What's new

NFS client on 384.9

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

@nbdwt73 Did you find anything in the logs?
I did not find anything in the logs of interest. What I did though was to take an RT-AC68U that i had replaced with the 86U and updated the firmware to the latest (same as the 86U). The setups are now identical. What I found was that the 68U will mount perfectly while the 86U will not. All firewalls off, AIProtection off...

Thank you for all of your help... I suspect it has something to do with NFSV4...

Have you tried to remove colon after 192.168.100.110?
I did try without the colon...
mount -t nfs -o nolock 192.168.100.110/mnt/net_backups/VPN/Backup/QB /mnt/QB
mount: mounting 192.168.100.110/mnt/net_backups/VPN/Backup/QB on /mnt/QB failed: No such device

@nbdwt73 If you haven't done this already, go to USB Application > NFS Exports on the router and turn on "Enable NFSD".

You don't need (or want) any directories listed at the bottom of this page.

If you still get the same error could you post the output from this command issued on your router:

ps w | grep -E "rpc|nfs|port|lockd|statd|mountd"

Last edited:
@nbdwt73 If you haven't done this already, go to USB Application > NFS Exports on the router and turn on "Enable NFSD".

You don't need (or want) any directories listed at the bottom of this page.

If you still get the same error could you post the output from this command issued on your router:

ps w | grep -E "rpc|nfs|port|lockd|statd|mountd"
I have tried with NFS enabled. Output:
24 Moncure 0 SW< [kblockd]
6549 nobody 1836 S /usr/sbin/portmap
6618 Moncure 0 SW< [rpciod]
6626 Moncure 1884 S /usr/sbin/statd
6629 Moncure 0 SW [lockd]
6630 Moncure 0 SW [nfsd]
6631 Moncure 0 SW [nfsd]
6632 Moncure 0 SW [nfsd]
6633 Moncure 0 SW [nfsd]
6634 Moncure 0 SW [nfsd]
6635 Moncure 0 SW [nfsd]
6636 Moncure 0 SW [nfsd]
6637 Moncure 0 SW [nfsd]
6639 Moncure 2044 S /usr/sbin/mountd -N 2

One thing I did discover on the 86U the error is different with AIProtection enabled than without.

With:
mount -t nfs -o nolock,vers=3 192.168.100.110:/test /mnt/QB
pmap_getmaps.c: rpc problem: RPC: Unable to receive; errno = Connection timed out
mount: RPC: Remote system error - Connection refused
mount: mounting 192.168.100.110:/test on /mnt/QB failed: Bad file descriptor

Without:
mount: mounting 192.168.100.110:/test on /mnt/QB failed: No such device

It works fine on the 68U...

Last edited:
One thing I did discover on the 86U the error is different with AIProtection enabled than without.

With:
pmap_getmaps.c: rpc problem: RPC: Unable to receive; errno = Connection timed out
mount: mounting 192.168.100.110:/test on /mnt/QB failed: Bad file descriptor

Without:

It works fine on the 68U...
OK that's an interesting discovery. So it sounds like you may have discovered the source of your initial problem (AiProtection) but may have discovered another.
Code:
Without:
This to me looks like the firmware has been built without the NFS client filesystem support. Unfortunately this is not my area of knowledge. Could you post the output of the following command:

find / -name '*ko' | grep fs

I notice that this section of config_base.6a on HND doesn't have the NFS client filesystem modules listed where this file does. I might be barking up the wrong tree here so maybe @RMerlin or @john9527 could comment on that.

Side note: I noticed with my router I had to enable NFSD on the router otherwise I was unable to mount NFS shares at all.

OK that's an interesting discovery. So it sounds like you may have discovered the source of your initial problem (AiProtection) but may have discovered another.
Code:
Without:
This to me looks like the firmware has been built without the NFS client filesystem support. Unfortunately this is not my area of knowledge. Could you post the output of the following command:

I notice that this section of config_base.6a on HND doesn't have the NFS client filesystem modules listed where this file does. I might be barking up the wrong tree here so maybe @RMerlin or @john9527 could comment on that.

