What's new

New router - RT-AC86U, RT-AX58U or something else?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

frispel

New Around Here
Need advice regarding a new router for relatively light use - a couple of phones, ipads and laptops, plus a TV and a few IoT. All of these are still on AC. Its going to be the only router in a relatively small house (wooden walls) so decent range is a plus.

At the moment I can get a RT-AC86u on sale for the same price as a RT-AX58U (about €130 which is my max budget ), but I'm a bit worried about how long the older models will have firmware upgrades. Is the RT-AC86u still the better choice in this price range, or are there other devices that are better? AX isn't needed at the moment, but might be useful in the future. On the other hand I prioritize stability and reliability over max speed.

I hope some of you with more experience here on the forum can point me in the right direction as to what I should buy! :)

What model wifi router do you have currently? In what areas is it lacking now, and/or what do you hope to gain from a new purchase?

Also, if you truly prioritize stability and reliability over speed, a shift towards SMB-grade discrete components may be a better path to go. All depends on if you want an "easy button" solution and/or everything in one box. Either path is valid, just comes down to preference.

I use a AX58U in a 1,000 sqft condo and it can reach all areas (wood frame construction), though there is some signal fall off at the furthest point. My router is not centrally located.
I've got about 15 devices that connect regularly and both my wife and I work from home with plenty of video calling etc.

For me the 58 is enough.

YMMV :)

What model wifi router do you have currently? In what areas is it lacking now, and/or what do you hope to gain from a new purchase?

Also, if you truly prioritize stability and reliability over speed, a shift towards SMB-grade discrete components may be a better path to go. All depends on if you want an "easy button" solution and/or everything in one box. Either path is valid, just comes down to preference.
Currently have a Technicolor TG799vac Xtream, but that router is on loan from the internet provider. I'll be moving in about a month and will have a new internet provider and therefore need to get my own router this time. Last time I bought my own router it was a Linksys WRT54GL, but that unit has sadly passed away quite a few years ago. So consumer grade one box solutions is what I'm looking for.

Right now I have no need for AX units, so I probably should get a solid AC unit. But I get the impression that most AC models are ageing and that the newer AX models might be better with newer components. But the again, older models been around for long enough to build a reputation. I just cant make up my mind :p

I use a AX58U in a 1,000 sqft condo and it can reach all areas (wood frame construction), though there is some signal fall off at the furthest point. My router is not centrally located.
I've got about 15 devices that connect regularly and both my wife and I work from home with plenty of video calling etc.

For me the 58 is enough.

YMMV :)
Good to know!

That's about the same kind of usage we have right now :)

If you're expecting your ISP speeds to increase significantly above about 500Mbps (up/down) during your use of the new router, then the RT-AC86U is still the superior choice (as a router). By that point, the RT-AX86U or the model that supersedes it (in actual use, not in the model number only) will be available for cheaper than what a current router is going for.

The RT-AC86U sets a very high bar as an 'entry-level' router today. Only the RT-AX88U and the RT-AX86U are better, overall (when considering RMerlin powered Asus routers that I have experience with and can recommend).

I am getting Google Fiber next week, what do you think of the RT-AX58U for that. Will it handle the 940mb Up/Down speeds?

Technically, yes. Real-world, no.

I see an RT-AX86U in your future. If you want to enjoy the ISP upgrade, you'll receive next week. :)

^ Sounds like a plan. ;)

Technically, yes. Real-world, no.

I get 940/940 using the built in speed test on my AX58U so yes the AX58 can handle it. Keep in mind you wont get gig speed over wifi.