What's new

Release New AX88U Firmware v3.0.0.4.386.41700

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Spartan

Download = https://www.asus.com/me-en/Networking/RT-AX88U/HelpDesk_Download/

Changelog:

ASUS RT-AX88U Firmware version 3.0.0.4.386.41700
1. AiMesh 2.0
- System optimization: one click in AiMesh to optimize the topology
- System Ethernet backhaul mode, all nodes will only connect by ethernet, all bands will be released for wireless clients.
- System factory default and reboot.
- Client device reconnect, make the device to offline and online again.
- Client device binding to specific AP.
- Guest WiFi on all Mesh nodes (all node need to upgrade to 3.0.0.4.386 firmware)
- Access nodes USB application.

Connection priority and Ethernet backhaul mode introduction

How to setup ASUS AiMesh or ZenWiFi Mesh Ethernet backhaul under different conditions

2. New Family interface in ASUS router App.
ASUS Router App for iOS must greater or equal to iOS v1.0.0.5.75
Android version greater or equal to v1.0.0.5.74

3. The unit of the WiFi time scheduler goes to 1 minute.

4. Support IPSec IKE v1 and IKE v2, and you can use the Windows 10 native VPN client program to connect to the router's IPSec VPN server. The Windows 10 new FAQ is in https://www.asus.com/support/FAQ/1033576

5. 2.4 and 5G on the network map could be configured in the same tab.

6. Captcha for login can be disabled in administration -> system.

7. Printer server port can be disabled on the USB app page.

8. Clients which connect to the guest network can be viewed in the network map -->view list --> interface

9. Fix Lets encrypt not working properly.

10. Add IPTV supports for specific region.

Make sure to right click on the file you just downloaded, go to Properties, then hit Unblock from the bottom right as it may be blocked since it was downloaded from the internet, if you don't do this before you run the file or extract it, then it may not install correctly.

To prevent this automatic blocking of files in the future so you don't have to go unblocking every file you download to ensure it runs properly, follow the guide in this thread:

Make sure to right click on the file you just downloaded, go to Properties, then hit Unblock from the bottom right as it may be blocked since it was downloaded from the internet, if you don't do this before you run the file or extract it, then it may not install correctly.

To prevent this automatic blocking of files in the future so you don't have to go unblocking every file you download to ensure it runs properly, follow the guide in this thread:

You never have to do this with real ASUS firmware. I would caution anyone from flowing these bogus instructions.

PRO TIP: If you try to update to this firmware via LAN by uploading file from 386 RC2-9 or 10, it fails spectacularly. Workaround is to connect to router via Wifi and then update the firmware.

You never have to do this with real ASUS firmware. I would caution anyone from flowing these bogus instructions.
this has nothing to do with ASUS firmware! it's general computing any file you download gets blocked automatically by Windows.

PRO TIP: If you try to update to this firmware via LAN by uploading file from 386 RC2-9 or 10, it fails spectacularly. Workaround is to connect to router via Wifi and then update the firmware.
I updated it via LAN just fine

Last edited:
Downloaded twice, getting incorrect image while trying to update from the latest beta build

Update: This happened unzipping with the built in unzip on an m1 MacBook running 11.1. Unzipping with another tool like the unarchiver resulted in a successful firmware upgrade.

Downloaded twice, getting incorrect image while trying to update from the latest beta build

Update: This happened unzipping with the built in unzip on an m1 MacBook running 11.1. Unzipping with another tool like the unarchiver resulted in a successful firmware upgrade.
I think this is an issue with the latest beta build that was issued. I had to download the Rescue Tool and reflash my firmware that way when I wanted to get back to Merlin.

Does this version fix issue with guest network spewing error message when guest index 1 is used?

I think this is an issue with the latest beta build that was issued. I had to download the Rescue Tool and reflash my firmware that way when I wanted to get back to Merlin.
Brummygit + iceorbital,

I have just downloaded this version on my MacBookPro 15" (mid-2014 - intel) on Catalina 10.15.7 and flashed FW over Merlin's 386.1_beta4b.
  • It Flashed successfully, once done, I did a Factory Reset and did Minimum Configuration and
  • I flashed this FW another time over itself successfully.
  • Looks like the Firmware Upgrade/Downgrade bug has been fixed.
I just did Full Factory Reset of my AiMesh Router / Nodes ... Configured my regular settings, it seems to be running well. I will let in run for the next 1-2 days and report back after that.