Side note: I noticed with my router I had to enable NFSD on the router otherwise I was unable to mount NFS shares at all.
Based on my limited knowledge and research I came to the same conclusion. As you see earlier in this thread, I had also tried the NFS enable several days ago with no luck.

find / -name '*ko' | grep fs:
/lib/modules/4.1.27/kernel/fs/nls/nls_cp437.ko
/lib/modules/4.1.27/kernel/fs/nls/nls_cp850.ko
/lib/modules/4.1.27/kernel/fs/nls/nls_cp852.ko
/lib/modules/4.1.27/kernel/fs/nls/nls_cp866.ko
/lib/modules/4.1.27/kernel/fs/nls/nls_cp932.ko
/lib/modules/4.1.27/kernel/fs/nls/nls_cp936.ko
/lib/modules/4.1.27/kernel/fs/nls/nls_cp949.ko
/lib/modules/4.1.27/kernel/fs/nls/nls_cp950.ko
/lib/modules/4.1.27/kernel/fs/nls/nls_euc-jp.ko
/lib/modules/4.1.27/kernel/fs/cifs/cifs.ko
/lib/modules/4.1.27/kernel/fs/fuse/cuse.ko
/lib/modules/4.1.27/kernel/fs/nfsd/nfsd.ko
/lib/modules/4.1.27/kernel/fs/fscache/fscache.ko
/lib/modules/4.1.27/kernel/fs/exportfs/exportfs.ko
/lib/modules/4.1.27/kernel/fs/nfs_common/grace.ko
/lib/modules/4.1.27/kernel/fs/tfat.ko
/lib/modules/4.1.27/kernel/fs/lockd/lockd.ko
/lib/modules/4.1.27/kernel/fs/tntfs.ko
/lib/modules/4.1.27/kernel/fs/thfsplus.ko
/lib/modules/4.1.27/kernel/net/sched/sch_hfsc.ko

Thanks again...

Thanks for the output. I'd rather expect to see a module called nfs.ko like there is on the other platforms. I think we'll have to wait and see what @RMerlin has to say.

NFS client is not something I have specifically supported, it just happened to be enabled in Asus's kernel for previous models, but not for the HND models. I'll see if I can enable them without breaking the kernel.

NFS client is not something I have specifically supported, it just happened to be enabled in Asus's kernel for previous models, but not for the HND models. I'll see if I can enable them without breaking the kernel.
Thanks...

Merry Christmas everyone

Hello,
are there any news on this issue?
I'm having the same problem on Asus RT-AC87U with Merlin 384.7_2 tryng to mount from the router a remote directory exported on my nas.
The command output is the following:

Code:
admin@RT-AC87U-9D88:/tmp/mnt# mount -t nfs 192.168.10.100:/volume1/RouterBackup /mnt/RouterBackup -o nfsvers=3,nolock,_netdev,rsize=8192,wsize=8192,sync

pmap_getmaps rpc problem: RPC: Unable to receive; errno = Connection timed out
mount: mounting 192.168.10.100:/volume1/RouterBackup on /mnt/RouterBackup failed: Bad file descriptor

Thanks,
Giorgio

Hello,
are there any news on this issue?
I'm having the same problem on Asus RT-AC87U with Merlin 384.7_2 tryng to mount from the router a remote directory exported on my nas.
The command output is the following:

Code:
admin@RT-AC87U-9D88:/tmp/mnt# mount -t nfs 192.168.10.100:/volume1/RouterBackup /mnt/RouterBackup -o nfsvers=3,nolock,_netdev,rsize=8192,wsize=8192,sync

pmap_getmaps rpc problem: RPC: Unable to receive; errno = Connection timed out
mount: mounting 192.168.10.100:/volume1/RouterBackup on /mnt/RouterBackup failed: Bad file descriptor

Thanks,
Giorgio
Yes... Fix is coming in 348.9. Look at the changelog for the upcoming release (https://asuswrt.lostrealm.ca/changelog-382)

It says RT-AC86U and RT-AX88U, hope it will works also for mine RT-AC87U.
Thank you!
Giorgio
Well, unfortunately this new release does not fix the problem with client NFS. The errors are the same although now NFS does seem to be running...

