What's new

New Router.......same Youtube download issues

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

GoPr0ne

New Around Here
Hi All,

I'm new to the forum. Being somewhat techno-challenged at times I find it a real blessing to have really smart people around that take the time to impart their wisdom and knowledge. So thank you for that.

I ended up in this forum after struggling with a YouTube issue. Up until today I had been running an E4200v2. Whenever I try and watch a YouTube video, especially in HD, it's an absolutely painful experience. The download will come to a screeching halt, not even a "buffering" circle. Just dead stop. This will usually happen anywhere between 15 to 30 secs into the video. Sometimes, if I pause and wait long enough, It will start again only to stop dead in another few seconds. Sometimes not at all. It's impossible to watch anything. No issues on any other sites that I've noticed. This is with my desktop, which is hard wired into the router. I average about 55-60Mbps download from my ISP. I thought maybe they were throttling, so I tried bypassing the router, directly into the modem and the downloads were normal. No issues. 1080P videos downloaded way ahead of the progress bar and I had no problem watching anything. So, I figured it must be a router issue then. Googled the issue with the E4200v2 and found I wasn't alone. Some fixes were suggested that seemed to work for some, but for others like myself, no such luck. I didn't like the Cisco "Join Our Cloud to get firmware updates" policy, so I never updated the firmware because of that. Maybe that was the problem? OK then. Time for a new router.

After doing some reading I landed on this ASUS RT-N66R(U), which I purchased today from BB. Installation was a breeze. Love the GUI compared to Cisco's. Only took a few minutes and everything was connected and purring right along. I flashed to Merlin's 372.31 F/W. I have 13 devices connected wirelessly and one desktop that's hard wired. So far, I'm totally happy with this router and love everything about it, except for one thing.........I still have the same damn YouTube issue.:mad: It seems to be somewhat sporadic, but definitely still an issue. It was worse than before after I first installed the ASUS. After flashing the F/W. It was still the same. Now, as I'm typing this post I'm running a 45 min video in 1080P and the gray download bar is, so far, out pacing the red player bar 23 mins in. Go figure? I've been running speedtest.net every time I'm on YouTube lately just to be sure I'm not having issues there and I'm getting 60Mbps+ download at the same time as the video chokes up.

Any one else having this problem? If I have the download speed and I have no issues when I bypass the router, then doesn't it seem logical to look to the router as the culprit? Any tweaks I can make that will make this nightmare go away?

Thanks for reading my long-winded post. Just hoping to get this resolved.

~~

Here are some things to check... If you are using a different DNS server in your computer or router settings (such as Google DNS, etc..) other than your ISP's then switch back your settings to use your ISP's local DNS server.

Does the YouTube problem only happen with your computer or does it happen with all devices (tablets, smartphones, etc.) that access YouTube? If you are still having problems check to see if your computer's antivirus or antispyware software has web protection enabled. If it does then try disabling it and see if your YouTube problem goes away.

Last edited:
Whenever I try and watch a YouTube video, especially in HD, it's an absolutely painful experience. The download will come to a screeching halt, not even a "buffering" circle. Just dead stop. This will usually happen anywhere between 15 to 30 secs into the video. Sometimes, if I pause and wait long enough, It will start again only to stop dead in another few seconds. Sometimes not at all. It's impossible to watch anything. No issues on any other sites that I've noticed.
Hi,

Many ISP (Internet Service Providers) are shaping the YouTube traffic to limit the bandwidth and use YouTube proxies to cache the most seen videos.

This (unfortunately) does not work well all the time. :(

I had similar issues with my cable ISP some time ago. Exactly the same problems as you have.

You have only three options:
a) Complain to your ISP!
b) Wait and see! - Typically this will improve and the problem will go away, as many will complain to your ISP! This was my solution. :rolleyes:
c) Look for a proxy (free or paid) which will not limit your YouTube experience.

With kind regards
Joe :cool:

Good points made about ISP caching. I have read that ISPs are doing this more frequently for popular sites to compensate for their limited bandwidth during times of the day of high customer usage. I guess it depends on the particular ISP if, when and how much they are implementing this.

In the last year I have experienced more video lag and gaming latency problems when using Google DNS. I have also experienced random problems at times using my ISP DNS but I seem to get consistently better results using my regular ISP's DNS servers.

I have also experienced extreme video lag using the browsers on my PC that I later discovered were a direct result of antivirus and antispyware security software. Many security suites are now implementing features that use their own web address security lookup and authentication checks during browsing. While this does improve web browser security it can also at additional lag time and video streaming delays on some systems but this problem doesn't necessarily effect all computers using web security software features. The lag problem can also be specific to certain web browsers. This is why I asked about whether the YouTube lag issue is a general problem effecting all devices accessing the internet or if it is only effecting a PC.

