What's new

New Build Home - Home Network Questions

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Just as an FYI. The house is only 2100 sq feet. Not sure if that affects anything regarding coverage
2 APs are capable but house layout and materials are important. 3 APs at the most.

It’s in Arizona so just drywall lol. No brick or anything like that. Single story
I was talking about tile, brick fireplaces... steel framing and beams....things like that.

2 APs should be plenty... I have an 1800 sqft ranch with 2 APs.... It covers very well as well.

Good luck!

It depends on configuration and building materials.

I was a "good" one, until you mentioned 8-port PoE switch for $300-600. This is daylight robbery. What was the equipment name again?
Yes, it is managed and POE+..... price varies based on exact model.

It’s in Arizona so just drywall lol. No brick or anything like that.

Just ask the company if the offered solution covers the entire house. If they offer you something that sounds like spiders - decline.

Just an update. I think I will do two ethernet ports per room including the garage. The master bedroom and living room will have 3 ports in addition to a coax cable (which I really don't care about since we don't buy cable and just use streaming services). I didn't realize it, but the house already includes a pre wired access point in the ceiling - near the kitchen/living room. This should cover the the master, kitchen, and living room perfectly. I'm about to try this UniFi Design Center application to see if maybe I would need a second access point. So it sounds like if I do the upgraded 42" wiring box, add these ports to the rooms/garage, and maybe a second access point I would be pretty well setup.

you can use the RG6 coax by using MOCA2 or 2.5 modems to get at least Gbit/s ethernet to those locations. Only penalty is 1) added cost, and 2) a few msec of latency.