What's new

New RT-AC66U_B1 in repeater mode drops out

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

oldserverguy

Occasional Visitor
Have a brand new RT-AC66U_B1 flashed to the latest ASUS stock firmware 3.0.0.4.385_20632. Things looked good when I set this up on 7/29/2020 but I've now twice had my Blink camera sync module report that it was off-line for 30 minutes. This never happened before when it was attached to a different wireless network in another IP address range. I'm just starting the troubleshooting process as both times I wasn't in my office to do determine the cause.

Before I spend time trying to determine the problem source (Wifi going down, can't see head end router, etc.) has this happened to you? If so, what was the resolution? Hints on T/S process?

I ran one of my Win 10 laptops all night with this batch file:

:john
ECHO ************* >>pinger.txt
time /T >>pinger.txt
ping N1.N2.N3.N4 >>pinger.txt
ping N1.N2.N3.N5 >>pinger.txt
timeout 600
goto :john

This was about when it failed - note that most of the pings didn't have any failures:
04:47 PM

Pinging N1.N2.N3.N4 with 32 bytes of data:
Reply from N1.N2.N3.N4: bytes=32 time=46ms TTL=64
Reply from N1.N2.N3.N4: bytes=32 time=28ms TTL=64
Reply from N1.N2.N3.N4: bytes=32 time=8ms TTL=64
Reply from N1.N2.N3.N4: bytes=32 time=14ms TTL=64

Ping statistics for N1.N2.N3.N4:
Packets: Sent = 4, Received = 4, Lost = 0 (0% loss),
Approximate round trip times in milli-seconds:
Minimum = 8ms, Maximum = 46ms, Average = 24ms

Pinging N1.N2.N3.N5 with 32 bytes of data:
Reply from N1.N2.N3.N5: bytes=32 time=37ms TTL=64
Request timed out.
Reply from N1.N2.N3.N5: bytes=32 time=3ms TTL=64
Reply from N1.N2.N3.N5: bytes=32 time=1ms TTL=64

Ping statistics for N1.N2.N3.N5:
Packets: Sent = 4, Received = 3, Lost = 1 (25% loss),
Approximate round trip times in milli-seconds:
Minimum = 1ms, Maximum = 37ms, Average = 13ms

There were a few pings in excess of 100ms during the night but I'm not particularly concerned about them.

.N1 is the headend router and .N5 is the repeater. Based on this I'm ruling the "Route 66" hardware out as the problem cause. I am using Quad9 DNS in the router and Blink is owned by Amazon. Maybe there's a conflict. A deeper dive is going to be required - I'll start by exchanging sync modules around and review what happens.

After more work when I change to DNS on the 66 back to Google (8.8 etal) with the old sync module all went well. There are some articles that Blink has hard code to Google servers in their products.

I consider this closed.

Well - I thought this was closed but now I'm seeing more situations.
1) Toshiba (Midea) A/C unit was disconnected from the router that it's 5 feet from - the connect LED was out when I turned it on manually and sometimes the LED is now out and then back on
2) ping with -t to the router IP from a laptop that's 5 feet away - losing about 2% of the packets, a number of them well over 100 ms with the worst being 846 ms
3) there are some other funny things from when I exported the client list:
every device shows as a static IP (they're not) and 2 of my blink cameras show as "Wired" which they are definitely not

I'm not using the GPL firmware but rather standard firmware. Should I convert to the GPL?

Should I "throw in the towel" and convert to Merlin (same firmware as the RT-AC68U) ? Return it and get another one? Thoughts?

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!