What's new

New Build Home - Home Network Questions

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

CC268

Occasional Visitor
Hey guys,

My wife and I purchased a new build home that will be done in the next 5-6 months. The house includes a "Structured Wiring Package" which basically includes a 30" enclosure, CAT 6 port/ coax/satellite port, and a 110V outlet. The house also includes a combo port (CAT 6 port/coax port) in the master bedroom and living room. I have the ability to add ports in the other two bedrooms as well, which I do plan on doing.

I am pretty new to setting up a home network, but I want to make sure I do any of the upgrades that might be useful while they are in the process of building the house, rather than after the fact.

A couple of questions:
1. They offer an upgraded structured wiring enclosure - it is a 42" enclosure rather than 30". It is a $160 upgrade. Is this worth it?
2. Is there any reason to have more than one CAT6 port in the bedroom? If you wanted to connect more than one device, couldn't you just have a network switch in that bedroom? You can get 2 port options installed, but it is more expensive. I'm not sure what the advantage of that would be.
3. They do offer a "Wireless Access Solution" package which includes a Wi-Fi access point, CAT pre wire and router for $1200. I imagine this is a waste of money and can probably be done for cheaper after the fact? Not to mention the house is already pre-wired, so I'm not exactly sure what this is getting me.

Thanks!

Update:
Just an update. I think I will do two ethernet ports per room including the garage. The master bedroom and living room will have 3 ports in addition to a coax cable (which I really don't care about since we don't buy cable and just use streaming services). I didn't realize it, but the house already includes a pre wired access point in the ceiling - near the kitchen/living room. This should cover the the master, kitchen, and living room perfectly. I'm about to try this UniFi Design Center application to see if maybe I would need a second access point. So it sounds like if I do the upgraded 42" wiring box, add these ports to the rooms/garage, and maybe a second access point I would be pretty well setup.

Last edited:
I would ask for ceiling drops for eventual ceiling mount access points. It all depends on what your future network plans are.

Hey guys,

My wife and I purchased a new build home that will be done in the next 5-6 months. The house includes a "Structured Wiring Package" which basically includes a 30" enclosure, CAT 6 port/ coax/satellite port, and a 110V outlet. The house also includes a combo port (CAT 5e port/coax port) in the master bedroom and living room. I have the ability to add ports in the other two bedrooms as well, which I do plan on doing.

I am pretty new to setting up a home network, but I want to make sure I do any of the upgrades that might be useful while they are in the process of building the house, rather than after the fact.

A couple of questions:
1. They offer an upgraded structured wiring enclosure - it is a 42" enclosure rather than 30". It is a $160 upgrade. Is this worth it?
2. Is there any reason to have more than one CAT6 port in the bedroom? If you wanted to connect more than one device, couldn't you just have a network switch in that bedroom? You can get 2 port options installed, but it is more expensive. I'm not sure what the advantage of that would be.
3. They do offer a "Wireless Access Solution" package which includes a Wi-Fi access point, CAT pre wire and router for $1200. I imagine this is a waste of money and can probably be done for cheaper after the fact? Not to mention the house is already pre-wired, so I'm not exactly sure what this is getting me.

Thanks!
1. 30" is the standard we install. Typically that's enough for a Wattbox Reboot, Router and POE switch.
2. We usually run one for a wall plate and 2 or 3 to the TV. Yes you can always add a switch. Really your options depend on your usage.
3. This is likely a business class solution. That price seems legit. I would assume that your house is prewired for APs already. When we prewire a home for a builder we always do. 1200 is getting you the equipment and installation/setup.

Alright sounds like maybe adding the two ports to the guest bedrooms and then maybe the Wireless Access Solution for $1200 would be a good way to go?

a) Good networking skills and own equipment plans - many wires to the rooms only, box as big as you need it to be
b) Basic idea how things work, but far from doing it yourself - pre-built Wi-Fi, if it covers the place + some wires to the rooms

Ask what hardware is included in this Wireless Access Solution and if it covers the entire area with Wi-Fi.

a) Good networking skills and own equipment plans - many wires to the rooms only, box as big as you need it to be
b) Basic idea how things work, but far from doing it yourself - pre-built Wi-Fi, if it covers the place + some wires to the rooms

Ask what hardware is included in this Wireless Access Solution and if it covers the entire area with Wi-Fi.
Yea I will ask on Friday when we finalize all our selections in what is included with the Wireless Access Solution.

Yes, come back after and we'll tell you if the price is reasonable or not.
Unfortunately it’s the only appointment you have to choose all these finishing items. So on Friday that will be it. I’ll try to get a good feel for what all is included and then make the decision I guess.

We really don’t need anything too fancy.

Unfortunately it’s the only appointment you have to choose all these finishing items. So on Friday that will be it. I’ll try to get a good feel for what all is included and then make the decision I guess.

We really don’t need anything too fancy.
Honestly a good Router is 300 to 500, 8 Port POE managed switch 300-600 and APs 400-600..... this is what we sell.... Along with that you'll have a place that can service your needs.

so for 1200... its a good deal.

These are business class solutions being put into homes.....

Sorry, but your company can sell this equipment so expensive only to people who have no clue.
Actually those are MSRP pricing.... and you shouldn't insult anyone. The people we sell to have a clue.... there is plenty of competition and our service sells itself.

Just as an FYI. The house is only 2100 sq feet. Not sure if that affects anything regarding coverage

I stand behind what I said above. This is not business class equipment.
...and here I thought your were one of the good ones here.... This conversation is done.