What's new

Network Gremlins - Wired and Wireless - Losing Internet when adding a LAN port

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

tallen234

Occasional Visitor
Hi All,

I am on my last legs. I recently upgraded from a Netgear WNDR3800 to a Asus RT-AC68U in an attempt to (1) upgrade old technology and (2) help solve some wireless problems I was having with my HP Officejet 8600. I have, knock on wood, solved some of the printer issues. However, in the middle of trying to troubleshoot the wireless printer issues, I started to experience some more problematic issues. Today, I discovered I could not access the internet on my wired PC, but I was able to access the internet and my router wirelessly (through my ipad, iphone, etc.). When I did a troubleshoot through Windows 10, i got a Windows Could Not Automatically Detect This Network's Proxy Settings error. I scoured the internet for potential solutions. I've tried all the usual tricks with ipconfig and netsh int ip reset stuff, resetting everything, changing cables, running malware/virus scans, scouring the Internet for help....I am at my wits end! At the end of the day, just for the heck of it, I disconnected a LAN port that I have running the length of the house to my home theater (into a gigabit switcher). I moved my WNDR 3800 into the theater as an access point (replacing a very old Cisco router). Disconnecting this LAN port solved my problems with my wired PC. I was able to access the internet both wired and wirelessly. When I reconnected the ethernet cable from the home theater, the problems crop up. Any ideas???? Thanks!

Here are my ip settings:

Microsoft Windows [Version 10.0.10240]

© 2015 Microsoft Corporation. All rights reserved.

C:\WINDOWS\system32>ipconfig /all

Windows IP Configuration

Host Name . . . . . . . . . . . . : Home
Primary Dns Suffix . . . . . . . :
Node Type . . . . . . . . . . . . : Hybrid
IP Routing Enabled. . . . . . . . : No
WINS Proxy Enabled. . . . . . . . : No

Ethernet adapter Local Area Connection:

Connection-specific DNS Suffix . :
Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Realtek RTL8168C(P)/8111C(P) Family PCI-E Gigabit Ethernet NIC (NDIS 6.20)
Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : A4-BA-DB-F9-7C-C4
DHCP Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : Yes
Autoconfiguration Enabled . . . . : Yes
Link-local IPv6 Address . . . . . : fe80::25cc:bba1:767b:31ef%8(Preferred)
IPv4 Address. . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.1.145(Preferred)
Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . . . . : 255.255.255.0
Lease Obtained. . . . . . . . . . : Tuesday, October 06, 2015 6:14:25 PM
Lease Expires . . . . . . . . . . : Wednesday, October 07, 2015 6:14:25 PM
Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.1.1
DHCP Server . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.1.1
DHCPv6 IAID . . . . . . . . . . . : 245676763
DHCPv6 Client DUID. . . . . . . . : 00-01-00-01-19-B6-B5-C5-A4-BA-DB-F9-7C-C4
DNS Servers . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.1.1
NetBIOS over Tcpip. . . . . . . . : Enabled

Tunnel adapter isatap.{5F87A273-1FE9-4D65-ABC1-A74D8E7A21E6}:

Media State . . . . . . . . . . . : Media disconnected
Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Microsoft ISATAP Adapter
Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 00-00-00-00-00-00-00-E0
DHCP Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : No

Tunnel adapter Teredo Tunneling Pseudo-Interface:

Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Microsoft Teredo Tunneling Adapter
Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 00-00-00-00-00-00-00-E0
DHCP Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : No
IPv6 Address. . . . . . . . . . . : 2001:0:9d38:6abd:2cac:246d:b95d:991c(Preferred)
Link-local IPv6 Address . . . . . : fe80::2cac:246d:b95d:991c%2(Preferred)
Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . : ::
DHCPv6 IAID . . . . . . . . . . . : 150994944
DHCPv6 Client DUID. . . . . . . . : 00-01-00-01-19-B6-B5-C5-A4-BA-DB-F9-7C-C4
NetBIOS over Tcpip. . . . . . . . : Disabled

C:\WINDOWS\system32>

Leave the connection to the home theater switch connected and unplug the WNDR3800 to narrow the cause down.

If it's the WNDR3800, make sure you have it properly configured as an AP.

Also make sure you disable your PC's wireless adapter when connected via Ethernet.

Good idea! I disconnected the WNDR3800, but no joy. I made sure it was set as an access point before I attached it.

The strange thing with the Asus GUI is that it now shows no wired connections. Even my "Home" computer shows up as wireless.

Another strange thing is when I disconnect the "home theater" ethernet and then can access the internet on my PC, trying to attach to the GUI is a very slow process. On my mobile devices, entering the GUI is very fast.

