What's new

Release New AC86U firmware 3.0.0.4.386_42643

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

nickie

Regular Contributor
Just noticed a new firmware release for the AC86U: 3.0.0.4.386_42643. There is a note indicating that CPU usage has been fixed. I've noticed a slight decrease in temperature in my ac86u: it's running at 71º/72º when before it was running at about 76º/77º.
release notes:
ASUS RT-AC86U Firmware version 3.0.0.4.386.42643
1. Fixed CVE-2021-3450, CVE2021-3449 OpenSSL related vulnerability.
2. Fixed authentication bypass vulnerability. Special thank Chris Bellows, Darren Kemp – Atredis Partners contribution.
3. Fixed PPTP and OpenVPN server username/password GUI bug.
4. Fixed high CPU utilization issue.

Last edited:
How's wifi stability? any issues with devices dropping on and off network map thru Android app?

I've been using this firmware for just an hour or so, and until now haven't had any problem. Regarding the issue you mention, never noticed so can't help you with that.

Mine appears in router GUI after doing firmware check..you can also download via Asus site, drivers & tools, select other for OS type and it appears.

I was having a maintenance day. Cleaning up, backing up, and so on. Accidentally hit update firmware, thinking it was the usual check button.
Fingers crossed while it updated since I did not backup the config before my slippage on the wrong button. :)

Seems to be working well so far.

Looking forward to testing it out. Seems like the links aren't up yet.

updated through gui over the top of previous firmware.

no problems with upgrade.

now keeping an eye on connections.

See post here on my issue of this FW as AiMesh Nodes

Just noticed a new firmware release for the AC86U: 3.0.0.4.386_42643. There is a note indicating that CPU usage has been fixed. I've noticed a slight decrease in temperature in my ac86u: it's running at 71º/72º when before it was running at about 76º/77º.
release notes:
ASUS RT-AC86U Firmware version 3.0.0.4.386.42643
1. Fixed CVE-2021-3450, CVE2021-3449 OpenSSL related vulnerability.
2. Fixed authentication bypass vulnerability. Special thank Chris Bellows, Darren Kemp – Atredis Partners contribution.
3. Fixed PPTP and OpenVPN server username/password GUI bug.
4. Fixed high CPU utilization issue.

Cool. Usually AC68U is not too far behind AC86U. Surprised that in 3 months since last emergency beta release there weren't tons more things addressed.

the links are up on asus's website. been on it for 8 hours now and so far so good. cpu temps are normal. tried the following

aimesh: seems to working ok between my two ac86u routers. my family and I are roaming around the house with 3 ipads, 2 laptops and 2 android phones with no issues.
guest network 1: working and devices are switching between main and node
wifi is stable so far
openvpn server: working
DDNS: registered and working
so far no abnormal CPU or RAM usages
QoS enabled
Aiprotection enabled

gui is responsive but it's still nowhere near as fast as it was on 384 firmware.

I'll give a couple of more days to see how stable it is.

Tested this release and the current Merlin release and absolutely no difference. They both increase CPU overheating by minimum 5°C.
in my case, I can assure you that I see an actual decrease in reported temperature. It's currently running at 71º when before it was 75º+. Mind you, it's just the ac86u with a tplink 1043nd connected as WAP via powerline with all the remaining devices connected via wifi. But the setup is the same as with the previous firmware and I see a decrease of about -5º in the temperature being reported.
PS: as I was writing the temperature decreased to 70.4 and then up to 70.9.
See here:
Screenshot 2021-04-29 093020.png

Last edited:
the links are up on asus's website. been on it for 8 hours now and so far so good. cpu temps are normal. tried the following

aimesh: seems to working ok between my two ac86u routers. my family and I are roaming around the house with 3 ipads, 2 laptops and 2 android phones with no issues.
guest network 1: working and devices are switching between main and node
wifi is stable so far
openvpn server: working
DDNS: registered and working
so far no abnormal CPU or RAM usages
QoS enabled
Aiprotection enabled

gui is responsive but it's still nowhere near as fast as it was on 384 firmware.

I'll give a couple of more days to see how stable it is.
Yep...gui def quicker on.384 hopefully it'll improve with next release.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!