What's new

No high end Asus routers released in a year!?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

lagrave

Regular Contributor
Why haven't Asus released any high end¹ routers since last autumn or so? The semiconductor problems? Are there any known upcoming devices?

¹ I'm referring to something that checks most of these boxes
* WiFi 6e
* 10 Gbps Ethernet
* AX11000
* USB 3.2 (USB-C?)
* 3x3
* WPA3
* Expensive :cool:

I'm sure the chip shortages aren't helping. But 3x3? I wouldn't be interested in anything less than 4x4:4 with the specs you indicate. :)

I would want the following to upgrade from an RT-AX86U main router.
  • WiFi 6E+ (with actually improved radios)
  • 10GbE/5GbE/2.5GbE for both WAN and LAN
  • Quad-Core or better 2.5/3.0 GHz CPU with AES-NI+
  • Upgradeable RAM
  • Onboard/replaceable SSD
  • No RGB
  • No gangsta RED.
And as inexpensive as possible in 2021/2022. :)

I'm sure the chip shortages aren't helping. But 3x3? I wouldn't be interested in anything less than 4x4:4 with the specs you indicate. :)

• Upgradeable RAM
  • No RGB
  • No gangsta RED.

What a dreamer! :)

I'll take two mainstream vertical 2.4/5.0/6.0 tri-band WiFi6e AX86Us and a matching outdoor wall-mounted directional wireless node.

OE

They did, you just haven't been paying attention ;)

• Upgradeable RAM
  • No RGB
  • No gangsta RED.
All these specs are available, but just not in the same device.

Not 6e?

Given a seemingly equivalent choice of an Asus Zen n-pack OR n Asus standalone routers, what might be the deciding considerations besides cosmetics and any supposed ease of use?

OE

Given a seemingly equivalent choice of an Asus Zen n-pack OR n Asus standalone routers, what might be the deciding considerations besides cosmetics and any supposed ease of use?

OE
Required coverage is the primary reason to decide between a router or a Zenwifi kit.

Required coverage is the primary reason to decide between a router or a Zenwifi kit.

I assume you mean 1 router vs. 2 or more Zen devices. For example, I was asking about 2 routers vs. a 2-pack Zen kit.

OE

I assume you mean 1 router vs. 2 or more Zen devices. For example, I was asking about 2 routers vs. a 2-pack Zen kit.

OE
If the Zenwifi hardware specs fit your needs (i.e. you don't need 4/8 LAN ports on both, etc...) then the Zenwifi pack might be more interesting, especially these new models since they pack high-end hardware. Previous Zenwifi tended to be more mid-range hardware.

• Upgradeable RAM
  • No RGB
  • No gangsta RED.
I presume you're aware that WiFi 6E has to have fixed antennas and as such has a lot of limitations when it comes to the rest of the hardware, especially based on your ideal product.
If you don't mind, please PM me, as I would like to bounce a few ideas with you, as I've been thinking about something similar for a while now and have at least another interested party.
Would burgundy red would be ok?

the Zenwifi pack might be more interesting, especially these new models since they pack high-end hardware. Previous Zenwifi tended to be more mid-range hardware.

Hence my question... previous Zens were not so interesting... I will have to consider the newer ones going forward.

OE

Hence my question... previous Zens were not so interesting... I will have to consider the newer ones going forward.

OE
This might be what you've been waiting for?

This might be what you've been waiting for?

Well, yes and no... I posted above what I'm waiting for... the usual performance router, but then the reveal in this thread of the new Zen ET12 has raised the Zen product to a new level... now I'm wondering what the deciding factors might be now that the technology gap between Zen and non-Zen appears to be narrowing.... but perhaps not the cost. We shall see... I like that Zen is becoming more respectable, so to speak... Asus tries hard and deserves respect, imo.

OE

Surely it's not just me that thinks this looks like a mini drone?

h525

I presume you're aware that WiFi 6E has to have fixed antennas and as such has a lot of limitations when it comes to the rest of the hardware, especially based on your ideal product.
And more important: WIfi 6E is NOT a replacement for Wifi 6, unlike Wifi 6 was with Wifi 5. Wifi 6E implies the addition of a third radio, which means it's unlikely to ever be available in entry level products. So I have a hard time seeing Wifi 6E as ever becoming mainstream.

I see Wifi 6E as just a specialized product, like Broadcom's tri-radio was a few years ago (I forgot the name they gave to that tri-band platform). The next real upgrade will be WIfi 7.

Do you have any estimation on what kind of difference if any the GT-AX6000 would have running OpenVPN with its 2.0ghz cpu compared to the 1.8ghz chip in the AX88U?

And more important: WIfi 6E is NOT a replacement for Wifi 6, unlike Wifi 6 was with Wifi 5. Wifi 6E implies the addition of a third radio, which means it's unlikely to ever be available in entry level products. So I have a hard time seeing Wifi 6E as ever becoming mainstream.

I see Wifi 6E as just a specialized product, like Broadcom's tri-radio was a few years ago (I forgot the name they gave to that tri-band platform). The next real upgrade will be WIfi 7.
As we're going of topic anyhow, MTK will demo WiFi 7 at CES in January, although consumer products not likely until 2023.

What's WiFi 6 & WiFi 6E | ASUS Global

I see WiFi6e as WiFi6 as it should have been in a perfect world... fully implemented. Tri-band and 160 MHz squeezed onto the 2.4 and 5.0 bands is half-baked, imo. :)

OE

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!