What's new

Thoughts on Merlin for my RT-AC66U_B1 as a fix for my wireless problems

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

oldserverguy

Occasional Visitor
I have a new RT-AC66U_B1 with the latest ASUS firmware 3.0.0.4.385_20632. I'm running it in repeater mode but I'm having strange problems with some wireless devices. The connect function on my Toshiba/Midea A/C unit is intermittent. The Blink sync module was intermittent and now it won't reattach to the network even after a power cycle. Pings to 8.8.8.8 from an ethernet connected laptop are OK but there are some lost pings and an occasional high value. Google speed test shows a full speed up and download.

Would switching to Merlin (384.18) likely help? I already use it with an RT-AC86U and it's great.

Highly unlikely. The wifi code is closed source, and therefore identical.

Try setting "Protected Management Frames" to Disable if it's any other setting.

You might try AiMesh with wired backhaul. Should work better than repeater. I have tested my AC66U_B1 as a mesh node with my AC86U. Worked quite well. Tested with Merlin and Asus firmware. Wifi and wired.

About a hour ago the router died (3 weeks old). Even a wired connection wouldn't work. Returned it via the UPS store method. Will order another AC66U_B1 today unless there's a better cost-effective solution.

Wired back haul isn't viable as this is in a separate adjacent building with concrete between them and no easy way to run a cable. Wanted to stick with repeater so I can put my old DD-WRT router back into service if needed. No experience with AiMesh so I'll skip that.

Oh well - stuff happens. Hope this failure was a one off. My other 2 ASUS routers have been in service for over a year without any problems.