What's new

New master with 2.5 GB WAN and RT-AC86U as nodes

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Pyb

Occasional Visitor
Dear all,

I have got a mesh config, with RT-AC88U as master and 2 RT-AC86U as nodes (I know it's not good because 86 are better than 88, but anyway).
All is working fine since years, but I would like to upgrade the 88 with a router which accept a 2.5 GBit WAN port. I found some on Asus website, but not sure it will work fine with my nodes (for ex, the RT-AX86U Pro or the RT-AXE7800):
- because my nodes do not accept the WiFi 6, is it a pb if the master manages WiFi6?
- maybe do you have another idea for this upgrade?

Many thanks!

PYB

Dear all,

I have got a mesh config, with RT-AC88U as master and 2 RT-AC86U as nodes (I know it's not good because 86 are better than 88, but anyway).
All is working fine since years, but I would like to upgrade the 88 with a router which accept a 2.5 GBit WAN port. I found some on Asus website, but not sure it will work fine with my nodes (for ex, the RT-AX86U Pro or the RT-AXE7800):
- because my nodes do not accept the WiFi 6, is it a pb if the master manages WiFi6?
- maybe do you have another idea for this upgrade?

Many thanks!

PYB

If you are sticking with dual-band, the next best upgrade might be to wire the backhauls.

OE

In fact I just want to use my 2.5 GBit port from my internet box (I have got an 2 GBit acces, but not usable right now).

Dear all,
Finally I bought this RT-AX89X. Stock firmware (no Merlin firmware available).
And I keep my two RT-AC86U as nodes, with last Merlin firmware.
All is working perfectly, and I have got the correct speed (more than 2000 mbps detected by the RT-AX89X).

Have a nice week!

PYB

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!