What's new

NextDNS error: "This device is using NextDNS with no configuration. Make sure you use the DNS-over-HTTPS endpoint shown below."

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

ithryn

New Around Here
I've installed NextDNS on my ASUS-AC88U running Merlin using the instructions @Olivier Poitrey linked. On the first day of install, the NextDNS status page for all my devices said I was using NextDNS under my configuration and all seemed well. Now, it gives me this error:

This device is using NextDNS with no configuration.
Make sure you use the DNS-over-HTTPS endpoint shown below.

I see nowhere to put the DNS-over-HTTPS endpoint in the router's interface! Plus I think it is trying to make me configure an individual device to use NextDNS. I thought I could do this at the router level.

Merlin has the option to set DNS-over-TLS, but the Setup page on NextDNS only gives me the link name, not the IP and SPKI fingerprint which I evidently need.

If I try to manually set the DNS addresses, I see they are already set to NextDNS's addresses.

My IP is also linked.

Attachments

• Screenshot from 2020-12-07 18-41-12.png
    Screenshot from 2020-12-07 18-41-12.png
    52.8 KB · Views: 448
  • Screenshot from 2020-12-07 18-42-58.png
    Screenshot from 2020-12-07 18-42-58.png
    30.8 KB · Views: 415
You would enter the DoT hostname linked to your configuration, e.g. a12345.dns.nextdns.io. Follow the Router / Stubby setup instructions on my.nextdns.io if not using the nextdns Linux app.

I actually solved this - I forgot that I initially installed NextDNS on my Linux desktop, then also installed it to my router. Apparently the two had conflicting configs/profiles so apparently NextDNS just defaults to no configuration on that particular device.

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!