What's new

New small business setup

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

oachalon

New Around Here
Hello everyone,

This is my first post on here, but seeing if you guys can help. The company i work for, has purchased a new building. Approximately 50k sqft. 35k warehouse 15k offices. I just had all new Cat 6 wiring completed (42 dual drops 1 for data, 1 for voice). It is now time for me to get new routers, switches, repeaters, etc. I was looking to start with that cisco RV220W router and then go from there. We are about 22-25 employees. I do not think we need managed switches. My list so far is:

Cisco RV220W
Cisco 48 port SG200-50P switch
Multiple Cisco WAP4410N wireless access points
Possibly another switch for expansion and also small switches in various rooms when people need to hook up a lot

We are not running major things:
Windows SBS for running exchange, emails, and storing files.
an offsite backup computer(Datto)
Server for data entry
Barracuda for email spam

We dont ever use VPN. People mostly just get emails on their cellphones when away from the office or remote login using the SBS.

Like i said basic stuff. Only major things i need to do is block facebook.

Im hoping to get feedback from you guys and see what you think, and whether or not this is a good option?

Don't use any WiFi in a business setting, for employee desktop PCs.
No debate.

Use WiFi with special routing so WiFi users have strong LDAP or RADIUS authentication, and also may be restricted to only the Internet, or some particular server. Maybe only to your remote access server, same one used for terminating incoming VPNs.

Visitors' WiFi would route ONLY to the Internet, and they too would need a WiFi access password.

Of course, all WiFi would be WPA.

Consider using WebSense.

For light use, that wireless setup would be fine for the mobile users. If you are running any heavier apps or doing file transfers of large files, depending on how many mobile users you have across the site, might want to consider upgrading to something more robust. My experience with "home" and the lower end of "small business" wireless units (and routers for that matter)..they crumble under heavier steady loads. The only time I've had success with budget wireless, was in reflashing units with DD-WRT or Tomato (3rd party firmware). Else...I really like HPs ProCurve wireless gear, and their centrally managed thin APs. Rock solid..and can handle heavy duty network applications without crumbling.

To be honest I haven't had the best luck with the Linksys switches (which is what the "cisco" small business series is). For just a couple of bucks more...a nice HP ProCurve...set it up, plug it in...never have to reboot it again. Throw any load you want at it...it will run like a top.

We've done hundreds of the RV0 models....and have liked them, but lately we've been focusing more on "UTM" appliance routers at the edge of our business network clients, instead of plain NAT routers. Controlling employee abuse of the internet, and importantly..the additional antivirus and antispyware protection...has really shown to be effective and helpful and well...very well worth the effort and slight increase in expense of using a UTM.

Employees computers will not be on WiFi. All computers, servers, and printers will be hard wired through brand new Cat 6 wiriring. Only thing on WiFI will be:

Visitors
Tablets (Ipads and Xooms)
Cell phones
Some of the sales peoples laptops.
Barcode readers in warehouse.

Am i heading in the right direction, should i stay away from cisco, etc. What are your guys opinion of the RV220W router? Should i go a different way?

So the sales peeps laptops, and the barcode readers..they'll need to touch your server I'm assuming? I'll assume so, thus you'll want a wireless setup that allows multiple SSIDs and I'd want client isolation feature too for the "guests".

Or...purchase additional APs...run some APs with shop SSID, and some APs with a guest SSID....and handle the separate upstream at your main switch via VLAN ports on your switch.

I don't have experience with the RV220 unit. I've not had a good experience with the earlier Linksys small business wireless products in the past (mostly wrv series), however...I have had a long running good experience with the "RV0" series of wired units. Perhaps the RV220 will turn out to be a solid unit.

Hard to picture what you'll need without getting a better picture of your layout..and picturing distance, coverage, etc. Your need for having 2 SSIDs...separated, what area the guest network may need to cover (most likely just a small office area)...perhaps an RV220 will work for that. And then run a wire to an AP or more out back in the warehouse area to blanket that.

Thanks for the info. I also had issues with the old linksys wrv series routers, but i figured i might give them a try again.

You are correct, laptops and barcode readers will need to touch the server.

We are trying to have wireless in the whole building. I understand layout is everything, but on average how much area does a AP cover?