What's new

New Test Equipment - USB Digital Meter

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

CaptainSTX

Part of the Furniture
Ran across an inexpensive piece of test equipment to use in testing USB ports and chargers.

It is from Klein Tools and I paid US $16.95 for it. Stock Number ET900.

It digitally displays;

DC Voltage
DC Current
Capacity/Charge delivered (mAh)
Energy Delivered (Wh)
Resistance
Elapsed Time

It has 10 memory locations.

You install it in series between your power source and a device

To me it will be useful in testing USB ports to determine if it provides enough power to run an auxiliary device and testing USB chargers to see if they are working and if they supply enough AMPs to charge the connected device's battery.

I've got one of these in "dongle" form, i.e. without the flying lead. They're quite useful.

There are countless suppliers of these devices that are all just repackaging the same Chinese circuit board. So if you don't want to pay for the Klein brand name you can get the same thing even cheaper.

I l also have one for over a year (model UM24c cost £11) , mine has Bluetooth and android app plus windows app.
They are great for tinkers and to diagnose all kinds of usb power problems.
https://photos.app.goo.gl/kxK7FM8xPgefxtZw6

I have gone through my drawer of USB chargers and eliminated the ones that are marginal low AMP output devices. Some of them don't put out enough power to fully charge a Tablet.

I have gone through my drawer of USB chargers and eliminated the ones that are marginal low AMP output devices. Some of them don't put out enough power to fully charge a Tablet.
also you can check if the usb cable supports fast charging, QC2/3 Samsung fast charge etc.
found 2 of them that claimed too, but did not.

It is a very useful gadget. Well worth the nominal price. That is the reason I opened a thread to mention it.

I've had a number in my tool box for about 5 years. Easy to find online sub-$10 for a basic one.