What's new

Newb Learning: RT-AC86U for VPN Usage for my new set up?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

jnash

New Around Here
Hi All,

Have just purchased a RT-AC86U router, i have just returned a N66u as when connected to ExpressVPN i was getting speeds for 4MB! - my naked download is around 200mb (Virgin / Superhub 2)

In the next week i will also be getting a 350mb boost along with a shiny new superhub 3 .

Questions are ,

Will the detailed post at the top of this forum be all i need to get the best results possible.
Will the CPU increase of the RT-AC86 be better to deal with the vpn than the n66u
Is there anything else i can do help the performance when using the VPn client function on the router (i intend to install merlin)
Is the RT-AC68u, the right choice still as im not sure how old it is.?
Is it worth trying out another VPN provider to check for better speeds?

sorry!!!

Thank you in advance.

In the next week i will also be getting a 350mb boost along with a shiny new superhub 3 .
Then you'd better start praying it has the most recent firmware to reduce the effects of the Puma 6 chipset bug.:eek:

Will the CPU increase of the RT-AC86 be better to deal with the vpn than the n66u
Yes, massively so. Not only is the CPU much faster but it also has hardware encryption which makes it faster still.

Is the RT-AC68u, the right choice still as im not sure how old it is.?
RT-AC68U? Not sure what you're referring to. Whilst the RT-AC68U is much faster than the RT-N66U, it's nowhere near as fast as the RT-AC86U.

Is it worth trying out another VPN provider to check for better speeds?
Definitely, but try and find some reviews beforehand to understand what speed are possible.

Then you'd better start praying it has the most recent firmware to reduce the effects of the Puma 6 chipset bug.:eek:

Yes, massively so. Not only is the CPU much faster but it also has hardware encryption which makes it faster still.

RT-AC68U? Not sure what you're referring to. Whilst the RT-AC68U is much faster than the RT-N66U, it's nowhere near as fast as the RT-AC86U.

Definitely, but try and find some reviews beforehand to understand what speed are possible.

Sorry, typo , AC68U = AC86U

Thank you for your quick response. !

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!