What's new

New Project Advice from Forum Members

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

yakuzah

Occasional Visitor
Hi Everyone, new to the forums and wanted some advice and opinions on my latest Home project?

I have just purchased a new Asus GT-AX11000 Router for my new Fibre Gigabit Internet service for my home.

I wanted to maximise my Internet throughput for my home devices across my network and provide Wi-Fi 6 capabilities at the same time.

I have two main questions I was wondering if people could help with?

My house is not huge, but is unique with a few solid walls which impact signal quality and strength, so I want to utilise AiMesh and purchase another Asus Router to partner with my new AX11000. My challenge is whilst I know most routers that support AiMesh will probably work, I obviously want to try and leverage the latest Wi-Fi 6 speeds on both devices.

Once I started looking at the different Asus models I was concerned about supported Wi-Fi Speeds and different data rates between the different devices!

For background information I intend to use Wired Backhaul across Cat 6A between the two devices. I would possibly like to stick with Tri-Band in case I need to extend and add an additional Router into the AiMesh but use Wireless Backhaul for that extra device.

1. My main question is what Router would offer the best benefits for using in a mesh format? I have looked at the RT-AX92U (AX6000) which supports Tri-Band or the RT-AX86U Which only supports Dual Band? Or would you suggest another model?

2. The other remaining questions are regarding splitting the Wi-Fi Channels?

- Should I use SmartConnect, use one SSID and let the router decide how to deal with the client and what speed it connects? As OFMDA will be used will this assist with traffic management and congestion as I know it is meant to assist in traffic management?

- Or should I split the channels into their relevant categories and as suggested by Asus use the WiFi 6 Channel (AX) for dedicated Gaming for my PS5 etc?

I admit with my previous setup which was a meshed Synology setup, having one SSID and just let the Router manage the connectivity and speed was nice and easy, but I am happy to take advice from you chaps :)

Really massive thanks to anyone who can offer advice?

Would really appreciate everyone's opinion.

thanks
Gary

Hi Everyone, new to the forums and wanted some advice and opinions on my latest Home project?

I have just purchased a new Asus GT-AX11000 Router for my new Fibre Gigabit Internet service for my home.

I wanted to maximise my Internet throughput for my home devices across my network and provide Wi-Fi 6 capabilities at the same time.

I have two main questions I was wondering if people could help with?

My house is not huge, but is unique with a few solid walls which impact signal quality and strength, so I want to utilise AiMesh and purchase another Asus Router to partner with my new AX11000. My challenge is whilst I know most routers that support AiMesh will probably work, I obviously want to try and leverage the latest Wi-Fi 6 speeds on both devices.

Once I started looking at the different Asus models I was concerned about supported Wi-Fi Speeds and different data rates between the different devices!

For background information I intend to use Wired Backhaul across Cat 6A between the two devices. I would possibly like to stick with Tri-Band in case I need to extend and add an additional Router into the AiMesh but use Wireless Backhaul for that extra device.

1. My main question is what Router would offer the best benefits for using in a mesh format? I have looked at the RT-AX92U (AX6000) which supports Tri-Band or the RT-AX86U Which only supports Dual Band? Or would you suggest another model?

2. The other remaining questions are regarding splitting the Wi-Fi Channels?

- Should I use SmartConnect, use one SSID and let the router decide how to deal with the client and what speed it connects? As OFMDA will be used will this assist with traffic management and congestion as I know it is meant to assist in traffic management?

- Or should I split the channels into their relevant categories and as suggested by Asus use the WiFi 6 Channel (AX) for dedicated Gaming for my PS5 etc?

I admit with my previous setup which was a meshed Synology setup, having one SSID and just let the Router manage the connectivity and speed was nice and easy, but I am happy to take advice from you chaps :)

Really massive thanks to anyone who can offer advice?

Would really appreciate everyone's opinion.

thanks
Gary

Note that WiFi 6e is arriving and will operate a bit differently than WiFi 6. Too early to buy, but you may want to read up on the details.

While waiting for AX experience to comment, I'll suggest you narrow down on a second tri-band AX router, buy it, and experiment to learn... cost of ownership and buy-in to mesh Wifi.

Matching the number of 5.0 GHz antenna streams will ensure the strongest wireless backhaul... pair a 5.0 4x4 with a 5.0 4x4.

If you could wire all backhauls, you could skip tri-band and/or set AiMesh 2.0 to Ethernet Backhaul Mode Only to release all WiFi for wireless clients only.

As for Smart Connect, plan out same and different SSIDs and try it with and without Smart Connect to see what you and your clients prefer. I like Smart Connect, but I think I experience a bit more client connection uncertainty/disruption with it, so currently not using it.

