What's new

New router recommendation

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

reefer123

Occasional Visitor
@RMerlin TAHNKS for everything

just wonder which router should i get now , i have 2 one is AC3100 which provides me the wifi (EOL but i will keep it for now) , the other is AX56U (with the radio off - in wired use only) which is no longer supported ...

would like to replace the AX56U with something that has "good" hardware (cpu, ram , etc.) and Merlin support , dont care about how many antenas or bands - it will be in wired use only ...

whats the rcomendations now with all the Asus not so good news ?

any new list ?

BTW my internet is "slow" 150/30 so dont need 2.5G

thanks

@RMerlin TAHNKS for everything

just wonder which router should i get now , i have 2 one is AC3100 which provides me the wifi (EOL but i will keep it for now) , the other is AX56U (with the radio off - in wired use only) which is no longer supported ...

would like to replace the AX56U with something that has "good" hardware (cpu, ram , etc.) and Merlin support , dont care about how many antenas or bands - it will be in wired use only ...

whats the rcomendations now with all the Asus not so good news ?

any new list ?

BTW my internet is "slow" 150/30 so dont need 2.5G

thanks
Why not keep the RT-AX56U? It's still (currently) supported by Merlin. Surely a better option than the AC3100(?).

RT-AX86U Pro is the cheapest model with newer BCM4912 hardware and future 3.0.0.6 Asuswrt 5.0 support.

is there somewhere a "what's recommended" list ?
hopefully in order with the most/least powerful hardware , expected support etc ...

would be good to know - just in case if something goes on sale or it pops on used market ...

thanks

is there somewhere a "what's recommended" list ?

Asus has upgrade suggestions on the End-Of-Life list itself, but not very reliable.

My own list based on what's inside (hardware) and what it runs (firmware) is here:

This is expectations list only, the reality may be different. Asus may change their plans tomorrow.

Any recommendations for WiFi6E or 7? Asus or others, that are decent and might have support for at least a few years, but don't cost more than a new car...

At this point?

None.

so i narrowed down to "RT-AX86U Pro" and "RT-AX88U Pro"
what is the difference between them ? (except $)

what i found out is that:

so 86u has only one 2.5G port that could be either WAN or LAN ?
and the 88u has two 2.5G ports , one is WAN and one is LAN ?
also the 86 has a "gaming" LAN that should be / is prioritized ?

anything else ?
and is this "gaming" port on 86 really usfull if you play games ...

thanks

The RT-AX86U Pro stands vertically so requires a little headroom, whilst the RT-AX88U Pro lays flat so needs some real estate.

RT-AX88U Pro. There is no other choice.

just to make sure ...

i can update the "ax86u pro" with latest merlin firmware right from the box ?
i dont need to load any previous versions - doing "step updates" ?

thanks

Yes, flash RMerlin firmware. Perform a full reset (I suggest doing all three methods available). Do not use a saved backup config file. Do not insert a USB drive that was previously used for amtm/scripts (unless first formatted on a PC to NTFS format).

See what to change below:

1713218482848.png

just wonder if this ↑ is a security "problem" ? - not sure if i will keep it on , just wanna to try it ...

thanks