What's new

New RT-AC68R VS AC68P

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

TFNG2015

Occasional Visitor
The new guy here. Just purchased a 68R. I'm a woodworker so I threw together a "cradle" to mount from ceiling. Not vertical. Face down with base in cradle approximately a 25 degree angle upward towards ceiling. Top of router (antennas) is approximately 8 inches from ceiling. In hallway, center of home. No problems, other than self inflicted as of yet. Updated Firmware to RT-AC68U_3.0.0.4_374.43_2-10j9527.trx.

CPU temp is running 92 c. Searching these forums I see a lot saying this is too high. However, I have seen several saying acceptable. Here's my issue. 3 days left to return for exchange. Is this an acceptable temp? If not, should I return for same, or do the 68P? If I should do the latter, will this firmware work on the 68P as well. Seems to be the same from what I see. Just trying to verify from this intelligent crowd.

Sorry if this is a repeat. New to this whole thing and hitting snb has become my new school, hobby and relaxation after a days work.

Enclosing pic of router mounting. Should have plenty of air circulation. Temp just seems high from what I would expect. No knowledge and reading makes for a concerned individual. Don't laugh too loud, not finished yet and a rush job.

Thanks to all.

Attachments

• unnamed.jpg
    unnamed.jpg
    22.8 KB · Views: 562
Roughly 24c. Yes, I assume that would be idle. Came in from work and logged on just to see. No other activity other than idle connections.

Possibly the updated firmware, mounting position, or possibly the unit itself?
I think that mounting position is just going to trap the heat right above the unit...did you try running it in 'normal-unmounted' position to see what the temps are like?

Have not at the moment. Plan on that tomorrow evening. After updating to this firmware and resetting, temp reading was 64. Updated yesterday evening. Logged in this evening and noticed the 92c reading. Was unable to see temp prior to the update, so I really have nothing to compare to. I have a feeling the position is the culprit. Will revise cradle in shop tomorrow to allow vertical in same location. Hopefully this will solve it.

I think that mounting position is just going to trap the heat right above the unit...did you try running it in 'normal-unmounted' position to see what the temps are like?
Thanks Sir. I believe that has solved it. Changed the mounting, vertical and about 18 inches off ceiling. Still in center of hall. With several devices browsing, and a laptop streaming 1080p video, and me playing with some settings on it, it's hanging at 87 C at the moment. Doesn't seem to be rising. I'm sure this is the wrong place for this, however would be most appreciated if you could direct me to some information. Such as selecting channels. Doesn't seem to have the same output since I updated firmware. I've played a bit with it and seem to have gotten it better. As I say, I am completely TFNG. (the flipping new guy) all the way around. Thanks again.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!