What's new

New Router help

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

AndyH22

New Around Here
Hi All,

I am after some advice on which way to go to replace my ISP router which can be unstable and in current times is more of an issue.

Service is 50-60 down, FTTC from EE in UK. (in prep have already purchased a BT Openreach Huawei VDSL / FTTC Fibre Modem - Refurbished (HG612)

ISP router is

Usage is light to medium, 2 tablets, 2 phones, 2 work laptops, 1 personal, 6 IOT (bulb etc) and chromecast. Only really a few devices really being used at anyone time, at least pulling anything noticeable.

House is 90m2 single storey simple rectangle, brick walls, router is central. Can be moved to loft, cat5e in some rooms (switch in loft). Detached garage is the main problem (treadmill set up), steel door seems to shield most signal. No signal in garden. I have set up a second router in the loft at corner near garage, this gives around 20 down but the door still kills it (only 3m away).

ISP router gets 5ghz signal to all of house and gives around 40 down which would be ok if didn't have drops etc. 2.4ghz is just rubbish 10-15 max within a few metres, i think something in the house causes interference.

No wifi 6 devices or likely to get any, dont do any big file transfers etc or VPN etc. Just very standard use, just want stable and secure. I am happy to update firmware but dont want to be always playing with device etc.

Being going around in circles between mesh and a decent router, I worry mesh would give to much wifi in the house and that a decent set would cost way to much. AX router although quite pricey seem to suggest, from what I read, to have increased 2.4ghz range. Would this still just get zapped by that infamous door? Dont want to spend on AX router and then still have to get extra equipment to mesh to extend.

The idea for the mesh was to place a node at the back wall of house and then one in garage to almost come into the garage from the side and miss the door.

My budget is around £150 , any thoughts hopefully my ramble is clear enough.

Last question, am I right to assume that a good router would deliver my max service (50-60) on 2.4ghz?

Thanks

Andy

Hi All,

I am after some advice on which way to go to replace my ISP router which can be unstable and in current times is more of an issue.

Service is 50-60 down, FTTC from EE in UK. (in prep have already purchased a BT Openreach Huawei VDSL / FTTC Fibre Modem - Refurbished (HG612)

ISP router is

Usage is light to medium, 2 tablets, 2 phones, 2 work laptops, 1 personal, 6 IOT (bulb etc) and chromecast. Only really a few devices really being used at anyone time, at least pulling anything noticeable.

House is 90m2 single storey simple rectangle, brick walls, router is central. Can be moved to loft, cat5e in some rooms (switch in loft). Detached garage is the main problem (treadmill set up), steel door seems to shield most signal. No signal in garden. I have set up a second router in the loft at corner near garage, this gives around 20 down but the door still kills it (only 3m away).

ISP router gets 5ghz signal to all of house and gives around 40 down which would be ok if didn't have drops etc. 2.4ghz is just rubbish 10-15 max within a few metres, i think something in the house causes interference.

No wifi 6 devices or likely to get any, dont do any big file transfers etc or VPN etc. Just very standard use, just want stable and secure. I am happy to update firmware but dont want to be always playing with device etc.

Being going around in circles between mesh and a decent router, I worry mesh would give to much wifi in the house and that a decent set would cost way to much. AX router although quite pricey seem to suggest, from what I read, to have increased 2.4ghz range. Would this still just get zapped by that infamous door? Dont want to spend on AX router and then still have to get extra equipment to mesh to extend.

The idea for the mesh was to place a node at the back wall of house and then one in garage to almost come into the garage from the side and miss the door.

My budget is around £150 , any thoughts hopefully my ramble is clear enough.

Last question, am I right to assume that a good router would deliver my max service (50-60) on 2.4ghz?

Thanks

Andy

A worthy-level Asus router would be the RT-AC86U. Asus AiMesh allows adding a router as a wired/wireless node... this gives you an upgrade/expansion path. My install notes have some application clues.

Radio power is regulated. Most good routers will have similar power with newer routers doing a better job with it. So, buy a good router and you'll get expected coverage and throughput... subject to hardware and firmware defects. At least the firmware can get updates for fixes, security patches, and with some OEM's like Asus, new features.

It sounds like one router will cover your house. An AiMesh node might be required to cover the outbuilding. Or maybe locating the one router in that direction might cover the house and provide some coverage for the outbuilding... depends on layout and materials.

Dense materials like a stone fireplace can be an obstacle to WiFi... it helps to route radio signals around these (instead of through the heavy steel door).

OE

Thanks OE, appreciate you taking the time to reply.

Is the AC86U the minimum I should consider? Conscious it would take all my budget (current £160 in UK) and leave nothing left if I do need to extend for coverage.

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!