What's new

New AX86U Settings

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

ArchDevil

Regular Contributor
Just received the AX86U and immediately flashed to newest Merlin firmware, Basically i would like to get some recommendations on optimizing the Wifi settings.
I have 2 Wifi 6 laptops that are located at the other side basically the end of the apartment and the router is located in the living room.
Would the laptops benefit from a better signal on the 160Mhz bandwidth (Ch 36-64)?
Also i never really understood what the difference of the different modulation schemes in the professional settings and if there's a difference in better signal or speeds if these are changed.
This is my current settings of 2.4Ghz and 5Ghz,

2.4Ghz:
Screenshot_20220114-201902~3.jpg

Professional:
Screenshot_20220114-202152~2.jpg

5Ghz:
Screenshot_20220114-202047~2.jpg

Professional:
Screenshot_20220114-202109~2.jpg

2.4GHz

change to N only

Professional:

Disable Universal Beamforming

5GHz

Ch. Bandw. 160 MHz

Try channel 36 or 40

Professional

Disable both Beamforming settings at the end of the list

You're good to go in my opinion...

2.4GHz

change to N only

Professional:

Disable Universal Beamforming

5GHz

Ch. Bandw. 160 MHz

Try channel 36 or 40

Professional

Disable both Beamforming settings at the end of the list

You're good to go in my opinion...
Why both beamform options on 5Ghz?

802.11ac beamforming is part of the Wifi standards.

You should be disabling both on the 2.4Ghz band as it’s non-standard.

Why both beamform options on 5Ghz?

802.11ac beamforming is part of the Wifi standards.

You should be disabling both on the 2.4Ghz band as it’s non-standard.
I left the ac/ax beamform option on as it wants also to disable another option if i disable it.
Screenshot_20220114-223347~2.jpg

Yes. MU-MIMO.

Which in itself is an unknown “does it work” setting.
I see.
For now I've changed 2.4Ghz to N only, disabled Universal Beamforming. on 5Ghz changed to 160Mhz channel 36, disabled Universal Beamforming but left the ac/ax beamforming enabled.
Any idea what's the difference between different modulation scheme's?

Any idea what's the difference between different modulation scheme's?
On my AC86U if I set the modulation scheme to MCS 11 my Pixel 6 Pro will get a link speed of 1083 vs 866 on MCS 9. This is the first AC device I've owned that took advantage of MCS 11.

Best to start out with the default WIFI settings. I have enabled the Roaming assistant under Professional. I use WPA2-Personal, 2.4 GHz set to 20 MHz Auto channel, 5 GHz set to 20, 40, 80, 160 MHz on Auto channel. I have disabled WPS.

Run with the default settings for a while then you can select fixed WIFI channels. 2.4 GHz may be best to use channel 1, 6 or 11. The 5 GHz on 160 GHz uses DFS channels and thus is subject to RADAR bounce. That's why I use Dual Band SmartConnect and the 20, 40, 80, 160 MHz setting. On Merlin 386.4 I have watched the router switch from 80 MHz to 160 MHz when one of our new laptops or iPhone connects to the WIFI.

If needed you can use WPA2/WPA3-Personal but some older clients may not like that. I have a Guest WIFI set with WPA2-Personal for just that reason.

Keep it simple to start. Trust Asus and Merlin with the default WIFI settings.

Best to start out with the default WIFI settings. I have enabled the Roaming assistant under Professional. I use WPA2-Personal, 2.4 GHz set to 20 MHz Auto channel, 5 GHz set to 20, 40, 80, 160 MHz on Auto channel. I have disabled WPS.

Run with the default settings for a while then you can select fixed WIFI channels. 2.4 GHz may be best to use channel 1, 6 or 11. The 5 GHz on 160 GHz uses DFS channels and thus is subject to RADAR bounce. That's why I use Dual Band SmartConnect and the 20, 40, 80, 160 MHz setting. On Merlin 386.4 I have watched the router switch from 80 MHz to 160 MHz when one of our new laptops or iPhone connects to the WIFI.

If needed you can use WPA2/WPA3-Personal but some older clients may not like that. I have a Guest WIFI set with WPA2-Personal for just that reason.

Keep it simple to start. Trust Asus and Merlin with the default WIFI settings.
Why use roaming assistant with only one router?

160MHz wide channel + DFS is not the best idea in an apartment building.

Don't use SmartConnect. You get Connect only, not very Smart. Take control of your devices.
I never used Smart Connect as i don't like the option and i like to control each device.
Currently my 5Ghz settings are, Smart Connect disabled, 160mhz enabled, channel 36, I. professional settings modulation scheme set to MCS 11, ac/ax beamforming enabled and universal beamforming disabled.
Any idea how i find what channels uses DFS so i can avoid it?

I never used Smart Connect as i don't like the option and i like to control each device.
Currently my 5Ghz settings are, Smart Connect disabled, 160mhz enabled, channel 36, I. professional settings modulation scheme set to MCS 11, ac/ax beamforming enabled and universal beamforming disabled.
Any idea how i find what channels uses DFS so i can avoid it?
With the 5 GHz set to 160 MHz you are into DFS channels!

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!