What's new

Release New AC86U firmware 3.0.0.4.386_42643

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

I updated from 40451 (latest firmware without the overheat bug). Before the update, cpu temp was 86-87 celsius. After the update: 97-98 celsius... And cpu prochot - cpu core1 switch off messages started to appear in the log.

I didn't do factory reset and I won't do it (came from an fw without the bug, so this overheat issue shouldn't happen...)

Downgraded to 40451. I am happy with it.
Great! Maybe you should downgrade your PC's to Windows 95, too. Guess you do not take your network security seriously...

alot of spam in the log for me.

kernal messages for turning on and off the cooling for cpu1. I'm guessing thats because the high 90's temp im seeing.

.404 i think was the last fw that had no issues
.416 i think had this issue
.426 looks to not have merged with the beta (if the beta fixes it)

My internet connection between devices seem to face no problem.

Waiting for the ASUS GT-AXE11000 to hit UK markets then ill be upgrading. I am forced to do a clean install then :(
Don't pay too much attention to the log. There is some code from the Beta's that generate quite a few log hits that really do not mean that anything is wrong. You can change the default log level to get rid of what you call spam.

3.0.0.4.386_42643 works well and in spite of some worry wort's does not have an overheating problem! Yes, a hard factory reset may be required with a manual config.

dirty upgrade on my three 86U and wow speed is so much better.Watch and wait mode is my next task

No heating issues on mine after 3 days uptime...rock solid release.

Up for three days here as well and everything is working fine. I don't have any temperature for previous firmwares to compare to but currently the hottest I saw was 81. The system log is relatively clean as well.

exact messages are - lots of entrys.

May 2 01:05:33 kernel: thermal cooling_device1: turn on CPU#1
May 2 01:05:33 kernel: CPU1: Booted secondary processor
May 2 01:07:19 kernel: thermal cooling_device1: turn off CPU#1
May 2 01:07:19 kernel: IRQ6 no longer affine to CPU1
May 2 01:07:19 kernel: CPU1: shutdown
May 2 01:08:43 kernel: thermal cooling_device1: turn on CPU#1
May 2 01:08:43 kernel: CPU1: Booted secondary processor
May 2 01:12:19 kernel: thermal cooling_device1: turn off CPU#1
May 2 01:12:19 kernel: IRQ6 no longer affine to CPU1
May 2 01:12:19 kernel: CPU1: shutdown
May 2 01:13:50 kernel: thermal cooling_device1: turn on CPU#1
May 2 01:13:50 kernel: CPU1: Booted secondary processor

See post here on my issue of this FW as AiMesh Nodes
Can also confirm this finding, in that, the nodes are set to channel 1, no matter what channel (2.4Ghz), the main router is set to, the nodes remain on channel 1. This is after a complete reset and manual build.

Going back to Merlin for now.

@ASUSWRT_2020 is this a bug?

Last edited:
Can also confirm this finding, in that, the nodes are set to channel 1, no matter what channel the main router is set to, the nodes remain on channel 1.

Going back to Merlin
just checked and it's the same with me on 2.4Ghz my main is on 13 and the node is on channel 1. but will going back to merlin actually do anything? from what i understand he doesn't tinker with Wi-Fi at all.

just checked and it's the same with me on 2.4Ghz my main is on 13 and the node is on channel 1. but will going back to merlin actually do anything? from what i understand he doesn't tinker with Wi-Fi at all.
I just checked with the latest Merlin firmware and the nodes are following the Main Router channel across both bands, sorry I forgot to check the 5Ghz band, on this firmware version, but the 2.4Ghz is definitely not following channel selection from the Main router, just stuck on channel 1.

Current Merlin firmware is using a slightly older GPL code 42095, if my memory serves me right.

Last edited:
Just checked and my 2.4 shows channel 1 and another channel at the same time. Before it was on one channel only so what the Heck?

For sure looks like something is broken on the AiMesh side of things with this firmware release on the 2.4Ghz band.
Just checked and my 2.4 shows channel 1 and another channel at the same time. Before it was on one channel only so what the Heck?

I have observed that with Merlin 386.2_2 on an AC86U running as an AiMesh node, removing the node from the mesh system it would not fully reset to factory settings. A hard factory reset was required.
I suspect this firmware version is the same.
So, while it is a pain for some a possible work around to correct the recent issues is a hard factory reset and manually configure.

I have observed that with Merlin 386.2_2 on an AC86U running as an AiMesh node, removing the node from the mesh system it would not fully reset to factory settings. A hard factory reset was required.
So, while it is a pain for some a possible work around to correct the recent issues is a hard factory reset and manually configure.
I tried both the node removal/ reset via the GUI and wps reset and the same problem remained

So what is the issue though, what harm or reduced performance or security risk is it causing just so I understand? Cheers

For sure looks like something is broken on the AiMesh side of things with this firmware release on the 2.4Ghz band.
To test, I setup Guest Network 1 with 2.4GHz band and sync across all nodes. However, I observed that my iPhoneXsMax Roaming between the AiMesh Router (Channel 11) and AiMesh Nodes (Channel 1) is not Roaming as readily in some cases not working; it used to be working.

I tried both the node removal/ reset via the GUI and wps reset and the same problem remained
As a refresher here is the correct way to hard factory reset an AC86U:

ASUS router Hard Factory Reset - Method 2

1. Turn the router off.
2. Press and hold the "WPS" button and turn the router on.
3. Power light is on (keep holding the WPS button).
4. Release the WPS button after the power light is off.
5. Reboot your router by manually pressing the power button.

now that I think about it, I don't remember getting the "router will be reset" warning when removing the node. wasn't there a warning or am I imagining things?

now that I think about it, I don't remember getting the "router will be reset" warning when removing the node. wasn't there a warning or am I imagining things?
There should have been a warning about reset when removing the node.

Now, something else that is interesting. I added the AC86U, running Asus firmware,as an AiMesh node to my AX86U running 386.2_4. Both the 2.4 and 5 GHz channels on the node were the same as the root router. However, the Merlin firmware Wireless Log showed that the mesh node was connected to both the 2.4 and 5 GHz bands on the root router while AiMesh reported the bachaul to be WIFI 5 GHz. I am running a Guest 1 on 2.4 GHz synced to nodes. Pretty sure this is "normal" operation but plan to dig into an AiMesh system (AC66U_B1 + 2 AC68U nodes) later today.

As an aside the AC86U node temp is 64C. Just saying there is no temp problem with this firmware!

alot of spam in the log for me.

kernal messages for turning on and off the cooling for cpu1. I'm guessing thats because the high 90's temp im seeing.

.404 i think was the last fw that had no issues
.416 i think had this issue
.426 looks to not have merged with the beta (if the beta fixes it)

My internet connection between devices seem to face no problem.

Waiting for the ASUS GT-AXE11000 to hit UK markets then ill be upgrading. I am forced to do a clean install then :(
Already available in the UK markets isn't it?

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!