4lft-lores_srxn3205.jpg

Can anyone give me real world use of this router. I currently have The D-Link DGL-4500 of which I have now gone thru two of them, Such a horribly unreliable router. I don't need anymore bad firmware, and poor performance.

I am looking at the NetGear SRXN3205, but I can't get any good info on this router. Like it's performance, reliability, If it supports Jumbo Frames, etc..?

So if anyone here has this router and any useful PRE-SALES knowledge of know issues and whatnot I'd be extremely grateful.

Thanks.

I have one arriving in the morning, i ,like you, stuggled to get any information on these units!

No problems so far, runs smooth and a great deal quicker than my previous router, i havent set up VPN yet so i cannot comment on that, but its very well built with a small PSU, (no bigger than a plug) web interface works on Safari (MAC) aerials are huge with good gain,

No problems so far, runs smooth and a great deal quicker than my previous router, i havent set up VPN yet so i cannot comment on that, but its very well built with a small PSU, (no bigger than a plug) web interface works on Safari (MAC) aerials are huge with good gain,

Thank You!!!!

Looking forward to your next post.

I just purchased this router so I will also update this thread with my findings. I will test it with both Mac (10.5-10.6) and PC (Xp and 7)environments. I hope I can help anyone looking to purchase this router make a more informed choice.

My hope is to have it up and running within one week and my first tests there after.

Look forward to your post, i am still getting used to it, if you register the device at mynetgear and ask for the new firmware it solves the certificate issue.

Just Un Boxed it!

WOW This thing is Big!

26406564d05.jpg

Yeah that's the PoS DGL-4500 from D-Link next to it.

So far I have this just setup with the basics. and a little security.

Mac filtering, etc. I have it set to 5ghz only cause that's all i need. It's range is WAY BETTER than the DGL-4500. Throughput on my first test is also faster.

Hang in there, like i said just unboxed this thing and have not really had time to fully evaluate it. I'll post more soon.

Mac OSX 10.5 & SSL VPN

It will connect and it will work in Firefox. It installs a Java applet, clients must have install rights to run it.

Firmware bug--The certificate expired, which causes a security error on all browsers which will freak out most users. Reports from other forums suggest the latest beta firmware 3.03-19.4 corrects this issue.
2642174269c.jpg

After being on hold FOeva trying to get this firmware sent to me as IT IS NO WHERE ON THE NETGEAR SITE. I am happy to share with you all.

Remember this is BETA PROCEED AT YOU'RE OWN RISK

This is the link they sent
http://www.filejumbo.com/Download/37AA0E63AA1FBF28/

To be on the SAFE side here are links to the Current Official release version 3.0.3-18
http://www.netgear.de/de/Support/download.html?func=Detail&id=12388
(yeah it's from the dutch site---no love for USA)

I got them to send me this one too (one I'll use if i need to roll back)
http://www.filejumbo.com/Download/C399138771C6BB79/

So far with this router I have found that you can really get crazy with the routing, Nat, firewall, etc.. Lots of things to play with.

I am disappointed, to say the least, with Netgear's website and the lack of firmware info, forum support for the Prosafe line, and general phone support. In my research I have found a support number specifically for the Prosafe which I will call later and test out. (have 90 days free support so i might as well use it) 1-800-448-1696.

Another area I am disappointed in is the administration page layout. WOW, is it laid out poor. BUT, it may just be that I'm used to D-links, Belkins, Cisco, Linksys, and the others and that it will grow on me. This is my first Netgear.

I will post more soon with the results of the firmware upgrade, and general performance testing. So far, I really like this router, but it's new and you know how that is.

Last edited by a moderator:
i would advise you to remove any links to betafirmwares from this website.
im pretty sure you have signed a so called mini-nda before receiving the firmware (netgear always does this). by making the firmware available to the public, you are violating that mini-nda. not a very nice thing to do.

if you havent signed any mini-nda by any chance (unlikely) i would still suggest to remove the links to the beta-firmware before someone from netgear sees this, as it would only result in lots of trouble.

It will connect and it will work in Firefox. It installs a Java applet, clients must have install rights to run it.

Firmware bug--The certificate expired, which causes a security error on all browsers which will freak out most users. Reports from other forums suggest the latest beta firmware 3.03-19.4 corrects this issue.
2642174269c.jpg

the screenshot you have posted is just the generic browser error you get when you have a device with selfsigned certificates. you can get rid of it in firefox by defining an exception. you will see similar errors on any device that uses ssl-encrypted webinterfaces. the error you describe is with the active-x certificate in the router. that again has nothing to do with your screenshot and only affects ie6/7/8 as those are the only browsers supporting active-x.

with firefox you will never encounter the expired certificate.

p.s.: that the betafirmware is nowhere on the website is completely normal. engineering-releases are internal and you have to sign ndas to even get it.

the screenshot you have posted is just the generic browser error you get when you have a device with selfsigned certificates. you can get rid of it in firefox by defining an exception. you will see similar errors on any device that uses ssl-encrypted webinterfaces. the error you describe is with the active-x certificate in the router. that again has nothing to do with your screenshot and only affects ie6/7/8 as those are the only browsers supporting active-x.

with firefox you will never encounter the expired certificate.

p.s.: that the betafirmware is nowhere on the website is completely normal. engineering-releases are internal and you have to sign ndas to even get it.

