1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
Dismiss Notice

Welcome To SNBForums

SNBForums is a community for anyone who wants to learn about or discuss the latest in wireless routers, network storage and the ins and outs of building and maintaining a small network.

If you'd like to post a question, simply register and have at it!

While you're at it, please check out SmallNetBuilder for product reviews and our famous Router Charts, Ranker and plenty more!

New Test Equipment - USB Digital Meter

Discussion in 'Other Discussions' started by CaptainSTX, Nov 18, 2019.

Tags:
  1. CaptainSTX

CaptainSTX Part of the Furniture

Ran across an inexpensive piece of test equipment to use in testing USB ports and chargers.

It is from Klein Tools and I paid US $16.95 for it. Stock Number ET900.

It digitally displays;

DC Voltage
    DC Current
    Capacity/Charge delivered (mAh)
    Energy Delivered (Wh)
    Resistance
    Elapsed Time

It has 10 memory locations.

You install it in series between your power source and a device

To me it will be useful in testing USB ports to determine if it provides enough power to run an auxiliary device and testing USB chargers to see if they are working and if they supply enough AMPs to charge the connected device's battery.

2. ColinTaylor

ColinTaylor Part of the Furniture

I've got one of these in "dongle" form, i.e. without the flying lead. They're quite useful.

There are countless suppliers of these devices that are all just repackaging the same Chinese circuit board. So if you don't want to pay for the Klein brand name you can get the same thing even cheaper.

faria likes this.
  3. faria

faria Regular Contributor

I l also have one for over a year (model UM24c cost £11) , mine has Bluetooth and android app plus windows app.
    They are great for tinkers and to diagnose all kinds of usb power problems.
    https://photos.app.goo.gl/kxK7FM8xPgefxtZw6
    [​IMG]

4. CaptainSTX

I have gone through my drawer of USB chargers and eliminated the ones that are marginal low AMP output devices. Some of them don't put out enough power to fully charge a Tablet.

faria likes this.
  5. faria

faria Regular Contributor

also you can check if the usb cable supports fast charging, QC2/3 Samsung fast charge etc.
    found 2 of them that claimed too, but did not.

6. CaptainSTX

It is a very useful gadget. Well worth the nominal price. That is the reason I opened a thread to mention it.

7. dosborne

dosborne Senior Member

I've had a number in my tool box for about 5 years. Easy to find online sub-$10 for a basic one.