What's new

New routers with better wall penetration coverage?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

vkvance

Occasional Visitor
I am currently using 3 routers, rt-ac68u, rt-ac56u and dlink 850l. Seeing that a few new models of router has released since then, I was thinking if range and especially wall penetration technology has improved. So far from ads of the new routers only emphasize on faster bandwidth...
I am more concern with 5ghz range.
I hope to use only 1 router, don't wish to use extenders or extra routers because whenever i move around from one location to another, the mobiel devices I use tend to hold onto current ssid and won't auto jump to next next nearest ssid smoothly.
I am considering rt-ac88u or ac5300.

This is how my house layout is like: I can only connect to the routers at red points because that where the lan point are available.

I have 18 wirelss devices used in this house.
iphone 6s
xiaomi redmi note 2
Dell vostro 5470
samsung note 10.1 2014 edition
iphone 6
iphone 4S
Ipad 2
Note 3
Asus laptop
Iphone 3G
Samsung Tab
Xiaomi mi4i
3x Dlink webcam
logitech Harmony remotte
Broadlink RM1
xiaomi note
--------------------

You missed the more important part, you should install the router on the center, not wheres located now.

That will definitel improove your coverage on those places.

If you dont have a way to install it there, you can try to find one it's your best chance.

You can also try a repeater, a new router will probably not improove the portion you need, so i doubt it solves the problem.

Probably you should try a PowerLine kit device so you can put it in the center of the house.

Good luck.

Last edited:
yup, i knew center should always be the best spot but I can't put there. The best centralize location i can put is room 2.
But can the newer routers solve my problem? Do they have better penetration and longer range then my existing routers?

Try a PowerLine kit, it will solve your problem, you will be able to set your router anywhere.

As i pointed out before, even the new routers could improove it will never be enough, so it doesnt justifys buying a new router on those conditions.

I have used powerline before but my house wiring seems to have interference with it. The speed was so bad going wireless gave better results. My powerline adaptors had a a warning led to indicate that there is something causing interference, no matter where I placed it the warning was always there and the speed was bad.
So I guess I am stuck with multiple routers?

Have you tried a different PL kit/brand? Also have you tested them closer each other?

If the house is too big and they are too much far away problems like that (slow connection) can happen.

Last edited:
Have you tried a different PL kit/brand? Also have you tested them closer each other?

If the house is too big and they are too much far away problems like that (slow connection) can happen,

Did not try other brand, but my house is quite small. Anyway the lan points shown in the picture is generally where electric sockets are available too.

If the house is too big and they are too much far away problems like that (slow connection) can happen,[/QUOTE]
Thank you - totally agree...

Best performance in WiFi is location of the AP relative to the clients...

If penetration and range has not really improve from my current rt-ac68u then I will continue using those 3 routers.

Based on your sketch i though it was a huge house, so im quite puzzled in here why you need 3 routers/ap on a "quite small" house, i can't understand that.

How you have all those dead spots in it then?

Can you define what you mean by "quite small" house? I bet its bigger than mine. kkkk :)

I have a considered BIG house and i only use one router in the entire house, no dead spots at all, and let me say the router is not in a perfect spot also, in fact its outside the house, not a good comparison since i use an outside external antenna, but i have also installed routers in several places and its only needed a 2 devices when its a HUGE house, not a "quite small" one, please clarify me on this because im quite curious about it now. :)

In a "quite small" house you don't really need to be worried about the router position (even it's always better obviously) because it will cover the entire house, something doesn't sounds right on this to me, maybe the problem in there is the walls material.

UPDATE: Understood now, you are using 5GHZ band, not 2.4GHZ, thats why. :)

Last edited:
I think I might have a typo, I don't live in a house but I live in a 1 level apartment of 127 square meter / 1367 square foot. The walls are all thick concrete.
On 2.4ghz, most of the areas I can get signal. But on 5 ghz the signals are terrible to no signal at all.

After looking at how my lan points are done which I did my self[its not professionally done], Room 1 would still be the easiest location for me to place a router because the main fiber point is installed there by my isp. Its hard to explain why but if I were to only use one router and place it in the living room, I would still need another 2 router to act as a switch to connect and extend.

Based on your sketch i though it was a huge house, so im quite puzzled in here why you need 3 routers/ap on a "quite small" house, i can't understand that.

How you have all those dead spots in it then?

Can you define what you mean by "quite small" house? I bet its bigger than mine. kkkk :)

I have a considered BIG house and i only use one router in the entire house, no dead spots at all, and let me say the router is not in a perfect spot also, in fact its outside the house, not a good comparison since i use an outside external antenna, but i have also installed routers in several places and its only needed a 2 devices when its a HUGE house, not a "quite small" one, please clarify me on this because im quite curious about it now. :)

In a "quite small" house you don't really need to be worried about the router position (even it's always better obviously) because it will cover the entire house, something doesn't sounds right on this to me, maybe the problem in there is the walls material.

UPDATE: Understood now, you are using 5GHZ band, not 2.4GHZ, thats why. :)

Gotcha, so i guess all is fine in there, 5GHZ band doesnt have a such great coverage compared to 2.4GHZ.

Gotcha, so i guess all is fine in there, 5GHZ band doesnt have a such great coverage compared to 2.4GHZ.

Haha ya, that's why I was wondering if anything has improved since then. I am using 1gbps fiber plan, if i dont use the 5ghz bandwith [most of my devices do support wireless ac] if would be a waste.

Yes thats understandable, but there's nothing you can do about it, 5GHZ has a very limited range compared to 2.4GHZ or even 900MHZ (outstanding range/coverage).

One other thing to keep in mind, it's a two-way communications system, so the clients are just as important as the router. If the AP can't hear the signal from the client you're no further ahead.

By the way how does smart connect work? I did some reading. From what I understand, only one ssid is used where it combines both 2.4ghz and 5ghz. The router will then auto allocate the appropriate bandwidth to your clients depending their needs.

I am curious to know if let's say my phone supports wireless ac. When I am near to the router connected with smart connect enabled, it would be under 5ghz bandwidth right? But if I move too far away from the router , will it auto allocate 2.4ghz bandwidth to my phone because the 5ghz range was getting too weak?

By the way how does smart connect work? I did some reading. From what I understand, only one ssid is used where it combines both 2.4ghz and 5ghz. The router will then auto allocate the appropriate bandwidth to your clients depending their needs.

I am curious to know if let's say my phone supports wireless ac. When I am near to the router connected with smart connect enabled, it would be under 5ghz bandwidth right? But if I move too far away from the router , will it auto allocate 2.4ghz bandwidth to my phone because the 5ghz range was getting too weak?

By most accounts, it doesn't. ;)

But your description is what is supposed to happen.

In this case i would consider using a pair of cheepo 2.4Ghz yagi's from DX and just disable 5Ghz. it wil limit your network to about 100mbits per device but that should be fairly enough for a cell or laptop.

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!