What's new

New repeating error message

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

DexterII

Occasional Visitor
Hi all,

It’s been awhile, probably before the last firmware update since I’ve really checked my routers logs. But I notice an error message of

kernel: XX:XX:XX:XX:XX:XX not mesh client, can't update it's ip

This repeats every couple minutes.
This is for a hardwired Rasberry pi that I have a static IP set on and DHCP disabled because I don’t want it’s server address changing.
I can’t seem to find a related post with someone with the same error. Anyone know anything about this and how to stop it?
Thx

Hi all,

It’s been awhile, probably before the last firmware update since I’ve really checked my routers logs. But I notice an error message of

kernel: XX:XX:XX:XX:XX:XX not mesh client, can't update it's ip

This repeats every couple minutes.
This is for a hardwired Rasberry pi that I have a static IP set on and DHCP disabled because I don’t want it’s server address changing.
I can’t seem to find a related post with someone with the same error. Anyone know anything about this and how to stop it?
Thx
I'm using an RT-AC190P and noticed today the same messages. I have two Netgear access points set up (wired) to bring wi-fi to other parts of the house so am not using the router's AIMesh option. Can't seem to locate anything on the internet about what this message means. (I have IP addresses for multiple devices showing up..not just one.)

Discussed many times
Turn off aiProtect

and FYI, I typed that in google just now and several SNB threads came right up at the top...

Discussed many times
Turn off aiProtect

and FYI, I typed that in google just now and several SNB threads came right up at the top...
Thank you...this was the first one that popped up for me..went through a couple of others however it wasn't clear.

Are there any downsides of turning off aiProtect? Is the "basic" firewall good enough? Appreciate the patience with a non-technical amateur. Thx.

Thank you...this was the first one that popped up for me..went through a couple of others however it wasn't clear.

Are there any downsides of turning off aiProtect? Is the "basic" firewall good enough? Appreciate the patience with a non-technical amateur. Thx.
Well for what it's worth, and you'll get differing answers, but aiProtect seems to have its ups and downs whether or not it's actually working. The logging in particular "may" work and "may not" leaving you wondering if it's actually doing anything. Of course it could still be doing its job, just not logging anything. that leaves enough doubt for me though. The router by itself should block most things that aiProtect would block. If you use a good ad blocker on your browsers and a good anti-virus on your pc's you will be well covered. Anything "IOT" is another matter and if they are relatively up to date and from a reputable company, that says a lot too.

You can leave it on if you want and ignore the log message. It's just debug material and not an actual error.

I don't have aiprotect enabled, I still see the message, and the message is more than a debug message in my case. The mac address is the mac for a wifi AP (non asus) that's got some devices connected to it's ethernet ports. The device itself appears to get kicked off the network sometimes as do the devices it is acting as a bridge for.

I was also seeing those messages after I updated to firmware version 386_41973 on the ZenWiFi AX. Along with a "crashlog". Reverted to 386_26044, reset and reconfigured, and now not seeing those messages. I suspect that AiMesh 2.0 isn't quite there yet, but that's just a guess on my part.

I'm not using AiProtection, by the way *smile*.

I kept getting a similar log entry for my WD MyCloud device. A reboot of the WD MyCloud device solved the problem.

Last edited:
I see this error message repeatedly sometimes after a restart, referring exclusively to my Sky box wired into the router. I also notice that when I'm getting these messages the Internet Speed tab doesn't work (just starts test but fails) and also the client list only shows traffic stats for devices connected to the router.

Does your Internet speed tab work? Do you see traffic stats on all clients?

After reverting to firmware 26044, didn't see those messages for about 3 days. Have now gone back to 41793, did a full reset and manual reconfig afterwards, and immediately started getting the "not mesh client, can't update it's ip" notices again. So these messages appear to be related to 41739, and I'm not using AiProtection or a Sky box, or a WD MyCloud, or whatever. Very vanilla clients here.

The MAC Addresses that the notices are issued about are my mac desktop, an iPhone SE 2020, and a Samsung Galaxy S10 phone. "Private Address" is turned off on the iPhone, and there's nothing interesting about the S10. The only thing that they have in common that I'm aware of is they're all wifi-6 clients, but we have at least one more wifi-6 client and it doesn't get mentioned in a notice.

This is a mystery to me, aside from the fact that I don't see them in firmware before 41793. So it may be something wrong in the AiMesh 2.0 code, or it may just be a harmless notice that can be ignored. I'll be watching for crashes in the log, and if I get any, try and see if they're co-located with these notices. I'd love to look at the kernel source code and see under what conditions these notices are output, but that doesn't seem likely to happen *smile*.

If I do see crashes, I'll just revert back to 26044 again and wait for better firmware *smile*.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!