What's new

Netgear vulnerability

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Netgear has also fixed the firmware for all the vulnerable models.

I am curious as to why they never mention or list the Netgear R7800 router in all the recent security vulnerability notices. They don't say whether the R7800 is affected or that it is not affected explicitly leaving one to wonder if they forgot about testing it or just are afraid to say that it is affected and there is no update fix for it at this time. I would like for them to state explicitly what device models are not affected as well as the ones that they still are checking on. I would think that the R7800 firmware/software GUI and config parameters are pretty much similar across all their current routers... so why is the R7800 not mentioned at all (either affected or not affected or they haven't gotten around to check it yet)? Just curious.

I am curious as to why they never mention or list the Netgear R7800 router in all the recent security vulnerability notices. They don't say whether the R7800 is affected or that it is not affected explicitly leaving one to wonder if they forgot about testing it or just are afraid to say that it is affected and there is no update fix for it at this time. I would like for them to state explicitly what device models are not affected as well as the ones that they still are checking on. I would think that the R7800 firmware/software GUI and config parameters are pretty much similar across all their current routers... so why is the R7800 not mentioned at all (either affected or not affected or they haven't gotten around to check it yet)? Just curious.

I think the R7800 maybe is more up to date code wise maybe, its running a newer version of OpenSSL for a start than some of the others, although that may have been changed by now with patches and the release of the R9000 and Orbi routers which were also not vulnerable.

I highly doubt they "forgot" as someone enquired about the R7800 in the Netgear forums on the last major vulnerability and they said it was not on the list of affected devices. It may share its code but its Qualcomm based like the R9000 and Orbi routers so there are code differences, I have wondered if if this has been part of the reason as to why they were not effected as they are maybe on a different branch of Netgear firmware.

With respect I highly doubt Netgear would leave the R7800 sitting vulnerable without a patch and keep it quite, in fact since the last major one (not the one above as that's old) its had an update anyway, V1.0.2.20 with no mention of the Vulnerabilities. If Netgear had to list every router not vulnerable it would be a huge list, I'm pretty sure they know what part of the code base needs patching and which routers that effects. The R7800 at this time is doing just fine until the next wave of issues course ;)

I went through the tests that I found on the internet that would show if the R7800 was vulnerable to this particular exploit. It showed that it wasn't, which corresponds to what I've read. I'm a pretty hands-on guy, so I had to check for myself to see *smile*. You know how that goes, I'm sure.

I went through the tests that I found on the internet that would show if the R7800 was vulnerable to this particular exploit. It showed that it wasn't, which corresponds to what I've read. I'm a pretty hands-on guy, so I had to check for myself to see *smile*. You know how that goes, I'm sure.
I did the test as well, and it wasn't vulnerable, as a few of us did I seem to remember and as you mentioned that exploit posted at the top by the OP is done and dusted and was from last year, Netgear have just updated the information dates for 2017. Being hands on in these situations is always a good idea.

Does Netgear have two firmware lines? All affected models are Broadcom based. R7800 is not Broadcom, not on the last December's vulnerable list either

Does Netgear have two firmware lines? All affected models are Broadcom based. R7800 is not Broadcom, not on the last December's vulnerable list either
I think you nailed it.
The first thing I noticed when I checked the list of devices is that all the ones that are listed as vulnerable were true Broadcom based.

I think you nailed it.
The first thing I noticed when I checked the list of devices is that all the ones that are listed as vulnerable were true Broadcom based.
I mentioned that in my post as well. Netgear gave recently swapped to using more Qualcomm chipsets with routers like the R7800, R9000 and the Orbi branch. I think there are different firmware branches and maybe the firmware in the Qualcomm units was re-written and a lot of bugs were squashed (and new ones introduced as always) and extraneous code was removed along the way, either that or they built a new version from the ground up, which I somehow doubt. Who knows. The R7800 did come with a lot less bugs out the gate than the R7000 tbh even though it had issues with Apple gear at the time of release.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!