Edit: I upgrade Firmware over LAN Connection to Router.

Last edited:
Does this version fix issue with guest network spewing error message when guest index 1 is used?
Hawk,
I normally do not use Guest Network ... since you asked, I just have a go at it. I setup Guest Network (1) on 5GHz band.
No spewing of error messages in the system log for the last 10 minutes. I will leave my Guest Network (1) on for a day to see if there is anything interesting that might come up in the log.
PS: Guest Network (1) Sync to ALL nodes

Last edited:
I would like to report:

I have been running smoothly with 3.0.0.4_386_41700-gb567bc9 for about 2 hours. I did Factory reset and use Stock default NVRAM settings except for items I required for my environment.

Hoping that it can be a useful comparison for others with similar configuration.

My Configuration:
  • AiMesh Router: AX88U 3.0.0.4_386_41700-gb567bc9 +
  • 2 x AiMesh Nodes: AC86U 3.0.0.4_386_41634-g08f88ae
  • Backhaul (Priority:"Auto", Type:"Wired"), Asus GX-U1051 5-Port Gigabit Switch from Router to Nodes, ISP: 1 Gbps Fibre
My steps to Upgrade from Merlin 386.1_beta4b -> 3.0.0.4_386_41634-g08f88ae:

(1) Factory Reset AiMesh Nodes with FW 3.0.0.4_386_41634-g08f88ae:
  • AiMesh -> Topology -> (Select a Node) -> Management -> Remove Node
  • Repeat for all Nodes
(2) Upgrade & Factory Reset AiMesh Router:
  • Administration -> Upgrade Firmware -> Select and Upgrade 3.0.0.4_386_41700-gb567bc9
  • Administration -> Restore/Save/Upload Setting -> Restore with (X) Initialize all the settings
(3) I try to leave NVRAM with Stock FW default values, except with the following changes:
  • Enabled AiProtection: ON
    • No issue with build-in Speedtest or Speedtest on my MacBookPro
  • USB Application
    • UPnP Media Server: OFF
    • Samba Share: OFF
  • Wireless:
    • 2.4 GHz: Fixed Channel Bandwidth 20MHz, Control Channel: Auto, Explicit & Universal Beamforming: Disable
    • 5.0 GHz: Fixed Channel Bandwidth 80MHz, Control Channel: Auto
  • Guest Network (1) on 5GHz Band
    • No Spewing of error messages in System Log
  • WAN DDNS:
    • Using Asus DDNS Service with Let’s Encrypt (Let’s Encrypt working now)
  • IPv6: Enable
    • Native
  • VPN Servers (Connecting one at a time from the following clients):
    • OpenVPN works with MacBookPro 3.8.5beta02 (build 5620), iPhoneXsMax iOS OpenVPN Connect 3.2.2
    • IPSec works with MacBookPro & iPhoneXsMax Native Configurations
    • Instant Guard works with iPhoneXsMax iOS Instant Guard 1.0.9
(6) Reboot AiMesh Network
  • AiMesh -> System Settings -> Reboot (AiMesh Router & Nodes)

Hawk,
I normally do not use Guest Network ... since you asked, I just have a go at it. I setup Guest Network (1) on 5GHz band.
No spewing of error messages in the system log for the last 10 minutes. I will leave my Guest Network (1) on for a day to see if there is anything interesting that might come up in the log.
PS: Guest Network (1) Sync to ALL nodes

Thank you, normally error message will be seen in system logs the moment guest network is enabled, not seeing so far is indeed good news.

RT-AX55 has no update as of yet, latest update off of asus site is 12-09-2020. GT (RT) AC5300 update is dated 8-3-2020.
I'm going to wait, I have a RT-AX88U and a RT-AX55 and a AC-GT5300 as nodes. Not sure they will play together, all are currently running 9.0.0.4.386_40947 with no known issues.