/lib/modules/4.1.27/kernel/fs/nfs/nfsv2.ko
/lib/modules/4.1.27/kernel/fs/nfs/nfsv3.ko
/lib/modules/4.1.27/kernel/fs/nfs/nfs.ko
/lib/modules/4.1.27/kernel/fs/nls/nls_cp437.ko
/lib/modules/4.1.27/kernel/fs/nls/nls_cp850.ko
/lib/modules/4.1.27/kernel/fs/nls/nls_cp852.ko
/lib/modules/4.1.27/kernel/fs/nls/nls_cp866.ko
/lib/modules/4.1.27/kernel/fs/nls/nls_cp932.ko
/lib/modules/4.1.27/kernel/fs/nls/nls_cp936.ko
/lib/modules/4.1.27/kernel/fs/nls/nls_cp949.ko
/lib/modules/4.1.27/kernel/fs/nls/nls_cp950.ko
/lib/modules/4.1.27/kernel/fs/nls/nls_euc-jp.ko
/lib/modules/4.1.27/kernel/fs/cifs/cifs.ko
/lib/modules/4.1.27/kernel/fs/fuse/cuse.ko
/lib/modules/4.1.27/kernel/fs/nfsd/nfsd.ko
/lib/modules/4.1.27/kernel/fs/fscache/fscache.ko
/lib/modules/4.1.27/kernel/fs/exportfs/exportfs.ko
/lib/modules/4.1.27/kernel/fs/nfs_common/grace.ko
/lib/modules/4.1.27/kernel/fs/tfat.ko
/lib/modules/4.1.27/kernel/fs/lockd/lockd.ko
/lib/modules/4.1.27/kernel/fs/tntfs.ko
/lib/modules/4.1.27/kernel/fs/thfsplus.ko
/lib/modules/4.1.27/kernel/net/sched/sch_hfsc.ko

Try any or all of the following and try again:
Code:
modprobe nfsv2
modprobe nfsv3
modprobe nfs

Try any or all of the following and try again:
Code:
modprobe nfsv2
modprobe nfsv3
modprobe nfs
Thanks Colin... I tried to add those modules (modprobe) with same results...

mount -t nfs -o nolock 192.xxx.xxx.xxx:/mnt/net_backups/VPN/Backup/QB /mnt/QB
mount: mounting 192.xxx.xxx.xxx:/mnt/net_backups/VPN/Backup/QB on /mnt/QB failed: Bad file descriptor

My linux box logs show an accepted request so it is trying... Again, I have tried the same mount from another linux client and all works fine as does a test RT-AC68U running 380.70...

Thanks Colin... I tried to add those modules (modprobe) with same results...

mount -t nfs -o nolock 192.xxx.xxx.xxx:/mnt/net_backups/VPN/Backup/QB /mnt/QB
mount: mounting 192.xxx.xxx.xxx:/mnt/net_backups/VPN/Backup/QB on /mnt/QB failed: Bad file descriptor

My linux box logs show an accepted request so it is trying... Again, I have tried the same mount from another linux client and all works fine as does a test RT-AC68U running 380.70...
UPDATE - Got it. Turned off AIProtection - works now. Apparently the modules are not loading (had already tried the AIProtection toggle...). Now I need to figure out how to address AIProtection...

UPDATE #2 - It is the Two Way Intrusion Detection system within Trend Micro... Does anybody know if it is possible to whitelist something there?

Last edited:
UPDATE #2 - It is the Two Way Intrusion Detection system within Trend Micro... Does anybody know if it is possible to whitelist something there?

You can't.

You can't.
Damn... Ok thanks Eric. I will use a different solution for my problem - I can export the directory via NFS export on the router, mount it on my linux server then load the files that way. It was just cleaner if I did it from the router side...

I appreciate your efforts and support... Oh, and thanks to Colin again...

Hi, I am having the same problem with an Asus RT-88U mounting an NFS share on my Synology box. I want to mount a share instead of plugging in a USB thumb drive. However, I am getting the file descriptor error. Based on reading this thread, is it confirmed that with AIProtection on, it's not possible to mount an NFS share at this time?

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!