What's new

Nexus 7 FHD "Authentication Problem" after replacing router

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Dan SG

Occasional Visitor
My goal: Wifi fast and interference resistant enough for smooth operation of Xbox 360 Windows Media Center Extender in HD without crawling under the house to run ethernet.

Latest idea: Setup my existing Linksys E3000 running TomatoRAF as a 5GHz ethernet bridge to the Xbox, Blu-Ray player, etc, and replace it with a RT-AC56R running Merlin as my primary router.

So far, so good. I'm loving Merlin, except my Nexus 7 FHD running lollipop refuses to connect to it. Using the same SSIDs and keys as the E3000 allowed everything else to automatically connect to the RT-AC56. After reading http://www.snbforums.com/threads/an...pdate-to-rt-ac66u_3-0-0-4_378-50_beta2.22538/ I tried renaming my regular 2.4 connection and setting up a guest network using the same problematic settings, which of course worked. I have since removed the guest network and returned the regular 2.4 connection to the previous settings. Unlike Schnaaa, I can rule out typos because I copy and pasted the key into both the regular connection and guest connection.

Any thoughts?

Check logcat for more information about your problem.
http://developer.android.com/tools/help/logcat.html
Logcat will very likely tell you exactly what your problem is.
You could also check "dmesg" on the Nexus via adb shell, but you may need root privileges to run dmesg.

You could also probably check the router's logs.

Without resorting to reading logs, we will just be guessing. When I start changing configs without having a clear goal, I usually make things worse.

Any thoughts?
Did you try to disable "beamforming" on the router Wireless / Professional page? It's a common problem that many devices are not working well when it's enabled. :eek:

I may try logcat at some point. It is at the limits of my android knowledge. I tried disabling beamforming and it made no difference, probably because I'm using the 2.4 band. Is there any potential downside to leaving a guest network setup for just the Nexus?

I also tried using the E3000 as a 5ghz ethernet bridge, and my Obihai box loves it, but Media Center takes tens of seconds to respond to keypresses and sometimes disconnects, despite 720p video streaming just fine when I manage to get it started. I've spent so much trying and failing to get a good signal across all of about 25 feet that my landlord has finally taken pity on me and is allowing me to run a cable.

Last edited:
Seems my troubleshooting skills aren't what they used to be, because before this I tried using the E3000 as my router and a WES610n media bridge and I would get a regular, momentary bandwidth drop every minute or two. I concluded that the WES610n was faulty. Just for the heck of it I tried using it with the RT-AC56R and BINGO! My limited testing thus far has maxed out Media Center's bandwidth graph without a single hiccup.

Last edited:
The Nexus 7 FHD 5.1.1 just updated itself to 6.0.0 and resolved the connection issue to the RT-AC56R. So both issues I had with my upgrade to Merlin and the RT-AC56R have been resolved, and neither were the fault of Merlin.