What's new

Network help please?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Dick Briggs

New Around Here
Hello all new here and have some experience of home network etc but by no means in the know, I am having a real problem with a new NAS and i am trying to find out if its just a configuration issue or a fault.

First i will outline my set up and go from there to save you having to ask too many questions to find out,
Router is a TalkTalk HG633 Super Router which seems to work well....LAN connections are to a Sky Q box two smart TVs direct from router and another LAN to two upstairs switches in different rooms which are in turn connected to another TV a PS4 a desktop PC and two NAS one old Netgear Stora which is off most of the time, and a Zyxel 320s NAS.

And finally wireless to a couple of laptops and a printer all PCs are on windows 10 and all was running at 2.5ghz until i upgraded my laptop to windows 10 and i then noticed that it was connecting through the 5ghz band.

All of this works well with no problems until i bought a Terra Master F5-221 a few days ago and its been a pig ever since ...on turning on it will connect via its own software and i can see it on the router and the network form most devices then i get maybe 5 to 10 mins of fiddling/setting up and then it just disappears from LAN until i turn it off then on again and the same cycle continues.

I have tried the following....set the NAS to static IP with DCHP disabled and assigned a reserved IP in the router and its still the same also left auto config as DCHP etc but the same result either way i have no IP conflicts that i can find so i am now starting to think its a hardware issue on the NAS
any ideas on this problem would be most welcome.

Did you follow the setup guide exactly ?

what do the lights on the nas do ?

what do the lights on the ethernet cable do when it “disappears” ?

can you see the device with their app and login to do configuration from a pc ?

did it come with preinstalled drives ?

how did you install the latest version of their operating system ?

did you configure a dhcp server in the nas ?

Last edited:
Did you follow the setup guide exactly ?
Yes!
what do the lights on the nas do ? As they are supposed to do.

what do the lights on the ethernet cable do when it “disappears” ? stays lit and usual flickering.

can you see the device with their app and login to do configuration from a pc ?
Only for the 5 to 10 minute period as mentioned.

did it come with preinstalled drives ? NO!

how did you install the latest version of their operating system ?
From their website as directed.

did you configure a dhcp server in the nas ?
Yes both with and with static IP.

If your router has a running DHCP server, then the NAS must not have a DHCP server running.

assuming that is not the case, pull remove any installed drives and just boot the nas. What happens ?
What are the NAS logs showing ?

If your router has a running DHCP server, then the NAS must not have a DHCP server running.

assuming that is not the case, pull remove any installed drives and just boot the nas. What happens ?
What are the NAS logs showing ?

I will reboot and check but i dont think so...if i pull all drives the unit wont boot up.

Almost all NAS units will (or should) boot with no drives installed. I don't know that model to say with 100% certainty though.

The unit may be getting rejected from your network. It could be an IP issue, or could be your switch configuration that is dropping it for some reason, or software failing in the NAS itself,...

I would try connecting it directly to one of your Windows PCs. See if you can get it properly configured and run properly before plugging it back into your switch.

It could even be something as simple as a bad cable and your switch is isolating it to "protect" your network from being flooded.

Thanks! tried connecting direct and the PC does not see it even after reboot also pinged through the network via CMD and nothing until a reboot which returned a contact for the usual five minutes or so its now connected strait to the router but still the same.

were you in the same IP address range as the NAS ?

is there a factory "reset" button for the motherboard ?

Sound like it might be time to talk with Terra tech support.

Yes and no factory reset and i have talked to Terra tech support i will enable remote assistance in the NAS software but i cant see how they can interrogate it if its not outputting a LAN connection?

don't know what their remote management software does. If the router is not showing an IP address assigned, then likely not through your router. Maybe they can get to it if it is connected through a DMZ lan port or directly connected to the ISP device.

It almost sounds like it is accepting then not accepting the IP address assignment and reverting to a default address on a different subnet - like windows will do when it has DHCP issues or a physical connection issue.

Could be a million things going wrong and terminating the network stack. Hopefully then can get online and fix it during one of the 5 minute windows.

Terra tech tried to contact the NAS remotely and failed (not surprising with no network connection:rolleyes:) and they can't do a five minute window, the NAS was an open box job so i am now suspecting that its had this problem all along so i have requested a return and replacement from the suppliers if they cant or the replacement does the same I'm done with Terra Master...i wouldn't mind but i have had a Zyxel NAS up and running for the last 6 years with no problems at all.

Just thought i would update this as i sent it back to the sellers and just as i thought it was faulty and also managed to save some money as they didn't have a replacement so bought it elsewhere and got a discount....teach me to try and save money in the first place by buying a B grade item,
Anyway all set up and working with no problems and currently migrating my movie collection.

Seems i spoke too soon......i must be fated with Terramaster as all was working fine and i had transferred all the data on my Zyxel NAS over to the TM NAS first two bays are RAID1 and two other bays as single .......my LAN network has two switches and i couldn't remember if they where gigabyte or not so turned off both NAS and moved them and connected direct to the router in the hope of getting better transfer speed.

Switch them both back on and the TM NAS is now only showing the single discs the disc volumes show them but they are missing from the pool and also all the sheared files relating to the RAID stuff are missing...so have i lost everything...i have shot off a pissy email to TM about it in the hope that there is a solution but i am very worried as i have been deleting all the data off the other NAS as its successfully transferred which is the whole reason i bought another NAS so to say i am livid is nowhere near!! as there where lots of photos and documents that where important....so any ideas for recovery are welcome....but for now i feel like going "i don’t like Mondays" on Terramaster!