Wow you really like to talk out of your butt huh?

Look if a Mod wants me not to share this info I will comply.

Furthermore, look at the error closely.. Read it.. and then you will see why this statement "with firefox you will never encounter the expired certificate." is SO WRONG. Did you see the part about this was on OSX?

Oh and by the way I signed nothing, I am under no obligation to keep anything to myself, also the software IS OPEN SOURCE.

So, until an Admin or Mod asks me to stop I will continue to try my best to inform and help those considering this router.

Last edited:
The Beta firmware does have an NDA and i am sure that when you applied for it via Netgear support they asked you first to agree to it, as they did with me.

While it might be a while for the mods to remove your post it might be prudent to edit it yourself to save any hassle.

We all love the idea to share stuff, and its great that people buy expensive gear and share there experiences, but please try to see this from Netgears point of view.

I hope you can see what i mean and edit your post accordingly.

Thanks

I agreed to no NDA. None, it was never even mentioned. The support tech knew exactly the issue i was referring to and sent me the link.

That's it.

If you look on netgears site, dig a bit, you will find the source code for this router. It's Open Source I'd post that link but I don't want to worry anyone else. :)

I will send a PM to the admin and ask what he/she wants me to do.

I'm not trying to break any rules, just trying to help.

Wow you really like to talk out of your butt huh?

Look if a Mod wants me not to share this info I will comply.

Furthermore, look at the error closely.. Read it.. and then you will see why this statement "with firefox you will never encounter the expired certificate." is SO WRONG. Did you see the part about this was on OSX?

Oh and by the way I signed nothing, I am under no obligation to keep anything to myself, also the software IS OPEN SOURCE.

So, until an Admin or Mod asks me to stop I will continue to try my best to inform and help those considering this router.

insulting me wont do you (or me) any good.

the screenshot you posted was a screenshot of firefox (the os it was on does not matter). the certificate error you posted on your screenshot is the generic error your get with any selfsigned certificate on any device using ssl.

unless you have a valid certificate bought from verizon (or some other certificate authority) you will always get the screen you posted.

this is a fact and we dont need to argue about that. it even says that on your screenshot. it doesnt say expired.. it says cant be verified..

the exired certificate issue is ONLY and i repeat ONLY related to the active-x certificate. thats why any and all internet-explorer users will get an uknown publisher error when trying to establish the tunnel.

every other os and browser uses java-applets and those dont have any certificate-problems.

Ok, folks. I've been alerted to this thread.

Iconeater, I have removed the links to the backup copies of the firmware, but I'm leaving the links that you said that NETGEAR gave to you until I receive a request from NETGEAR asking that the links be taken down.

I understand your desire to help, but I don't think it's good practice to redistribute firmware without permission from the maker.

Ok, folks. I've been alerted to this thread.

Iconeater, I have removed the links to the backup copies of the firmware, but I'm leaving the links that you said that NETGEAR gave to you until I receive a request from NETGEAR asking that the links be taken down.

I understand your desire to help, but I don't think it's good practice to redistribute firmware without permission from the maker.

Sorry for the hubbub.

Thanks for clearing up the matter so we can stay on topic.

insulting me wont do you (or me) any good.

the screenshot you posted was a screenshot of firefox (the os it was on does not matter). the certificate error you posted on your screenshot is the generic error your get with any selfsigned certificate on any device using ssl.

unless you have a valid certificate bought from verizon (or some other certificate authority) you will always get the screen you posted.

this is a fact and we dont need to argue about that. it even says that on your screenshot. it doesnt say expired.. it says cant be verified..

the exired certificate issue is ONLY and i repeat ONLY related to the active-x certificate. thats why any and all internet-explorer users will get an uknown publisher error when trying to establish the tunnel.

every other os and browser uses java-applets and those dont have any certificate-problems.

Sorry about the jab.

Nevertheless you're mistaken.
BTW, Installing the beta did fix the issue.

SSL VPN Slower than advertised--so far

Currently working with Netgear tech support who at this stage is gaining high points from me on service.

The tech is setting up this router in his lab and testing ssl vpn speeds to see if my issue is isolated.

Basically the best throughput clients are able to get is 60kb/s

a 1kb text file took 5 minutes to transfer.

Both Docsis 3.0 non speedboost connections.
Router down 50mb/s
Router up 16mb/s

Client down 12mb/s
client up 4mb/s

so it should be able to go much much faster. The other question is does comcast throttle encrypted private connections?

iperf does not seem to work through pppo SSL VPN web based connection or i am using it wrong cause it reports 0.00 kb or 5.6Gb/s (LOL)

I'll update more when I know more. At the moment it is unclear why it is so slow.

if you have any suggestions please post.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!