What's new

New router - what is the best way to install Merlin from fresh when starting out with ASUS WRT

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

wesbez

Regular Contributor
As the title says. Do I update to the latest ASUS wrt first - factory reset - install Merlin wrt. In this order.

Simply flash Merlin to the router , then reset. After that configure as you need.
I agree but, myself, I'm a "trailing edge" kind of guy. I like running Asus WRT for a couple of weeks first. Kind of a calibration / "getting to know you" baseline kind of thing. (Also I tend to be a bit lazy ; -)

Then I start thinking about upgrading to Merlin:
  • Have I been having intermittent problems? I upgrade to Merlin and then doubly appreciate it if the problems go away.
  • Does Merlin offer a feature that I'd like over stock? Often it's his implementation of traffic analyzer that wins me over. Again it allows me to doubly appreciate Eric's efforts.
  • Other times I find stock is working well and offering me everything I need for that particular application so I just leave things as is. I can always change my mind another day.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!