Whether you use Smart Connect node band steering or not, I would use fixed, least congested, non-DFS channels to prohibit auto channel changes from disrupting client connections... more stable WiFi.

OE

Note that WiFi 6e is arriving and will operate a bit differently than WiFi 6. Too early to buy, but you may want to read up on the details.

While waiting for AX experience to comment, I'll suggest you narrow down on a second tri-band AX router, buy it, and experiment to learn... cost of ownership and buy-in to mesh Wifi.

Matching the number of 5.0 GHz antenna streams will ensure the strongest wireless backhaul... pair a 5.0 4x4 with a 5.0 4x4.

If you could wire all backhauls, you could skip tri-band and/or set AiMesh 2.0 to Ethernet Backhaul Mode Only to release all WiFi for wireless clients only.

As for Smart Connect, plan out same and different SSIDs and try it with and without Smart Connect to see what you and your clients prefer. I like Smart Connect, but I think I experience a bit more client connection uncertainty/disruption with it, so currently not using it.

Whether you use Smart Connect node band steering or not, I would use fixed, least congested, non-DFS channels to prohibit auto channel changes from disrupting client connections... more stable WiFi.

OE
Thanks so much for your reply. yes read up about WiFi6e yesterday. Interesting, like you say to early to jump into yet. I guess I can always invest in WiFi 6 and then upgrade my devices a later stage.

May I ask a question on one of your comment please?

"If you could wire all backhauls, you could skip tri-band and/or set AiMesh 2.0 to Ethernet Backhaul Mode Only to release all WiFi for wireless clients only." Do you mean that the model RT-AX86U would release s third band or would that still be dual band only? I am guessing it would remain Dual Band only with 1 x 2.4 and 1 x 5.0 Ghz?

I think after reading a lot o f articles today I will separate the bands. I will probably test with Smart connect.

With regards to Matching antenna streams? I presume that is more applicable if using Wireless Backhaul? If they were not matched would it have a huge impact?

Thanks very much for replying and taking the time to answer.

Thanks so much for your reply. yes read up about WiFi6e yesterday. Interesting, like you say to early to jump into yet. I guess I can always invest in WiFi 6 and then upgrade my devices a later stage.

May I ask a question on one of your comment please?

"If you could wire all backhauls, you could skip tri-band and/or set AiMesh 2.0 to Ethernet Backhaul Mode Only to release all WiFi for wireless clients only." Do you mean that the model RT-AX86U would release s third band or would that still be dual band only? I am guessing it would remain Dual Band only with 1 x 2.4 and 1 x 5.0 Ghz?

I think after reading a lot o f articles today I will separate the bands. I will probably test with Smart connect.

With regards to Matching antenna streams? I presume that is more applicable if using Wireless Backhaul? If they were not matched would it have a huge impact?

Thanks very much for replying and taking the time to answer.

The intent of AiMesh 2.0 Ethernet Backhaul Mode Only is to release ALL WiFi for wireless clients only. No WiFi will then be used/set aside for wireless backhauls. It remains to be seen how specific equipment behaves to this still-in-beta firmware setting.

Each stream adds to the connection throughput. If you have a 4x router/root node and add a cheaper 2x remote node, then you will be leaving half of the potential 4x throughput on the table. Users do this all of the time when they buy a cheap laptop with one antenna instead of two.

OE

The intent of AiMesh 2.0 Ethernet Backhaul Mode Only is to release ALL WiFi for wireless clients only. No WiFi will then be used/set aside for wireless backhauls. It remains to be seen how specific equipment behaves to this still-in-beta firmware setting.

Each stream adds to the connection throughput. If you have a 4x router/root node and add a cheaper 2x remote node, then you will be leaving half of the potential 4x throughput on the table. Users do this all of the time when they buy a cheap laptop with one antenna instead of two.

OE
Fantatsic thanks so much for your help and advice :)

OE
Sorry Ozark, one more question I promise ;)

so if the Ax11000 has 4x4 on 5Ghz(1) and the AX92U only supports 2x2 will the primary node step down to the lowest common denominator, or will devices connected to the Larger Router get the benefits of 4x4, and only devices connected to the lesser router get 2x2?

Sorry slightly confused.

Sorry Ozark, one more question I promise ;)

so if the Ax11000 has 4x4 on 5Ghz(1) and the AX92U only supports 2x2 will the primary node step down to the lowest common denominator, or will devices connected to the Larger Router get the benefits of 4x4, and only devices connected to the lesser router get 2x2?

Sorry slightly confused.

The 4x4 will remain a 4x4. The 2x2 will remain a 2x2. If the two communicate with each other for a wireless backhaul, it will not exceed the abilities of the 2x2.

OE

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!