What's new

New firmware

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

royarcher

Very Senior Member
I noticed that on my android Asus app that the next Merlin firmware version is ready., It also gives me the option to update directly via the app . Is it okay to update that way or do you need to download the firmware update and unzip the file and update the regular way

I noticed that on my android Asus app that the next Merlin firmware version is ready., It also gives me the option to update directly via the app . Is it okay to update that way or do you need to download the firmware update and unzip the file and update the regular way
Definitely the regular way with you in full control, if you want to play safe. However, it would be tempting to see how well it works....,, ;) You could always backup your settings in case it goes wrong and you have to revert to your current firmware, which, of course, is best practice for any update, regular or otherwise.

Interesting that the app both recognises that you have Merlin rather than than Asus stock installed and if offering to update the new 384.12 for you. Proof of how closely Asus and Merlin work together.

I wonder if the app update checks the file hash?

If you do decide to live dangerously, let us know how it goes.

Last edited:
Definitely the regular way with you in full control, if you want to play safe. However, it would be tempting to see how well it works....,, ;) You could always backup your settings in case it goes wrong and you have to revert to your current firmware, which, of course, is best practice for any update, regular or otherwise.

Interesting that the app both recognises that you have Merlin rather than than Asus stock installed and if offering to update the new 384.12 for you. Proof of how closely Asus and Merlin work together.

I wonder if the app update checks the file hash?

If you de decide to live dangerously, let us know how it goes.
Yes I thought the same when I click on more information on the app it shows you the complete unzipped file so I thought maybe it would be ok, but then at the bottom it also suggests to download it and update it from there so hmmmm, what to do.I am tempted to see what happens when I click on update now in the app but my wife's binging on the X files (Hulu) so I can't try either way until she goes to bed because if I run into trouble the war office will be open for business with me in the firing line., Believe me not worth the Risk but as soon as I can do it I'll post my results

After double checking it it only tells you what is in the update eg the changes and new additions not the actual unzipped file that was when I clicked on update check on the router homepage., Sorry my mistake

I just tried this way to update on my RT-AC68U with firmware version 384.11_2.
The firmware version 384.12.0 was downloaded automatically and "installed" without any additional steps from my side during couple of minutes.
Then the router rebooted as usual but firmware version didn't change. At the same time my USB disks weren't mounted.
So I tried to repeat these actions one more time. But without success (this time my USB disks were mounted correctly).
Then I tried the third time :) But the result didn't change.
It seems as this way to update has some errors which influence on the final result. But it didn't harm my device anyway and there is a sense to try on your devices :)

p.s. During update over web interface I faced the same problems. They caused by JFFS custom scripts, so I formated this partition, rebooted device and repeated update over web. Result was successful - new firmware installed. After that I restored my JFFS custom scripts and rebooted device.

The firmware version 384.12.0 was downloaded automatically and "installed" without any additional steps from my side during couple of minutes.
Then the router rebooted as usual but firmware version didn't change. At the same time my USB disks weren't mounted.
So I tried to repeat these actions one more time. But without success (this time my USB disks were mounted correctly).
It seems as this way to update has some errors which influence on the final result. But it didn't harm my device anyway and there is a sense to try on your devices :)

p.s. During update over web interface I faced the same problems. They caused by JFFS custom scripts, so I formated this partition, rebooted device and repeated update over web. Result was successful - new firmware installed. After that I restored my JFFS custom scripts and rebooted device.
Ok cool thanks for that.I didn't think that updating through the Android app would work somehow, I'll stick to the tried and tested method cheers

L&LD’s guide to the “dirty flash” is here: https://www.snbforums.com/threads/r...-384-11-is-available.56501/page-2#post-488583
Perhaps try that at the next update and see if things go smoother?

I had to try and yes Ukraine's spot on.It goes through the process (the Android app) but the end of it it's still at 384.11.2 and he's also spot on the router is none whorse the wear .O well it would have been good.Ill check out l&LS guide now thanks for the link

I had to try and yes Ukraine's spot on.It goes through the process (the Android app) but the end of it it's still at 384.11.2 and he's also spot on the router is none whorse the wear .O well it would have been good.Ill check out l&LS guide now thanks for the link
It seems as the problem is in using JFFS custom scripts on router. If you do that then possibly updating will be unsuccessful. But if not - then there is a chance for success.

A collection of L&LD’s guides etc is here:
https://www.snbforums.com/threads/major-issues-w-rt-ac86u.56342/page-4#post-495710
together with his steps for what is now known as The Nuclear Reset.

Xentrk has also published a best-practice guide to firmware upgrades.

https://x3mtek.com/asuswrt-merlin-firmware-upgrade/

And as for what is meant by the usb drive, you probably know by now if you read Vexira’s link on user scripts. Certainly it is used if you run Skynet and Diversion.

https://www.snbforums.com/threads/major-issues-w-rt-ac86u.56342/page-4#post-495710

And as for what is meant by the usb drive, you probably know by now if you read Vexira’s link on user scripts. Certainly it is used if you run Skynet and Diversion.
In my case I use Diversion and couple of other scripts

Thanks for the links and I do know what you mean now cheers

Where would us noobies be without l&ld/xentrk and the like