What's new

Network Ping Question....

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Astince

New Around Here
Hello All,

New here and I am looking to see if i can get some help. I am looking to get some help with the below. When it comes to running a PING to different machines. I can ping Sales PC1 to PC2 just fine as well as Engineering PC1 to PC2, but say when i try to ping Sales PC2 to Engineering PC1 i get a failed Ping. From my understanding is that due to it being (15 .100) vise the Sales pc (10.101) i shouldn't be able reach it correct? Or am i missing something? ALso if this belongs in a different topic, I apologize I tried looking around first. TIA
1670111367854.png

You have your layer 3 wrong, defining networks. I assume you are using L3 switches. If not, then your router has a problem with setup. What is the dotted line between switches? You could have a spanning tree issue to where the route is being blocked. Are you doing static routing? Maybe a routing protocol would simplify this.
You don't have enough info on your diagram.

What is the dotted line between switches?
Yeah, and why is it there at all? It looks like you have two data paths between Switch-01 and Switch-02, that is either the dotted line or via Main-Office_Router. This is a bad thing.

You have your layer 3 wrong, defining networks. I assume you are using L3 switches. If not, then your router has a problem with setup. What is the dotted line between switches? You could have a spanning tree issue to where the route is being blocked. Are you doing static routing? Maybe a routing protocol would simplify this.
You don't have enough info on your diagram.
The dotted lines between switches is a gigabit connection between the two. As for the setup it is possible that there may be errors in the setup. it is for a class that i am taking and it is step by step out of a text book on how to set it up but they may throw errors in there on purpose that im just not seeing.

it is for a class that i am taking and it is step by step out of a text book on how to set it up but they may throw errors in there on purpose that im just not seeing.
Uh-huh ... they are trying to teach you that loops in the network diagram are bad.

But this is just a layer-2 network, no? There's no routing intelligence here.

Switch-01 has two ways to forward packets to Sales-PC2. So does Main-Office_Router2. If they make the wrong decisions then the packets will just circulate between those two machines until they timeout. OSI layer 2 doesn't have any mechanisms to prevent that.

It could be either way as it is not defined. The dotted line could be an attempt at redundancy if the router goes down.

Me I would use layer 3 switches and a routing protocol. It becomes real easy to replace devices when you use a routing protocol. The new device learns the networks from the routing protocol.

Last edited: