What's new

New OS: DSM 6 - worth the upgrade risk/hassle for a 2 bay?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

stevech

Part of the Furniture

As I read the new features, and those that will run on a 2 bay, I see only a new backup utility. Unclear if it's an improvement over my current use of "Backup and Restore" plus the add-in "Time (file versioning) Backup".

Any other compelling new goodies for low end NASes?

As I read the new features, and those that will run on a 2 bay, I see only a new backup utility. Unclear if it's an improvement over my current use of "Backup and Restore" plus the add-in "Time (file versioning) Backup".

Any other compelling new goodies for low end NASes?

It's a big update - depends on what features are introduced, and whether one needs them or not...

Goes without saying though, make sure all is backed up before pulling the trigger in case something goes wrong.

I've read the release notes and new features.
support of the BTRFS is not for 2 bay. And many of the new features are not in my wish list.

I've read the release notes and new features.
support of the BTRFS is not for 2 bay. And many of the new features are not in my wish list.

Sounds like it's in the "not doing" bucket then, eh?

All good...

I think I'll peruse the Synology user forum and filter.

Sometime I will buy a newer/faster NAS, probably still 2 bay. Mine a DS212 (ca. 2012). But it works well and has been problem free. So the cheap in me resists.