What's new

New router with very stable wireless 5ghz

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

didario

Occasional Visitor
Hi.
I need a router with a very stable 5ghz network (or two). The router will support 10-15 wired clients and 10-15 wireless clients (smatphones, tablets, streaming Netflix, HBO, Amazon Video ...).
In addition, I have two routers that are and will be used in wireless bridge mode (AC68u, N66U, the distance from the main router is max 3m). I don't want to use the mesh mode because I think the distances are too small and the wireless networks are interfering with each other.
so far I have tested AC86u but gave it away because every hour Ac68u disappeared in the logs for an hour (WLCEVENTD wlceventd_eth6: Deauth/ auth) I do not know if this is not a bug in asus ac86u software. This was done on OF and Merlin firmware.
Currently, my choice has been initially chosen by RT-AC5300 (+Merlin firmware of course).
Are 5ghz networks stable in it?
All my wireless devices have max AC. I don't have AX devices.
Thanks for your help :)

Go for the Netgear R7800 with Voxel firmware installed on it and you're rock'n rolling :)

I would say stop looking at the logs and focus on the devices and whether they work right.

Try a Cisco WAP581 wireless AP and a short patch cable to a Cisco RV345P router. You will have solid 5GHz.

@coxhaus beat me to it. If you're core requirement is rock-solid wireless stability, the consumer segment would be about the last place I would look. Sure, you could monkey with third-party firmwares and probably find something that works well enough (OpenWRT + Qualcomm hardware likely being the best), but why even go to the trouble when SMB or enterprise-grade APs can get you there immediately, no fussing necessary?

I'd pair a discrete AP with a rock-solid wired router (optionally a PoE switch) and be done with it, per coxhaus's example or something similar. Your network will run more like an appliance and less like a toy.

Hi.
I need a router with a very stable 5ghz network (or two). The router will support 10-15 wired clients and 10-15 wireless clients (smatphones, tablets, streaming Netflix, HBO, Amazon Video ...).
In addition, I have two routers that are and will be used in wireless bridge mode (AC68u, N66U, the distance from the main router is max 3m). I don't want to use the mesh mode because I think the distances are too small and the wireless networks are interfering with each other.
so far I have tested AC86u but gave it away because every hour Ac68u disappeared in the logs for an hour (WLCEVENTD wlceventd_eth6: Deauth/ auth) I do not know if this is not a bug in asus ac86u software. This was done on OF and Merlin firmware.
Currently, my choice has been initially chosen by RT-AC5300 (+Merlin firmware of course).
Are 5ghz networks stable in it?
All my wireless devices have max AC. I don't have AX devices.
Thanks for your help :)
I had the RT-AC5300 and eventually returned it. The Merlin firmware didn't improve the performance. I was seeing less than 400 Mbps on wired and under 150 Mpbs on wireless. Here's a pic of the performance I'm seeing from my Alien on WiFi.

Attachments

• alien.jpg
    alien.jpg
    26.7 KB · Views: 201

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!