Note: Is your modem in bridge mode or does it have a DHCP server function enabled? Using the modem bridge mode is generally the preferred setting if it is available in the modem's settings. Another thing to look at is whether you are using MAC address cloning in your router settings. If you are having lag or connection problems try turning MAC cloning off if it is enabled. In the Asus settings under the WAN > Internet Connection tab - go to the bottom and make sure the Special Requirement from ISP - MAC address - field is blank and then click apply.

Last edited:
Here are some things to check... If you are using a different DNS server in your computer or router settings (such as Google DNS, etc..) other than your ISP's then switch back your settings to use your ISP's local DNS server.

Does the YouTube problem only happen with your computer or does it happen with all devices (tablets, smartphones, etc.) that access YouTube? If you are still having problems check to see if your computer's antivirus or antispyware software has web protection enabled. If it does then try disabling it and see if your YouTube problem goes away.

Since I let the router configure everything, I would assume it grabbed my ISP's DNS Server by default?. My son complains about the constant buffering on His Kindle. I've been using the same 45 min video on everything for consistency. Running it right now on the Kindle and it's playing fine?? Tried it on my phone and it won't even load. Trying on my PC and same ol' same ol'. All are currently connected to my network. I've not noticed the problem when my phone is on Verizon LTE. I just ran the video on the 4G LTE and it seems to be fine.

I did consider the Antivirus could be the culprit. I run Avast Free and Bit Defender 60 second Virus Scanner. Disabled both in start up and rebooted. No difference??

Last edited:
Hi,

Many ISP (Internet Service Providers) are shaping the YouTube traffic to limit the bandwidth and use YouTube proxies to cache the most seen videos.

This (unfortunately) does not work well all the time. :(

I had similar issues with my cable ISP some time ago. Exactly the same problems as you have.

You have only three options:
a) Complain to your ISP!
b) Wait and see! - Typically this will improve and the problem will go away, as many will complain to your ISP! This was my solution. :rolleyes:
c) Look for a proxy (free or paid) which will not limit your YouTube experience.

With kind regards
Joe :cool:

Since my first instinct was that it's my ISP's fault, I called to complain about the issue. I talked with a level II tech who was actually the one that had me bypass the router to check the performance, which started me on the new router quest. I have Cox Cable Premier Service. Although I've not heard any rumblings that Cox was throttling usage like I've heard of some other ISP's doing, I did discuss that with him. He was very confident that Cox absolutely did not go down that road. I pretty much believe him I guess. The more I google this issue, the more I see lots of complaints about this very thing as far back as a year or more ago:confused:

Note: Is your modem in bridge mode or does it have a DHCP server function enabled? Using the modem bridge mode is generally the preferred setting if it is available in the modem's settings. Another thing to look at is whether you are using MAC address cloning in your router settings. If you are having lag or connection problems try turning MAC cloning off if it is enabled. In the Asus settings under the WAN > Internet Connection tab - go to the bottom and make sure the Special Requirement from ISP - MAC address - field is blank and then click apply.

Everything under "Special Requirement from ISP" is blank except for the DHCP Query Frequency, which was set to Aggressive Mode by default.

I'm using a Moto SB6120. As I mentioned in my OP, I'm not the brightest bulb, especially when it comes to networking stuff, so I don't know how to put the modem in bridge mode. Here's what it says under configuration:

Frequency Plan: North American Standard/HRC/IRC
Custom Frequency Ordering: Default
Upstream Channel ID: 3
Favorite Frequency (Hz) 837000000
DOCSIS MIMO Honor MDD IP Mode
Modem's IP Mode IPv4 Only
DHCP Server Enabled
The SURFboard cable modem can be used as a gateway to the Internet by a maximum of 32 users on a Local Area Network (LAN). When the Cable Modem is disconnected from the Internet, users on the LAN can be dynamically assigned IP Addresses by the Cable Modem DHCP Server. These addresses are assigned from an address pool which begins with 192.168.100.11 and ends with 192.168.100.42. Statically assigned IP addresses for other devices on the LAN should be chosen from outside of this range

Your current Motorola 6120 shows DHCP server enabled? In your RT-N66 router under settings for Network Map does it show addresses assigned from the address pool which begins with 192.168.100.11 and ends with 192.168.100.42? (only need to reply yes or no... you don't have to post your WAN IP address). If you have not already done so you could contact your ISP support and request they help determine if your Motorola 6120 is properly provisioned. They may be able to run tests and make sure it is set up to work properly with your router. Some cable and DSL modems provided by ISPs (such as ATT UVerse) are not set up in bridge mode but default to having the modem's DHCP server always enabled.

