What's new

New feature - Remove USB Drive Safely on a Timer

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

I have now managed to put a halt script on. For the last whole week I have logged onto the router on the system log just before the script is executed and at 23:58 the script runs I can see the log updating and then the router come to a stop and then at Midnight the timer plug switches off the power. This is all working as expected. So thanks everyone for suggestions and help. I really appreciate it.

However, Now I have my hard drive plugged in now for the first time (4 days ago). And I started to see strange behaviour on the router. The issue I have is that on Saturday the wifi both 2.4 ghz and 5 ghz didn't switch on. I gave it a remote reboot and nothing. I had to press the push switch on the router off/on for the wifi to work.

Then on Sunday only 2.4 ghz turned on. again only way to fix was to switch off the router and on again.

Monday only 5 ghz wifi was on and today seemed okay both 2.4 and 5 ghz were all working. I will keep monitoring this I cannot find any information on the system log.

If anyone has any thoughts please let me know? (This has only been happening since I connected SSD drive to USB 3.0 port)

I have now managed to put a halt script on. For the last whole week I have logged onto the router on the system log just before the script is executed and at 23:58 the script runs I can see the log updating and then the router come to a stop and then at Midnight the timer plug switches off the power. This is all working as expected. So thanks everyone for suggestions and help. I really appreciate it.

However, Now I have my hard drive plugged in now for the first time (4 days ago). And I started to see strange behaviour on the router. The issue I have is that on Saturday the wifi both 2.4 ghz and 5 ghz didn't switch on. I gave it a remote reboot and nothing. I had to press the push switch on the router off/on for the wifi to work.

Then on Sunday only 2.4 ghz turned on. again only way to fix was to switch off the router and on again.

Monday only 5 ghz wifi was on and today seemed okay both 2.4 and 5 ghz were all working. I will keep monitoring this I cannot find any information on the system log.

If anyone has any thoughts please let me know? (This has only been happening since I connected SSD drive to USB 3.0 port)
Have you tried setting the 'Reducing USB 3.0 interference' to on when clicking on the device icon in Network map?

First try what @thelonelycoder suggested. A few other things to try: Make sure that the SSD drive is not powered via your router's USB (has its own power supply) and also you should have this script on /jffs/scripts/pre-mount
Code:
#!/bin/sh
# pre-mount script (to be installed in /jffs/scripts)
# auto-check filesystems during boot
# first argument is the filesystem to be mounted (e.g. /dev/sda1)

CHKLOG=/var/fsck.log

# determine the type of filesystem being mounted
FSTYPE=`fdisk -l ${1:0:8} | grep $1 | cut -c55-65`

# determine the appropriate checker for the filesystem
case "$FSTYPE" in
  Linux )
    CHKCMD="e2fsck -p" ;;
  Win95* | FAT* )
    CHKCMD="fatfsck -a" ;;
  HPFS/NTFS )
    CHKCMD="chkntfs -a -f" ;;
  * )
    logger "$0:" "Unknown filesystem type $FSTYPE on $1 - no filesystem check run."
    exit 1 ;;
esac

logger "$0:" "Running '$CHKCMD $1' - see output at $CHKLOG"
echo -e "\nStarting '$CHKCMD $1' at `date`" >> $CHKLOG
$CHKCMD $1 >> $CHKLOG 2>&1
(Remember to make it executable)

It is never a good idea to abruptly disconnect power to the storage system. A disk check when restarting the router may help. Whenever possible, monitor /var/fsck.log

A disk check when restarting the router may help
Sorry, I did not mean that it will help with the wifi issue: It will help maintain your drive better: i.e. kinda like the disk check the OSes go through if abruptly shut down.
Regarding the wifi issues try the interference thing and the dedicated power to the drive

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!