What's new

Release New AC86U firmware 3.0.0.4.386_42643

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

It looks like the firmware page now lists a fix for the fragattacks vulnerability alongside the original 4 other fixes.

ASUS RT-AC86U Firmware version 3.0.0.4.386.42643
1. Fixed CVE-2021-3450, CVE2021-3449 OpenSSL related vulnerability.
2. Fixed authentication bypass vulnerability. Special thank Chris Bellows, Darren Kemp – Atredis Partners contribution.
3. Fixed PPTP and OpenVPN server username/password GUI bug.
4. Fixed high CPU utilization issue.
5. Fixed the fragattacks vulnerability.

Does anyone know if Merlin's latest version (386.2_4) for the AC86U includes this GPL (42643)?
No. He is stuck on the previous version: https://www.snbforums.com/threads/3...ng-available-build-s.72609/page-2#post-689995

As a refresher here is the correct way to hard factory reset an AC86U:

ASUS router Hard Factory Reset - Method 2

1. Turn the router off.
2. Press and hold the "WPS" button and turn the router on.
3. Power light is on (keep holding the WPS button).
4. Release the WPS button after the power light is off.
5. Reboot your router by manually pressing the power button.
I have also tried the WPS reset accross nodes and main routers, the same poblem persists, ALL nodes still use channel 1. Even changing the main router channel through the GUI to another channel, does not flow down to the nodes, they always remain on channel 1.

It looks like the firmware page now lists a fix for the fragattacks vulnerability alongside the original 4 other fixes.

ASUS RT-AC86U Firmware version 3.0.0.4.386.42643
1. Fixed CVE-2021-3450, CVE2021-3449 OpenSSL related vulnerability.
2. Fixed authentication bypass vulnerability. Special thank Chris Bellows, Darren Kemp – Atredis Partners contribution.
3. Fixed PPTP and OpenVPN server username/password GUI bug.
4. Fixed high CPU utilization issue.
5. Fixed the fragattacks vulnerability.

Does anyone know if Merlin's latest version (386.2_4) for the AC86U includes this GPL (42643)?
its magic :D

Hello. I have a problem with my RT-AC86U.
Whenever I try to update to 3.0.0.4.386.42643 router is going into bootloop.
I can recover any other firmware with Asus Recovery Tool. Every earlier firmware flashes OK, but when I try to flash to newest version, it causes bootloop.
I've downloaded firmware from Asus website. Double checked it, downloaded again and again.
Only this one specific version gives me a bootloop. Tried factory reset, 30/30/30 and it's still the same.
Currently I'm running 3.0.0.4.386.40451 which is stable for me.
Any sugestions? Thanks.

Tried factory reset, 30/30/30 and it's still the same.

There is no 30/30/30 with Asus routers. Read your User Manual how to reset your router properly. This firmware is working well on my 3x AC86U test units.

OK, I did NVRAM erase with WPS button. Now I can't even flash any firmware with recovery tool what I've done before.

EDIT:
Ok, succesfully flashed earlier firmware. Still I get a bootloop flashing latest.

Nope. Fresh install without restoring settings.
Tried this:
1. During bootloop I flashed previous firmware with recovery tool.
2. Did initial setup and restored factory defaults with initialising all settings (NVRAM erase via web-GUI).
3. Did initial setup again just to get into web-GUI.
4. Flash latest firmware.
5. Bootloop.
6. Erasing NVRAM with WPS buttton does nothing.

Nope. Fresh install without restoring settings.
Tried this:
1. During bootloop I flashed previous firmware with recovery tool.
2. Did initial setup and restored factory defaults with initialising all settings (NVRAM erase via web-GUI).
3. Did initial setup again just to get into web-GUI.
4. Flash latest firmware.
5. Bootloop.
6. Erasing NVRAM with WPS buttton does nothing.
Hard Factory Reset for AC86U: https://www.asus.com/support/FAQ/1039078

If you use the recovery tool to flash firmware use the current version. Newer firmware encrypted the NVRAM and older firmware versions likely will not flash. And, after flashing go get a coffee, beer or glass of wine and let the router process for a while.

When I'm flashing latest firmware with recovery tool it's bootlooping right after installation. Waited an hour or so.
One version earlier flashes good with recovery tool.
I think that this router is just piece of crap...

When I'm flashing latest firmware with recovery tool it's bootlooping right after installation. Waited an hour or so.
One version earlier flashes good with recovery tool.
I think that this router is just piece of crap...

If it's bootlooping, it's got an issue. If changing the firmware does not help, I would replace the hardware, starting with the power adapter... but the router probably has a hardware defect.

OE

If it's bootlooping, it's got an issue. If changing the firmware does not help, I would replace the hardware, starting with the power adapter... but the router probably has a hardware defect.

OE
Hello. Like I wrote before, changing firmware helps for bootloop. My bootloop issue occurs only on this one specific firmware version - 3.0.0.4.386.42643.
Every other (older) firmware flashes and works fine.

Hello. Like I wrote before, changing firmware helps for bootloop. My bootloop issue occurs only on this one specific firmware version - 3.0.0.4.386.42643.
Every other (older) firmware flashes and works fine.

My 2xRT-AC86U 3.0.0.4.386.42643 wireless AiMesh has never bootlooped since 2018. And there are not a flurry of bootloop reports here for this firmware. So, I would re-commission your router from scratch with a basic configuration and take it from there. You may discover a config issue or conclude the hardware is defective or decide to hold and hope for the next firmware update... but your bootlooping feels specific to your setup, not the firmware in general.

OE

Last edited:
Tried almost everything, including setup from a scratch with erasing NVRAM.
Was setting up router with minimum basic setup just to get to GUI.
For now I'll stick to older firmware waiting for new one.

PS. Maybe I should turn on SSH, update firmware and try to check what's going on during bootloop? But I don't know exactly how to do it...

Last edited:
Tried almost everything, including setup from a scratch with erasing NVRAM.
Was setting up router with minimum basic setup just to get to GUI.
For now I'll stick to older firmware waiting for new one.

PS. Maybe I should turn on SSH, update firmware and try to check what's going on during bootloop? But I don't know exactly how to do it...

In case it helps, what I do... install the firmware, webUI Restore w/Initialize, and configure from scratch. My baseline config is in my install notes.

That said, firmware 42643 is the first firmware update in years that I did not reset and configure, so still running with a dirty install.

OE

I'm still in 384 since last year, upgrading f/w for ASUS is like playing Russian Roulette. Since my router is fine till gonna wait till the end of 2021 to see if someone else Router is not exploding or something.

I'm still in 384 since last year, upgrading f/w for ASUS is like playing Russian Roulette. Since my router is fine till gonna wait till the end of 2021 to see if someone else Router is not exploding or something.
You are missing a bunch of security fixes. Guess you do not care for your family's security or data.

Had an issue today where LAN 3 (This goes around the outside of the house) dropped from 1gbps to 100mbps.

Reboot of the router and it's back to normal.

Nothing has changed so not sure as to what's caused this.

I did have this issue before and ended up rewiring one of the boxes at the end of the cable and it never happened again. So, either somethings happened there again, or the other end, or it was just a freak one off thing?

Will have to keep an eye on it! Hmm...

Last edited:

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!