What's new

New apartment Wifi planning

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

jamadail

New Around Here
Hi guys, new user here. Seeking some advice for Wi-Fi in a new apartment.
Build in 1989, all brick&masonry, 5th floor so not considering outside coverage.

Below the blueprint of the apartment:

Red: fiber optic entry, where my ISP router is.
Blue: ceiling RJ45 connection for an AP (PoE capable)
Green: wall RJ45, used for TV

I've added red sprayed on the areas that have bad coverage (low speed / connections dropped).

Currently I've got an Ubiquiti AC Pro from 2016 on the Blue spot but Wi-Fi doesn't reach the edges of the apartment. Probably will go for two AP's, a new one near the ISP router (this router has Wi-Fi disabled).
In terms of Wi-Fi consuming devices we have 4 computers, 2 iPads, 2 iPhones, 1 TV. I don't currently have any AX devices so the most modern AC will do.
Any suggestions for a good setup? Thanks!

wifi-2.png

Last edited:
Good question! Yes, you need to plan your Wi-Fi first, and then build the walls! :)
Ideally, you need a Mesh, consisting of one router and one node. Then it all depends on your budget ...

Hi guys, new user here. Seeking some advice for Wi-Fi in a new apartment.

Below the blueprint of the apartment:

Red: fiber optic entry, where my ISP router is.
Blue: ceiling RJ45 connection for an AP (PoE capable)
Green: wall RJ45, used for TV

Currently I've got an Ubiquiti AC Pro from 2016 but Wi-Fi doesn't reach the edges of the apartment. Probably will go for two AP's, a new one near the ISP router (this router has Wi-Fi disabled).
In terms of Wi-Fi consuming devices we have 4 computers, 2 iPads, 2 iPhones, 1 TV. I don't currently have any AX devices so the most modern AC will do.
Any suggestions for a good setup? Thanks!

View attachment 37381

Where is the current AP located (the blue spot?)? And where do you want more coverage... which edges of the apartment and/or outside/car parking area, if ground level? Is there masonry around that fireplace?

OE

I would keep the Ubiquiti AP for now and run an Asus RT-AX86U in AP mode at the green location. This is not cost effective but Small Net Builder has good data that this router's wireless is top notch while good AP data is hard to come by from any source. The 86 may be all the AP you need.

Good question! Yes, you need to plan your Wi-Fi first, and then build the walls! :)
Ideally, you need a Mesh, consisting of one router and one node. Then it all depends on your budget ...

It's new for me, build in 1989 :) so walls already there. Budget wise I'm able to spend around 250€. Me and my wife both work from home so Wi-Fi it's important.

Where is the current AP located (the blue spot?)? And where do you want more coverage... which edges of the apartment and/or outside/car parking area, if ground level? Is there masonry around that fireplace?

OE
Yes the Blue spot, will make it clearer in the initial post. I've added red sprayed on the areas that have bad coverage (low speed / connections dropped). The apartament is on a 5th floor so not considering outside coverage. Oh and all the building is in brick / masonry, all the walls you see on the floor plant.

I would keep the Ubiquiti AP for now and run an Asus RT-AX86U in AP mode at the green location. This is not cost effective but Small Net Builder has good data that this router's wireless is top notch while good AP data is hard to come by from any source. The 86 may be all the AP you need.

Thing is I want just one network, don't see the Ubiquiti talking with the Asus router for that.

Thing is I want just one network, don't see the Ubiquiti talking with the Asus router for that.
The idea is to continue using your ISP router while both Ubiquity and Asus would be AP's on the same LAN. This would not be mesh.
Asus routers can run in router, AP and bridge modes. In AP mode, it would be another AP with the Ubiquity, not a router. The Asus and Ubiquity do not need to communicate. Of course each needs to communicate with the ISP router.
With the same SSID's and passwords, client WiFi devices could automatically reconnect to the other AP if out of range of the first. In practice this can work smoothly but sometimes it is not smooth. The behavior has more to do with the WiFi clients than the WiFi AP's. I would not use the same SSID's across 2.4 and 5 GHz bands though, clients tend to park in 2.4

Last edited:
I just don't want the assle of moving from one end of the house to another and losing connection due to the switching AP. (it happens often for me to be on call on "Quarto 2" and walk the other end to open the door)
Ubiquiti has new AP's but expensive and the complexity of configuring seems an overkill, but will go that route if I find nothing more simple/reliable.

Last edited:

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!