Besides using a cable tester to make sure the cable between your base router and Home Theater switch is wired correctly, I'm out of ideas. Sorry.

Thanks! The cable was working prior to installing the new Asus (and actually, it was working for a week or so after I got the Asus). I am wondering if the ASUS Router may be the problem...

Besides using a cable tester to make sure the cable between your base router and Home Theater switch is wired correctly, I'm out of ideas. Sorry.

Does your wired PC have wireless capabilities? If so, disable that network device in Network Neighborhood.

No. It doesn't.

There are so many variables, I feel like I'm herding cats. Started with wireless printer issues, slow GUI issues, now now internet when I have the home theater ethernet connected. I am tempted to buy a new PC and a new router and call it good!

Does your wired PC have wireless capabilities? If so, disable that network device in Network Neighborhood.

No. It doesn't.

There are so many variables, I feel like I'm herding cats. Started with wireless printer issues, slow GUI issues, now now internet when I have the home theater ethernet connected. I am tempted to buy a new PC and a new router and call it good!

Before buying an new PC or router, consider doing a fresh install of Windows 10 instead.

But before even that, what firmware are you using on the RT-AC68U? Did you do a full reset to factory defaults?

Did you use new ssid's?

After the above is taken care of and the issues persist, I would be tempted to do a clean install of Windows 10. Just how badly do you think you messed up the OS with the tweaks and workarounds you tried?

After that, I would create the simplest network you can: a modem, a router and a computer. Now, add one thing at a time and see what (if anything) breaks. This will be slow and tedious, but it will track down the wild issues you're seeing.

Anything that can be reset: do so. Anything else that can be rebooted, should be, each time you make a change.

I suggest to keep a log / dairy of your steps so that a week from now you will be able to see the overall picture more clearly (or someone else may, depending on how clearly you track the progress you make).

from my experience of windows is that windows networking sucks, it is totally unreliable if you have more than 1 NIC. You have to significantly tweak the OS for any networking since when i tested the PPTP speed of my CCR windows networking stopped working till i rebooted.

One thing i would do is make sure no computers have the NIC connected to a bridge and have internet connection sharing turned on. check and eliminate loops, use STP/RSTP and make sure to check for any other DHCP servers and such running on your network.

Try disabling ipv6 in windows if you do not use it on LAN.

To me it sounds like your home theater could be flooding your network or using all of your internet. If you have a semi managed switch you should be able to check the stats so you can see how much load the home theater is putting on your network. This can also be caused by it sending all sorts of packets that can cause a mess. Try to update/reset your home theater and carefully go through the setup.

Can you do a layout of the network? I am having trouble envisioning what is going on. Specifically, when you say LAN port into a switcher, I am not sure what the topology is there. What model switch are you using? You said you did some troubleshooting. When you are having the problems, can you ping the gateway? Can you ping the ISP gateway? Can you ping any dns servers (google or opendns). Do you have any errors in the event log related to the network adapter?

I agree that you should disable IPV6 on your Realtek adapter and remove the tunneling adapter device. That adapter is only necessary if you need to access an IPV6 network and it shouldn't be necessary. Same thing with the isatap adapter.

try getting a USB wireless adapter and installing on the media center to see if that worked. If it works it could be an issue with the adapter itself. Or try burning an ISO of a Linux Live CD and see if the internet works from that. If it works, it's almost assuredly a problem with your OS.

Thanks guys for the response. I'll take a closer look at your suggestions later on today. I am only moderately tech savy, so be gentle with me. For your information. I have

Cable Modem -> Router --(LAN1)> PC
Then from Router ----(Lan2)-----(long ethernet cable run to home theater room) ----> TRENDnet 8-Port Unmanaged Gigabit Switch, TEG-S80g --> TV, XBOX, Receiver, WNDR3800 as AP (now disconnected), BluRay Player.

I have a wireless HP Office Jet, 2 iphones and 2 ipads that connect wirelessly.

Before I upgraded the router, this "network" was pretty stable with the WNDR3800 running the show, I upgraded to the ASUS to (1) upgrade technology and (2) to solve a problem with a wireless printer.

The things/clues that are driving me crazy that I can't figure out are (1) Very slow GUI access from PC, but fast on a mobile device and (2) Plugging in the long run ethernet eliminates the internet access on my PC (but I can still connect wirelessly). I may connect my WNDR3800 as my primary router to see if that solves these two problems....

Go to Internet Options > Connections > LAN settings and make sure NOTHING is checked (including the Automatically detect settings option)

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!