What's new

New FW: ASUS RT-N66U Firmware Version 3.0.0.4.372 (2013.07.16 update)

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Effectively, the Xbox 360's maximum speed is severely crippled without the OfX option enabled. Assuming your internet connection is fast enough for it to be noticeable.

Simplest way to see the difference is with Netflix (outside of trying to find a good high-quality, high bitrate HD image to stream to the Xbox). Without OfX enabled, you can damn near guarantee that you'll never reach a speed that will allow Netflix to feed you an HD image. With it enabled, you should be getting close to, if not full, speeds to your Xbox 360 on your network, which allows you to achieve the "HD" signal strength in Netflix.

The issue many of us have had ultimately comes down to this:

We could use the newer driver and have the ability for the Xbox 360 to function properly BUT not have a stable 5GHz connection

-or-

We could use the older driver, have a stable 5GHz connection, but have the Xbox 360's speeds severely crippled.

I'm about to try out the newest FW in HOPES that my router will finally function properly on all fronts. I'll post back in a few days after testing it out.

I get an HD signal from Netflix with or without it. Even my old WRT54GL gives me and HD signal. Guess I have no issues with it. Thanks for your reply.

I get an HD signal from Netflix with or without it. Even my old WRT54GL gives me and HD signal. Guess I have no issues with it. Thanks for your reply.

Hrm... do you connect using the Xbox 360's own WiFi or did you buy the WiFi adapter?

Also, Linksys routers always tend to work properly for everything lol. For a while I circumvented the issue by using my ancient WRT54GS as my X360's own personal access point. The setup was adding a bit too much latency for me though so I ultimately stopped using it for that purpose. But essentially all is well and good for most folks until they're trying to just use the N66U's directly for the X360.

Last edited:
Hrm... do you connect using the Xbox 360's own WiFi or did you buy the WiFi adapter?

Also, Linksys routers always tend to work properly for everything lol. For a while I circumvented the issue by using my ancient WRT54GS as my X360's own personal access point. The setup was adding a bit too much latency for me though so I ultimately stopped using it for that purpose. But essentially all is well and good for most folks until they're trying to just use the N66U's directly for the X360.

It's the older Xbox with no built in Wi-Fi. So I purchased the Microsoft Adapter and the 5 Ghz band works well. I use my WRT54GL for my G devices in which I stream 1080p video to my PS3 upstairs. I have a 35 Mbps connection so streaming HD is no problem.

It's the older Xbox with no built in Wi-Fi. So I purchased the Microsoft Adapter and the 5 Ghz band works well. I use my WRT54GL for my G devices in which I stream 1080p video to my PS3 upstairs. I have a 35 Mbps connection so streaming HD is no problem.

Ahhh. Yeah that's why you're not seeing any issues. The adapter works fine. It's the internal wireless NIC that has the problem.

Ahhh. Yeah that's why you're not seeing any issues. The adapter works fine. It's the internal wireless NIC that has the problem.

I also own 2 Gears of War 3 Xbox Consoles and it only finds the 2.4 Ghz band. Is it supposed to also find the 5 Ghz band? Which 360 do you have?

I also own 2 Gears of War 3 Xbox Consoles and it only finds the 2.4 Ghz band. Is it supposed to also find the 5 Ghz band? Which 360 do you have?

No. The internal wireless NIC does not support the 5GHz frequency, only 2.4GHz. I have the Xbox 360 S.

Glad to hear a new wireless driver is coming soon. My success ended today with the .372. I went to watch a movie on the AppleTV and it didn't worked. I rebooted the appletv and one of my broadcom adapters dropped down to 54 Mbps on 5ghz. I never did get the apple tv to connect. Some strange interaction with the Apple tv and my broadcom wireless adapters and that asus wireless driver.