As a question, with my current beta software, will there be a hook to be able to just plainly update firmware from the router home page, or will I need a manual/flash install to get back to asus releases?
Thanks.

this has nothing to do with ASUS firmware! it's general computing any file you download gets blocked automatically by Windows.

I updated it via LAN just fine
If you are on 386 RC2-10 then firmware cannot update via LAN. I reproduced this issue on both my RT-AX88Us.

I would like to report:

I have been running smoothly with 3.0.0.4_386_41700-gb567bc9 for about 2 hours. I did Factory reset and use Stock default NVRAM settings except for items I required for my environment.

Hoping that it can be a useful comparison for others with similar configuration.

My Configuration:
  • AiMesh Router: AX88U 3.0.0.4_386_41700-gb567bc9 +
  • 2 x AiMesh Nodes: AC86U 3.0.0.4_386_41634-g08f88ae
  • Backhaul (Priority:"Auto", Type:"Wired"), Asus GX-U1051 5-Port Gigabit Switch from Router to Nodes, ISP: 1 Gbps Fibre
My steps to Upgrade from Merlin 386.1_beta4b -> 3.0.0.4_386_41634-g08f88ae:

(1) Factory Reset AiMesh Nodes with FW 3.0.0.4_386_41634-g08f88ae:
  • AiMesh -> Topology -> (Select a Node) -> Management -> Remove Node
  • Repeat for all Nodes
(2) Upgrade & Factory Reset AiMesh Router:
  • Administration -> Upgrade Firmware -> Select and Upgrade 3.0.0.4_386_41700-gb567bc9
  • Administration -> Restore/Save/Upload Setting -> Restore with (X) Initialize all the settings
(3) I try to leave NVRAM with Stock FW default values, except with the following changes:
  • Enabled AiProtection: ON
    • No issue with build-in Speedtest or Speedtest on my MacBookPro
  • USB Application
    • UPnP Media Server: OFF
    • Samba Share: OFF
  • Wireless:
    • 2.4 GHz: Fixed Channel Bandwidth 20MHz, Control Channel: Auto, Explicit & Universal Beamforming: Disable
    • 5.0 GHz: Fixed Channel Bandwidth 80MHz, Control Channel: Auto
  • Guest Network (1) on 5GHz Band
    • No Spewing of error messages in System Log
  • WAN DDNS:
    • Using Asus DDNS Service with Let’s Encrypt (Let’s Encrypt working now)
  • IPv6: Enable
    • Native
  • VPN Servers (Connecting one at a time from the following clients):
    • OpenVPN works with MacBookPro 3.8.5beta02 (build 5620), iPhoneXsMax iOS OpenVPN Connect 3.2.2
    • IPSec works with MacBookPro & iPhoneXsMax Native Configurations
    • Instant Guard works with iPhoneXsMax iOS Instant Guard 1.0.9
(6) Reboot AiMesh Network
  • AiMesh -> System Settings -> Reboot (AiMesh Router & Nodes)
Thanks, I am having a serious degradation of my wireless using an AX88U with 2 x AX56U nodes running the latest Merlin beta which is based on 386_41535. Wireless is screwed and changing settings is not improving things so am seriously thinking of upgrading to this version when I do a full factory reset. @LimJK are you still trouble-free?

Thanks, I am having a serious degradation of my wireless using an AX88U with 2 x AX56U nodes running the latest Merlin beta which is based on 386_41535. Wireless is screwed and changing settings is not improving things so am seriously thinking of upgrading to this version when I do a full factory reset. @LimJK are you still trouble-free?
brummygit,
After 12 hours, still trouble-free:). Our configuration is a little different.

I have it running for 8 hours so far, everything is going well. No nodes just main router with guest network.

I noticed that the firmware changelog says: " 9. Fix Lets encrypt not working properly. "

Mine was working for a little while, but has not updated since last August. Gave it a try with the new firmware and still no go.

The log says "Please specify at least one validation method: '--webroot', '--standalone', '--apache', '--nginx' or '--dns' etc." so I am guessing a parameter is missing?

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!