What's new

New Asus RT-AX88U Slow Upload speeds on Wifi only

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Very helpful information, thank you L&LD. What I meant about the 40Mhz was in regards to the option you mentioned I set for my 5Ghz, manually setting 160MHz. The 2.4GHz network (since I broadcast 2 separate SSID) has the options as well. It looks like the 3 options I can set for the 2.4 are either just 20, just 40, or 20/40MHz.

Last edited:
For 2.4GHz, 20MHz bandwidth is advised in crowded environments.

For 5GHz, 40MHz bandwidth would be 'a last' resort setting for me. :)

Test 80 and 160 and if those really are unacceptable for stability, then 40MHz bandwidth will most likely be unacceptable too.

At that point, it would be time to move. :)

System's are stable, no fluctuations in speeds, no drops, no disconnections, no compromised bandwidth from the numbers I've post since I set it up. It's just I immediately noticed that upload speed was halved, and that's it. Been rock solid 600-650/200 for every wireless device, unless I'm across the entire apartment in the 2nd bedroom then it goes down to 250-300/99, but that's fine.

More concerned that I possibly received a defective unit and didn't know if wifi performance was expected to cap with this router for any reason or another. Locally I can perf3 test faster speeds on the upload, so I didn't understand why that would be limited on a speed test when the available bandwidth is 950Mbits. I understand I wont see a full gigabit up/down to a 2ms pinged server over wireless on a phone, but I thought I'd at least match my upload speed with wifi 6 using symmetrical fiber. I don't know enough about how networks operate, and honestly have learned more in this thread than I have in a long while otherwise.

I appreciate all the help so far, really, thank you.

Edit 17:12: the iphone i've been testing with is spec'd 802.11ax Wi‑Fi 6 with 2x2 MIMO. When looking in the Wireless Log and shows the device connected via 2 streams, is that due to the 2x2 MIMO? Would that assume a 4x4 MIMO device would show 4 streams?

Last edited:
Yes, a 4x4 MU-Mimo client that was close enough to a 4x4 router, it would. :)

so it seems the iphones, ipads, and other wifi adapters in the home don't have 160mhz. I forgot my motherboard had integrated wifi, and I disabled my ethernet and connected using the Intel AC 9560. This is with whatever outdated drivers windows auto installed, and without the external antenna connected at all.

speedtest.net posted 562/839 Mbps - my desktop's built-in wifi card at the top.

8Ewp7W5.png

The thing I immediately noticed in the wireless logs area is that this is the only device so far that has connected at 160Mhz. So clearly the router is working fine achieving those speeds. I just need more advanced clients connecting to this to see faster speeds. Phew. That's good.

I thought I would of had more devices with 160MHz capabilities, I guess not. Thanks Apple. LOL I'll look to upgrade my wife's system with a better ax adapter to get better use out of the network though.

so it seems the iphones, ipads, and other wifi adapters in the home don't have 160mhz. I forgot my motherboard had integrated wifi, and I disabled my ethernet and connected using the Intel AC 9560. This is with whatever outdated drivers windows auto installed, and without the external antenna connected at all.

speedtest.net posted 562/839 Mbps - my desktop's built-in wifi card at the top.

8Ewp7W5.png

The thing I immediately noticed in the wireless logs area is that this is the only device so far that has connected at 160Mhz. So clearly the router is working fine achieving those speeds. I just need more advanced clients connecting to this to see faster speeds. Phew. That's good.

I thought I would of had more devices with 160MHz capabilities, I guess not. Thanks Apple. LOL I'll look to upgrade my wife's system with a better ax adapter to get better use out of the network though.

Vii can you please post your 2.4ghz and 5ghz setup? Like to check it out. Thanks

Attachments

• 2020-05-18 03_00_36-ASUS Wireless Router RT-AX88U - General - Personal - Microsoft​ Edge.png
    2020-05-18 03_00_36-ASUS Wireless Router RT-AX88U - General - Personal - Microsoft​ Edge.png
    367.1 KB · Views: 510
  • 2020-05-18 03_00_49-ASUS Wireless Router RT-AX88U - General - Personal - Microsoft​ Edge.png
    2020-05-18 03_00_49-ASUS Wireless Router RT-AX88U - General - Personal - Microsoft​ Edge.png
    180.3 KB · Views: 494
vii
Are you still experiencing the issue?
I have bought ax88u a couple of days ago. With Merlin 384.19 and 1G/1G connection I was able to get 930/638 on iPhone 11 (speedtest.net). Though the avarage is around 650-700/600.

vii
Are you still experiencing the issue?
I have bought ax88u a couple of days ago. With Merlin 384.19 and 1G/1G connection I was able to get 930/638 on iPhone 11 (speedtest.net). Though the avarage is around 650-700/600.

i'm still using 384.17, which is what I had when I started this post. Still having slow uploads as well. I've just accepted the 160-200Mbit limit my iOS devices were seeing. I still have to update to 384.19, but since I usually do a factory reset after upgrading firmware I needed to backup all my settings and that takes me so long to manually take screenshots of every settings page before wiping it all.

Anyone have a tool that exports settings to a log to make it easier to know every setting I had prior to factory reset?

In a same boat. Just bought ax88u. put latest Merlin on it. and my note9 is only giving me around 280mbps Down and 78mbps UP. That's on 500/500. Frontier router gave me around 240 both up and down... I had to disable AX as with that phone wouldn't even connect to wifi at all. Anyone found the magic setting that affects the upload speed?

Have you tried using a new SSID? Did you reset the network settings on the phone?

I am experiencing the half upload speed as well. wired and wireless. I just happen to be experiencing it with the RX-AX86U.

I have read you suggest this many times. Why does that matter when a different SSID will associate to the same MAC address?

I believe it's because your device will use a fresh config if you do that.
It should be sufficient to clear the existing connection (eg. forget the connection on a phone) and re-establish the association so any stored parameters are refreshed.
Using a different SSID makes absolutely sure there is no stale configuration so it is a stonger approach than just clearing an existing connection.

I believe it's because your device will use a fresh config if you do that.
It should be sufficient to clear the existing connection (eg. forget the connection on a phone) and re-establish the association so any stored parameters are refreshed.
Using a different SSID makes absolutely sure there is no stale configuration so it is a stonger approach than just clearing an existing connection.
Ok, thanks.

Have you tried using a new SSID? Did you reset the network settings on the phone?
Yes, I've renamed the SSID, same result. Changed the channel as well to a free one, no changes. instead of 500/500 or something close like at least 400/400, I'm getting Down 250-280 and Up 70-85 tops... Not sure what else to look for..

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!