What's new

Newbie: Should I Use 5 GHZ-2 Band (ZenWifi AX6600 XT8)? For what?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Lanoon

New Around Here
Newbie here, self-educated but no IT background: For my GIG Fiber home, I just replaced Century Link's freebie 3000 router with ZenWifi AX6600 XT8 (2 units connected by ethernet). I setup SmartConnect with a single SSID for both the 2.4 and 5-1 bands.

1. I was thinking it would be desirable to have only my ethernet as a wired backhaul, so I did create and unhide a 5 GHz-2 band. So far I've not connected any clients. But the more I read, I'm concerned that all this did is limit channels available to clients on 5 GHz-1? (saw info on dongknows.com / asus-aimesh-overview /) Maybe, not a good idea?

Can anyone help me by simply explaining, the pros and cons of creating a separate 5 GHz-2 band. (I am not a gamer, but am managing 50 clients including Alexa, Sonos, Phillips Hue, Lutron, etc.)

2. my 2 Ring Pro's connections are the only problematic devices so far; they are decidely not stable, connected by 5.1. Some reading says put them on a Guest Network?

Thanks for any help, insight!

Newbie here, self-educated but no IT background: For my GIG Fiber home, I just replaced Century Link's freebie 3000 router with ZenWifi AX6600 XT8 (2 units connected by ethernet). I setup SmartConnect with a single SSID for both the 2.4 and 5-1 bands.

1. I was thinking it would be desirable to have only my ethernet as a wired backhaul, so I did create and unhide a 5 GHz-2 band. So far I've not connected any clients. But the more I read, I'm concerned that all this did is limit channels available to clients on 5 GHz-1? (saw info on dongknows.com / asus-aimesh-overview /) Maybe, not a good idea?

Can anyone help me by simply explaining, the pros and cons of creating a separate 5 GHz-2 band. (I am not a gamer, but am managing 50 clients including Alexa, Sonos, Phillips Hue, Lutron, etc.)

2. my 2 Ring Pro's connections are the only problematic devices so far; they are decidely not stable, connected by 5.1. Some reading says put them on a Guest Network?

Thanks for any help, insight!

Frankly, play with it... experiment and learn what makes sense for your clients.

Each radio has a signal that has a control channel and extension channels as required for the set bandwidth. Auto channels can change; fixed channels don't. I prefer using fixed, least congested, non-DFS channels to have the most stable connections. Use a WiFi Analyzer app so you can see what is happening around you.

Use Smart Connect band steering with same SSIDs; or try different SSIDs if you want to segment your clients or otherwise need to manage their connection.

1614645832831.png

Avoid using 160 MHz since it requires DFS channels that can force channel changes automatically, disrupting client connections.

Don't bother hiding SSIDs.

OE

Frankly, play with it... experiment and learn what makes sense for your clients.

Each radio has a signal that has a control channel and extension channels as required for the set bandwidth. Auto channels can change; fixed channels don't. I prefer using fixed, least congested, non-DFS channels to have the most stable connections. Use a WiFi Analyzer app so you can see what is happening around you.

Use Smart Connect band steering with same SSIDs; or try different SSIDs if you want to segment your clients or otherwise need to manage their connection.

View attachment 31426
Avoid using 160 MHz since it requires DFS channels that can force channel changes automatically, disrupting client connections.

Don't bother hiding SSIDs.

OE
Thanks!

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!