What's new

New wireless router for under £150 ($180)

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

5GHz WiFi is not line of sight only, the signal does travel through obstacles. I personally had an RT-AC86U router before and my backup router now is C2300. In my place both can reach 2 rooms away from the router (>10m distance) through 2 walls on the way (1 concrete + 1 drywall), in both 2.4GHz and 5GHz bands. Routers based on BCM4365(6)E radios currently offer one of the best AC WiFi performance. Again, if one of those can't do the job, then you definitely need more than one APs. The best WiFi coverage AC router is probably Netgear R7800, but it's above your budget and it's just a bit better then similar class products, not like "Wow!" of a difference.

RT-AC86U has more frequent firmware updates compared to Archer C2300, the firmware offers more options, it's the more popular router. This forum offers great community support for it. The reliability rating is not as good as previous ASUS routers, but it's covered by ASUS warranty. There is an still unresolved intermittent software reboot bug, but simple rower cycling the power button is all that's needed. It happens rarely, you may not even see it, some people don't even know about it. Just avoid remote updating/rebooting of this router. Get one from Amazon (it's currently on sale), see what it can do in your place, if it doesn't work as expected send it back.
Thanks, yes regarding the reliability of it. Just reading the amazon reviews (UK) there's quite a few that say it had very bad signal and kept losing 2.4ghz network resulting in sending it back and looking for something else.

Go with Netgear R7800 then. It's not much more expensive actually, I see it available on Amazon UK for £163.

Go with Netgear R7800 then. It's not much more expensive actually, I see it available on Amazon UK for £163.
I actually think I might go for the Ac86u due to it having 2 years warranty instead of 1 with netgear. Just wait for it come on offer now. Hope they changed a hardware revision or something since it first launched.

I see it on Amazon UK for £160 ($200) as we speak, regular £200 (they say). Good luck and stay safe!

I see it on Amazon UK for £160 ($200) as we speak, regular £200 (they say). Good luck and stay safe!
Thanks. I looked on a website I use for deals and it's been on offer a few times for around £130-£140, the last time being in March. I will give it a go and see how it is. I've heard good things about the QOS.

If I get it I will report back and probably be asking about settings for it. Just a quick one though, do you think it's best to use the auto band switch or have two separate ssid?

Just a quick one though, do you think it's best to use the auto band switch or have two separate ssid?

I personally always set separate SSIDs for 2.4GHz and 5GHz bands with fixed channels. I don't have a good experience with so called Smart Connect thing. Not very Smart and not the best Connect. In my understanding it's there to make things Easy for non-technical users.

Thanks. I looked on a website I use for deals and it's been on offer a few times for around £130-£140, the last time being in March. I will give it a go and see how it is. I've heard good things about the QOS.

If I get it I will report back and probably be asking about settings for it. Just a quick one though, do you think it's best to use the auto band switch or have two separate ssid?

I'm from the UK and run 2x ac86u's and 1x ac68u (big house).

You can pick em up second hand for around 100 on eBay (make sure mfg year 2019 onwards) or amazon for 150gbp.

Check my signature for settings and do not use smart connect, causes way more problems than it solves.

Chuck your slower, older devices that dont require as high speed on 2.4ghz and newer devices on 5ghz.

Job done, move on to more interesting things!

You can pick em up second hand for around 100 on eBay

Not recommended for this specific model. There are many offered as used and re-manufactured with all kind of issues. New only and from a reputable seller with full ASUS warranty, otherwise I wouldn't recommend this model at all. For the same price I would get Netgear R7800, actually.

Not recommended for this specific model. There are many offered as used and re-manufactured with all kind of issues. New only and from a reputable seller with full ASUS warranty, otherwise I wouldn't recommend this model at all. For the same price I would get Netgear R7800, actually.

I have two used ac86u's bought second hand by people that had opened but couldn't return and no issues after two months.

Made sure to get receipts and MFG 2019 models.

I'd heard most of the issues were with 2018 models.

I'd heard most of the issues were with 2018 models.

I avoid to repeat someone else's beliefs in my recommendations. There is only a hope ASUS fixed something, switched components suppliers, optimized production process, does better quality control, etc. We'll find out if 2019/2020 production routers are more reliable in 2021/2022. This is why a full 2-year warranty is important for this specific product. I also hope they fixed something because RT-AC86U is still probably the best price/performance ratio ASUS product with Asuswrt-Merlin firmware support.

I avoid to repeat someone else's beliefs in my recommendations. There is only a hope ASUS fixed something, switched components suppliers, optimized production process, does better quality control, etc. We'll find out if 2019/2020 production routers are more reliable in 2021/2022. This is why a full 2-year warranty is important for this specific product. I also hope they fixed something because RT-AC86U is still probably the best price/performance ratio ASUS product with Asuswrt-Merlin firmware support.

I’m inclined to believe they did do something as issues were showing up left right and centre straight after being bought at retail.

mid I remember correctly there was no year gap between complaints about issues it all started pretty immediately.

But yeah, if def is one the best routers on the market for its money, providing it works longer than a month

I'm from the UK and run 2x ac86u's and 1x ac68u (big house).

You can pick em up second hand for around 100 on eBay (make sure mfg year 2019 onwards) or amazon for 150gbp.

Check my signature for settings and do not use smart connect, causes way more problems than it solves.

Chuck your slower, older devices that dont require as high speed on 2.4ghz and newer devices on 5ghz.

Job done, move on to more interesting things!
More interesting things?! What's more interesting that networks and WiFi tech haha