I am not familiar with the 6120 model but I used to use the almost identical model Motorola 6121 cable modem with my RT-N66U and the way it was provisioned from my ISP I don't believe the router normally had DHCP enabled or at least the modem was able to auto detect the proper setting of bridge mode when a router was connected to it. With my ISP (and most cable providers) the DHCP on the ISP's server passes the WAN IP address to the modem and the modem should pass that same IP to the router.

I often had problems with connectivity when I switched from direct connection of modem to PC and then to modem to router. I would usually have to power the modem and router off for up to five minutes before proper connectivity was restored.

In order to narrow down all the potential issues including hardware try changing the Ethernet cables between the modem, router and hard wired computer. Use Cat5e or better. Cat6 interconnect would be optimal. I use S/SST (shielded/shielded twisted pair) Cat7 spec for all my interconnect Ethernet cable. If your ISP provided your Motorola 6120 cable modem you could also request a newer model or different model of cable modem from them to see if that helps.

Last edited:
Give it a shot; worked for me. If I see my kids are on the net I still get the occasional slowdown and choking while watching youtube, but otherwise it got better.
Kill the QoS by flipping the switch to off, or at least kill the QoS rules related to file download: http (80), https (443), don't remember if ftp (21) file download throttle exists by default but kill it too.
See if this helps
If I repeated someone else's advice then my bad, I did CTRL+F to see if anyone else suggested QoS in their post, and I did not find any.

Your current Motorola 6120 shows DHCP server enabled? In your RT-N66 router under settings for Network Map does it show addresses assigned from the address pool which begins with 192.168.100.11 and ends with 192.168.100.42? (only need to reply yes or no... you don't have to post your WAN IP address). If you have not already done so you could contact your ISP support and request they help determine if your Motorola 6120 is properly provisioned. They may be able to run tests and make sure it is set up to work properly with your router. Some cable and DSL modems provided by ISPs (such as ATT UVerse) are not set up in bridge mode but default to having the modem's DHCP server always enabled........

I'm showing the WAN IP 72.xxx.xxx.xx under the Network Map tab on the router. I'm not sure where I would be looking from what your saying. The address pool 192.168.xxx.xx are assigned from the router to the clients as they connect right?

I am not familiar with the 6120 model but I used to use the almost identical model Motorola 6121 cable modem with my RT-N66U and the way it was provisioned from my ISP I don't believe the router normally had DHCP enabled or at least the modem was able to auto detect the proper setting of bridge mode when a router was connected to it. With my ISP (and most cable providers) the DHCP on the ISP's server passes the WAN IP address to the modem and the modem should pass that same IP to the router.

The SB6120 is the same as the 6121 as I understand. Same Firmware, just a different casing. It's the first DOCSIS 3.0 that Motorola put out. I bought it back in 2011. The 6121 is replacing it. Only difference is in how it looks I guess.

I often had problems with connectivity when I switched from direct connection of modem to PC and then to modem to router. I would usually have to power the modem and router off for up to five minutes before proper connectivity was restored.

I did power down the PC, router and modem when I switched. Both ways.

In order to narrow down all the potential issues including hardware try changing the Ethernet cables between the modem, router and hard wired computer. Use Cat5e or better. Cat6 interconnect would be optimal. I use S/SST (shielded/shielded twisted pair) Cat7 spec for all my interconnect Ethernet cable. If your ISP provided your Motorola 6120 cable modem you could also request a newer model or different model of cable modem from them to see if that helps.

Just for the sake of it, I did replace the ethernet cables. Bought shielded CAT6's down at Fry's. I think the modem is fine. Nothing to upgrade to seeing as how the 6121 is virtually the same.

As much as I thought it was to begin with, I now really don't think it is a router issue, or a modem issue, or an ISP issue. The more I look into it, I think it really is a YouTube issue. It's just to sporadic. I've run the same test video tonight at 1080P and it played just fine. I'm just going to lay it at the feet of Google and hope they get it resolved.

Thanks for all you help SoCalReviews.:D I did at least learn some things here and I'm still glad this episode lead me to the RT-N66. So far, I'm very happy with it and really like the GUI over the E4200v2. Let's hope it stays stable. That's really all I want. Fast and stable!

Give it a shot; worked for me. If I see my kids are on the net I still get the occasional slowdown and choking while watching youtube, but otherwise it got better.
Kill the QoS by flipping the switch to off, or at least kill the QoS rules related to file download: http (80), https (443), don't remember if ftp (21) file download throttle exists by default but kill it too.
See if this helps
If I repeated someone else's advice then my bad, I did CTRL+F to see if anyone else suggested QoS in their post, and I did not find any.

Yes, I have QoS turned off. Thanks for the suggestion.:)

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!