What's new

No 5 Ghz SSID broadcasting

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Niklas Nyberg

Occasional Visitor
Hi
Im having an Asus RT-AC68U running on Merlin 384.7_2. Im having problems with the 5 Ghz band, its not broadcasting the SSID anymore. 2 GHz working.

What could be wrong? Have made restart of the router.

Niklas

I had this issue the other day. The I live in has loads of routers and devices around. Login to your router under wireless. Look what channel your 5GHZ is on. If you are using Merlin ASUS-wrt software on your router there is another tab under wireless called site survey. See what other devices there are using 5GHZ and what channel they are on. Go back to your own 5GHZ and change the channel from auto to one that’s not being used. Fixed the issue for me.

Nik, I think you've got to check the highly obvious things to begin:

Capture.JPG

Make sure this is set to "No".

What channel is your 5GHZ broadcasting on? Eg 40 etc etc. You’ve cropped the screenshot so I can’t see. Once you’ve done that, go to the site survey tab and run a survey. See if there are other devices using the same 5ghz channel as yours. (Look for the numbers)

What channel is your 5GHZ broadcasting on? Eg 40 etc etc. You’ve cropped the screenshot so I can’t see. Once you’ve done that, go to the site survey tab and run a survey. See if there are other devices using the same 5ghz channel as yours. (Look for the numbers)

It was not my screen shoot. :)
But I have tried different channels. Sometimes it works for a while and suddenly I cant connect to the network again. I think this is a new issue that I didn't heave before the upgrade to 384.7_2.
I have also made a survey and chose another channel for testing.

That is the beta version. Correct?
Wow...is it???

Another thing: I have the same results when I test the network with my mobile phone.
Had a look at the Netspot.exe and I can see that the 5Ghz SSID sometimes doesnt broadcast the SSID:

Attachments

• ASUS.jpg
    ASUS.jpg
    71.4 KB · Views: 387
That is the beta version. Correct?
No, it was not a beta but I downgraded the router to 384.6 anyway but its the same thing. On one floor I connect and getr 35 Mbit/sec and on Another floor I got no internet Connection at all, but the phone is connected to the 5 Ghz network with 2 dots.

Last edited:
Hm..I got no connection to internet if I stand 5 meters from the router who is in sight….on 5GHz, all working on 2.4Ghz...

Last edited:
Thinking about doing a reset, it was a long time ago I did it. If I do that and recreate the same SSID and password, will the devices automatically connect without doing anything on the devices? Have some house automation devices connected.

hm..did a full reset but it still not working from my pc, got it working from my phone...this is sooooo strange. Having an Asus pce-ac68 card.
2.4 Ghx is no problem at all

So the issue is just with the wireless card on your PC? Any other devices you can test. Sorry though this was with all devices.

What did your site survey look like? Very cluttered?

So the issue is just with the wireless card on your PC? Any other devices you can test. Sorry though this was with all devices.

What did your site survey look like? Very cluttered?
Depending of what channel I use I get different effects/results.
Sometimes a mobile phone can connect to the SSID but have no internet connection.
Sometimes a mobile phone got internet connection on the same SSID and with great speed. But no pc.
If you look at my picture above you can see all id's and that's not much networks around me.

Sometimes it looks like it sending the SSID a short period of time but closes directly. Its very obvious on the picture above too.

Starting of think that the 5Ghz radio is broken.

hm. I looks like there is a power saving function here...Got all working again this morning at channel a new channel again, 48. I shutdown my pc and when I came back there 5Hgz SSID signal but I could not connect to it. Then I stopped the radio on 5 Ghz and started it again and all worked
Yea….this is soooo strange.

hm. I looks like there is a power saving function here...Got all working again this morning at channel a new channel again, 48. I shutdown my pc and when I came back there 5Hgz SSID signal but I could not connect to it. Then I stopped the radio on 5 Ghz and started it again and all worked
Yea….this is soooo strange.
turn off airtime fairness