What's new

Release New AC86U firmware 3.0.0.4.386_42643

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Your cable connection is close to Gigabit capable threshold. Replace the cable with a better one. Unrelated to router firmware.
My actual ISP service speed is 400 down and 35 up. I was talking about the speeds that are shown within the router. (Status where is shows the ethernet speeds)

Replace which cable?

Ac86u to ethernet faceplate port on the wall?
(Kenable Cat6 GIGABIT RJ45 COPPER Internet Patch Lead)

External cable on the outside of the house?
(Datazone Cat6 Solid Black UTP External Cable)

Cable from ethernet mount box to switch upstairs?

Last edited:
You are missing a bunch of security fixes. Guess you do not care for your family's security or data.
I only use for the sole purpose of dlna to watch some movies on my tv, no other data is accessible through it, the last time I upgraded the fw I had some issues with this feat.

My actual ISP service speed is 400 down and 35 up. I was talking about the speeds that are shown within the router. (Status where is shows the ethernet speeds)

Replace which cable?

Ac86u to ethernet faceplate port on the wall?

External cable on the outside of the house?
(Datazone Cat6 Solid Black UTP External Cable)

Cable from ethernet mount box to switch upstairs?
If the wall box is in an outside wall check the jack punch down connections. An easy way is to do a continuity test between jacks. Loosing one wire in the cable bundle will drop you back to 100 MB. If the jack boxes are inside the wall consider moving them to a surface mounted box. Without proper insulation/moisture barrier it is possible in a box inside a wall that condensate can form and corrode the connections.

If the wall box is in an outside wall check the jack punch down connections. An easy way is to do a continuity test between jacks. Loosing one wire in the cable bundle will drop you back to 100 MB. If the jack boxes are inside the wall consider moving them to a surface mounted box. Without proper insulation/moisture barrier it is possible in a box inside a wall that condensate can form and corrode the connections.

The one nearest the router is a faceplate. The box was already mounted to the wall inside the house from an old telephone line, I just swapped the faceplate.

The one at the other end is using a surface mount box - this one - it's using an old TV aerial hole in the wall, There's roughly 2/3 inches of cable coming through, then the mount box is there. So the box itself isn't pressed right against the hole in the wall.

The mount box I linked above seems like the best solution out the two. I had issues with the faceplate in this area prior, which is why I switched to that

I may look at swapping the faceplate near the router so it's using the same mount box I have upstairs.

I guess water or moisture could have hit that part of the cable and ran down through the wall into the faceplate area. with the mount box, that wouldn't be an issue due to the fact that's nowhere near the hole in the wall

No other logical reason as to why this has happened? Just seems bizarre.

Last edited:
The one nearest the router is a faceplate. The box was already mounted to the wall inside the house from an old telephone line, I just swapped the faceplate.

The one at the other end is using a surface mount box - this one - it's using an old TV aerial hole in the wall, There's roughly 2/3 inches of cable coming through, then the mount box is there. So the box itself isn't pressed right against the hole in the wall.

The mount box I linked above seems like the best solution out the two. I had issues with the faceplate in this area prior, which is why I switched to that

I may look at swapping the faceplate near the router so it's using the same mount box I have upstairs.

I guess water or moisture could have hit that part of the cable and ran down through the wall into the faceplate area. with the mount box, that wouldn't be an issue due to the fact that's nowhere near the hole in the wall

No other logical reason as to why this has happened? Just seems bizarre.
Water does not have to leak in. Condensation can form inside walls when conditions are right. Cold outside and warm moist air inside. When the two meet condensate can form. Modern house construction has a vapor barrier in the wall to stop moisture from moving through. Electrical junction boxes in outside walls lessen the amount of insulation between the inside and outside and can, in the right conditions, get damp inside. This is nothing new and modern wall construction with 2x6's is a lot better than 2x4 construction. And I believe you implied there is a hole from the junction box to the outside....

Water does not have to leak in. Condensation can form inside walls when conditions are right. Cold outside and warm moist air inside. When the two meet condensate can form. Modern house construction has a vapor barrier in the wall to stop moisture from moving through. Electrical junction boxes in outside walls lessen the amount of insulation between the inside and outside and can, in the right conditions, get damp inside. This is nothing new and modern wall construction with 2x6's is a lot better than 2x4 construction. And I believe you implied there is a hole from the junction box to the outside....
I mean, it's happened again. Download speed is capped at 95-100, so straight away I know it's not right

I'll look at taking the faceplate off tomorrow and swapping it for the mount box. Hopefully that should then sort out the issues.

The hole i'm on about is the hole where the cable goes from the back of the faceplate, out the wall and around the house. It hasn't had a cap over or that putty stuff applied (I've obviously forgot to do it!) So that water doesn't drip down into it.

Will update here: https://www.snbforums.com/threads/ac86u-intermittent-speed-issues-cable-issue.64886/

Last edited:
Can someone tell me if this latest firmware is stable enough for ac86u twin with aimesh on? Or Merlin?? Or recommend me a stable firmware. Because I haven't updated my firmware for a very long time. Still using 384.82072. From time to time i still need to manually restart both routers, As the wifi will occasionally drop speed by alot. Thanks

Can someone tell me if this latest firmware is stable enough for ac86u twin with aimesh on? Or Merlin?? Or recommend me a stable firmware. Because I haven't updated my firmware for a very long time. Still using 384.82072. From time to time i still need to manually restart both routers, As the wifi will occasionally drop speed by alot. Thanks
Aside from the wifi channels not syncing between the main and node on 2.4 everything else is working on my setup.

I am afraid of this problem. Thats why have not updated to latest firmware
The problem isn't affecting wifi performance. It's working without issues.

What about wifi with Aimesh? stable?
Yes. There are no show stopper issues with this firmware. FWIW I have good performance with an AC86U main router on an AiMesh system that is set to reboot nightly. Two wired nodes and one WIFI.

The only bug is the device list stays static (after 11 days uptime, in my experience)..other than that, rock solid firmware...

Hello. Like I wrote before, changing firmware helps for bootloop. My bootloop issue occurs only on this one specific firmware version - 3.0.0.4.386.42643.
Every other (older) firmware flashes and works fine.
So, back to my problem. ASUS released new firmware for RT-AC86U - 3.0.0.4_386_44470. Tried to update to this versian via GUI (with restoring defaults) and boom, bootloop. Flashed again with recovery tool = bootloop.
Flashed older 3.0.0.4_386_40451 firmware via recovery tool and it works. So, any newer firmware than this is causing bootloop. Piece of $h!t...

i never had bootloop.....So its not fw problem.

Strange thing is that I can flash ANY older firmware than 42643 and can't flash 42643 and anything beyond that version (bootloop after flash - dirty and clean)...
Today I've sent it for an RMA and bought RT-AX82U. I'll sell RT-AC86U after repair/replace.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!