What's new

New AP: Another ASUS Router or Ubiquiti AP?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

If you're looking for features like VLANs, you should not be looking at Orbi or other mesh systems in general.

They have very simple controls and limited options by design.

The guest network option you're concerned about hasn't changed.

NETGEAR is not known for updating products regularly "for years". They fix critical stuff and bugs, but usually move on to concentrate on newer products.

Once in awhile they'll do something like add DFS support and band steering ("Smart connect") to popular models. But not across the board.

If you're looking for features like VLANs, you should not be looking at Orbi or other mesh systems in general.

They have very simple controls and limited options by design.

The guest network option you're concerned about hasn't changed.

NETGEAR is not known for updating products regularly "for years". They fix critical stuff and bugs, but usually move on to concentrate on newer products.

Once in awhile they'll do something like add DFS support and band steering ("Smart connect") to popular models. But not across the board.

1. I see. I mentioned VLAN as I want to use the Orbi as wireless APs to my pfSense machine. I understand that VLAN tagging is needed for guest network to work properly with pfSense. But, if the Orbi's guest network works too, I am ok without VLAN tagging.

2. Hmm, I hope they fix that soon. Alternatively, I can run it as a router, but double NATing may result

3. Ah ok, as long they are willing to give security patches, I think I should be fine.