What's new

Netgear UTM9S?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

y2kdad

New Around Here
Has anyone had any success with the Netgear UTM9S? I'm thinking about making the purchase but I wanted to know if it would give me the features I'm looking for.

1. I want to be able to create two separate wireless VLANs or two separate SSIDS.

2. The users connecting to one SSID will have unlimited Internet access while the users connecting to the other SSID will have limited access to certain web sites, blocking things like IM, Instagram, Facebook, etc. The more restricted users will need to be on a schedule for Internet access (no access after 5PM)

3. I definitely want to block content based on keywords, etc too.

Does anyone know if I can do this with the UTM9S or is there something else out there I should consider?

Thanks in advance.

I just got one for our office, and it works just fine. We got the WLAN module and the DSL module as well and both are working nicely.

All the features you mention are supported (iirc) but I can't be sure about your specific combinations of them.

We are looking at doing much the same thing as you, but I haven't gotten around to it yet.

We want multiple SSIDs on separate VLANS with (optional) separate content blocking/filtering settings and schedules. I'm pretty sure the UTM9S can do it all. Shoot me an IM or something if you are still looking and want me to try something out for you.

If you have the budget for it, consider a Sonicwall (small NSA model). They are made for this sort of thing, with very nice wifi features on top (but no DSL modem iirc). Once you start adding multiple APs, Netgear stops being super cheap. But with the UTM9S, you can get started for much less using the WLAN module.

Also, at least here in Denmark, the larger UTM25S costs almost the same.
The web interface seems a bit dated and slow (though this is par for Netgear afaik) which does sometimes make me think the larger model might have been a wiser choice.
I read in a blog somewhere that the numbers in the models reflect how many users the unit is designed for, so the UTM9S would be specced for 9ish users with all the bells and whistles turned on.

I hope that helped

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!