What's new

Netgear xr500 your experiences with this router.

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Correction,
Ready Share support is supported and working on the XR500 router.

See link below:

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Ni...Center-not-recognizing-my-printer/m-p/1537553

"NETGEAR confirmed that the ReadySHARE Print feature was mistakenly removed from the XR500 firmware and it will be restored in the next offical firmware release."

I could not get my Network drive to be recognized via eSATA or USB so I assumed Netgear left out the complete Readyshare code. If you have verified Readyshare USB support works on the xr500, then the support post is correct in stating the ReadySHARE Print feature is missing. I find it VERY strange that my R7800 firmware recognized the USB network drive but the xr500 firmware software did not recognize the USB Network drive.

This still confirms my original point that Netgear is not performing adequate testing on firmware and is still releasing firmware code with major problems.

I have confirmed that USB HDD is working on XR500 and XR7800.

Gaming routers doesn't really need the use of print features. Though maybe convenient The XR500 is directed at gaming environments. Printer support would be a 2ndary or minor feature that isn't a major factor for gaming environments. It's not a major feature. Some printers may only support USB connections, however others have other alternate means of connections. Im sure that NG will resolve the issue. I don't use any USB printers on my router(s) as they support ethernet connections which I prefer.

We can only assume that NG and or NetDuma does in testing. Unless you have directly experiences in this area, we can't assume anything.

Enjoy. I know I will.

Last edited:
Gaming routers doesn't really need the use of print features. Though maybe convenient The XR500 is directed at gaming environments. Printer support would be a 2ndary or minor feature that isn't a major factor for gaming environments. It's not a major feature. Some printers may only support USB connections, however others have other alternate means of connections. Im sure that NG will resolve the issue. I don't use any USB printers on my router(s) as they support ethernet connections which I prefer.

I have to disagree, most people buying a top of the line router expect it to support their home network as well otherwise Netgear would not bother to include USB ports and Readyshare features.

If you look at the xr500 "Data Sheet" it states "READYSHARE® USB ACCESS—Wirelessly access & share USB hard drive & printer via two (2) USB ports"

Also, the "User Manual" Chapter 10 "Share USB Storage Devices Attached to the Router" and Chapter 13 "Share a USB Printer" clearly show the xr500 router is for much more than just gaming.

xr500 documentation link:
https://www.netgear.com/support/product/XR500.aspx#docs

It depends on what you use your network for. DumaOS has a good QoS works well with for my gaming and the GUI matters as I want to see what’s going on I’m a hobbiest and a gamer but we all want different things if I was not a gamer the R7800 would be great with voxels firmware, but netgears interface does need updating and alas a lot of it does not work as advertised because updates bring in more bugs.

Don't you have to buy the router with DumaOS on it? I couldn't find any source for the firmware only.

I presume NG/Duma will fix it then.

Doesn't mean they meant to leave it out. A minor issue for some. Not the majority. Overall the router works, just missing a feature...ReadyShare is working however for HDD.

I have to disagree, most people buying a top of the line router expect it to support their home network as well otherwise Netgear would not bother to include USB ports and Readyshare features.

If you look at the xr500 "Data Sheet" it states "READYSHARE® USB ACCESS—Wirelessly access & share USB hard drive & printer via two (2) USB ports"

Also, the "User Manual" Chapter 10 "Share USB Storage Devices Attached to the Router" and Chapter 13 "Share a USB Printer" clearly show the xr500 router is for much more than just gaming.

xr500 documentation link:
https://www.netgear.com/support/product/XR500.aspx#docs

Vortex made the XR500 available or the R7800 since NG alpha tested it on there R7800 before it went public with the XR500.

Don't you have to buy the router with DumaOS on it? I couldn't find any source for the firmware only.

Last edited:
Last edited:
Can't find anything at myopenrouter regarding availability of DumaOS outside the purchase of a router with the software installed.

Since it was Licensed to netgear by Netduma is that not breaking some rule somewhere?

Maybe it did break rules and Vortex had to remove it?

Please do not assume if you do not know and let us escape this nonsense and let's gather our forces and help each other instead of smuther others with blurs and stuff.
Otherwise we can break it down and go home and it will be as it used to be, boring.

Please do not assume if you do not know and let us escape this nonsense and let's gather our forces and help each other instead of smuther others with blurs and stuff.
Otherwise we can break it down and go home and it will be as it used to be, boring.
I did not assume anything, I asked a question hence the question mark. Assumption would be saying that what was posted by myself was a definitive answer, which is not what I was not doing at all. I was simply seeking clarification about the subject.

http://dumaos.com/#GetDumaOS

DumaOS is available on the following platforms.

NETGEAR XR500 Pro Gaming Route

Netduma R1

Damages to Copyright Holder

Anytime software piracy happens, the copyright holder loses profits for each occurrence. If found guilty, the accused is responsible for paying for any damages and lost profits. If the software has been shared with others, the accused may also be responsible for profits lost from each installed copy.

Federal Penalties
Software piracy is considered a federal crime, much like illegally downloading music and movies. Some cases may go beyond paying back the copyright holder and result in federal statutory damages. The amount varies per case, but can be as much as $150,000 per infringement.

Go ahead guys. Make your shopping using PPal and Credit Card info passing it through your router with hacked pirate version of firmware created and published with violation of all possible licenses. Probably he is good chap to trust him your secrets. Only steals sometimes. Or maybe you think that you can avoid any prosecution for yourself?

Crazy world…

Voxel.

Netduma R1

Anytime software piracy happens, the copyright holder loses profits for each occurrence. If found guilty, the accused is responsible for paying for any damages and lost profits. If the software has been shared with others, the accused may also be responsible for profits lost from each installed copy.

Federal Penalties
Software piracy is considered a federal crime, much like illegally downloading music and movies. Some cases may go beyond paying back the copyright holder and result in federal statutory damages. The amount varies per case, but can be as much as $150,000 per infringement.

Go ahead guys. Make your shopping using PPal and Credit Card info passing it through your router with hacked pirate version of firmware created and published with violation of all possible licenses. Probably he is good chap to trust him your secrets. Only steals sometimes. Or maybe you think that you can avoid any prosecution for yourself?

Crazy world…

Voxel.

I don't want it!

Anton.

All this has been going on for a while now. Nothing new. Other similar router was Linksys WRT32x being loaded on the 1900ACM. Nobody ever prosecuted.

Anyways, think we need to get back on topic.

Enjoy folks. To each his own.

All this has been going on for a while now. Nothing new. Other similar router was Linksys WRT32x being loaded on the 1900ACM. Nobody ever prosecuted.

Anyways, think we need to get back on topic.

Enjoy folks. To each his own.
Topic includes others work being stolen.you can’t skip that. Netduma are an 8 man team one member died last year. This is their livelihood being stolen and pirated. :(

Netduma R1

Federal Penalties

Crazy world…

Voxel.

This has always been a concern of mine since i usually load 3rd party firmware on my routers. With that being said how do we know who we really can trust? I don't know Merlin, john, Voxel or xvortex personally, so i can not comment on who is trustworthy. I mean fraud is ever where. How safe is 3rd party developers FW? Wouldn't it be real easy for any 3rd party firmware to steal CC information randomly and not ever get caught?

Topic includes others work being stolen.you can’t skip that. Netduma are an 8 man team one member died last year. This is their livelihood being stolen and pirated. :(

He wasn't part of their team, he wasn't a paid employee but a customer and part of the community over on the netduma forums. BTW netduma is screwing over the original R1 owners right now with the Duma OS licensing agreement with NG.

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!