What's new

New Home Network System

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

LoganW

New Around Here
Hello!

I am doing a home rennovation which is allowing me the opportunity to add ethernet drops and wireless access points throughout my house. I'm looking to see if I'm misunderstanding anything or if there are better products for my needs. I have not purchased anything for this project yet, but have included some links below.

My budger go closer to $250 - $300 total for the router and switch but was unsure if that's necessary.
If you were working with this budget, which router / switch would you recommend? My area's max is 400Mbps, but I'm at the 200Mbps rate at the moment.
  • 2 WAPs means a wired router without WIFI is fine
  • The switch has 16 ports, so 1 going to the modem leaves 15 to be used on the patch panel
  • A 24 port patch panel so that if I wanted to expand or maybe add speakers I could do so

Modem (ET2251 from Spectrum)
|
Wired Router (TP-Link TL-R605)
|
Network Switch (Netgear GS316)
|
Patch panel (24 ports)
| |
2 WAP 12 Drops

https://www.newegg.com/netgear-gs316-100nas-16-x-rj45/p/N82E16833122822
https://www.neweggbusiness.com/product/product.aspx?item=9b0e6-002w-006w7

TP-Link SafeStream TL-R605 ($60) needs Omada controller (OC200, $90) for full configuration options access.

TP-Link SafeStream TL-R605 ($60) needs Omada controller (OC200, $90) for full configuration options access.
I wasn't really planning on doing too much configuring (since I wouldn't know how I should configure it). Would I still need this controller then? Or is there a different wired router I'd proabbaly be better off with?

Read the specs:

* These functions require Omada SDN controller.
** Standalone mode only feature
*** Controller mode only feature

Similar functionality Gigabit router for $60 is hard to find. Perhaps Ubiquiti EdgeRouter X or MicroTik hEX.